Win98 Resource Kit

cyberthug

2 - FlashGet v1.73 is the one I use. No special "extras", no "ads", yada-yada. Real "clean"...Final note here -
This “vulnerability” is present in all versions of FlashGet 1.9.xx.
Flashget

The earlier FlashGet v1.72 Build 128, which has to be registered, is the best version. v1.73 is freeware with a google toolbar or maybe advertising. I have come across 3 versions of v1.72.128, the good one is fgf172.exe, 2.709.895 bytes, 24-May-2006, from http://www.oldapps.com/flashget.php?old_flashget=19 , actual download location http://download.oldapps.com/Flashget/fgf172.exe This version of v1.72 contains the "FlashGet-replace.xpi", which does NOT work with Firefox v3.5.9.

Files downloaded with Flashget have as file modification date the date of the upload to the server, not the date the file was downloaded.

I got the "Opera Plug-In for FlashGet v1.1", Flashget v1.72 and FlashGot working together nicely with Firefox and Opera, it's a little tricky. Under Firefox I have the choice to save via Firefox/FlashGot or via FlashGet.

MS Windows 98 Resource Kit

The term "Windows 98 Resource Kit " has been used to refer to 2 different things:

- the apps (a sampler is on the Win98SE CD, in folder \tools\reskit\, the real stuff is on the book CD)

- the ebook file \tools\reskit\rkbook.chm, of the book with the same title with 1766 pages

I know of 2 versions of the eBook file:

- RK98BOOK.CHM, 3,255,721 bytes of 30-Apr-1998 (on the WIn98FE CD, on the Win98SE CDs and on the book CD of the book)

- rk98book.chm, 3,223,414 bytes of 28-Aug-2001, together with another file rk98book.chi (24,732 bytes), on the MSDN Library October 2001 CD

Both versions have an identical content, both versions are missing the 88-page index of the printed book. The version on the MSDN Library October 2001 CD, however, is preferrable, it contains 2 extra tabs (Index and Favorites), and several additional buttons. The Locate buttons displays in which chapter you are and the Print button has a better selection of what to print.

Edited by Multibooter

I just checked what's available at the download link ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/ against what's on the book CD. I downloaded that stuff with Flashget v1.72; my settings were soft on their server with the maximum of simultaneous jobs set to 3: download time 1hr 13mins, 2373 files, 91 folders, 162MB. Here some interesting findings

1 ) The version on the server is the latest version of the MS Windows 98 Resource Kit apps, and differs from the version of the book CD

NOTE: The latest version of the eBook files (rkbook.chm and rkbook.chi) is on the MSDN Library October 2001 CD (see the preceding posting). By combining the content of the server with the eBook version from the MSDN October 2001 CD, one could create an iso with the latest version of the MS Windows 98 Resource Kit.

Some stuff was removed from the MS server, like MSDICTATION, MSVOICE and DIAGNOSE\FILEWISE.EXE. Here is a part of the report generated by Beyond Compare:of the differences between the book CD (mounted as V:) and the stuff downloaded from the MS server (in folder F:\Win98Reskit_24May2012):

Binary Comparison of <V:\> to <F:\Win98Reskit_24May2012>

2409 files in 93 folders

2368 files match exactly

------------------------

5 files don't match

-------------------

HELP\WIN98RK.CHM [the CHM on the server has 308,133 bytes and a modification date of 9-Nov-1998, the CHM on the book CD has 311,429 bytes and a modification date of 30-Apr-1998. Both .chm files open Ok.]

SETUP\CDSETUP.EXE

SETUP\RESKIT.INF [reskit.inf was apparently fixed by MS for deleted files]

SETUP\RESKIT.STF

TMC\WIN98TMC.DLL [the DLL on the server is v1.1.02 of 14-Jan-1999, the DLL on the book CD is v1.0.0.1 of 29-Apr-1998]

The version on the MS server is a later version than the CD which came with the printed book. I plan to make a 2nd download with Flashget, to make sure that everything is identical to the 1st download, and then put that stuff into an iso container, labeled "Windows 98 Resource Kit, final Technet Server version". I would speculate that the stuff on the server came from a TechNet CD. Unfortunately, I do not have such a Technet CD in my archive, only, for example, the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit (TechNet CD, January 2000) or the Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit (TechNet CD, February 2000).

BTW, while I was looking at the old TechNet CDs, I came across the CDs "Windows codenamed Millenium Beta 1 [Dec.1999]", Beta 2 [Jan.2000] and Beta3 [June 2000]., which may contain DLLs possibly useful for Win98SE.

38 folders and files only on left [= not on TechNet server version]

---------------------------------

APPS\IMAGINE_LE\QP\AUDIO\FRESK2_1.WAV

APPS\MSDICTATION\

APPS\MSDICTATION\MSDCTX86.EXE

APPS\MSDICTATION\README.TXT

APPS\MSVOICE\

APPS\MSVOICE\README.TXT

APPS\MSVOICE\SDK30S.EXE

APPS\NETSHOW\GALLERY\MEYDENBAUER\BLANK.HTM

APPS\NETSHOW\GALLERY\NAME.HTM

APPS\NETSHOW\HOWTO\CCAG\IMAGES\AMPLITUDE.GIF

APPS\NETSHOW\HOWTO\CCAG\IMAGES\REDUCED.GIF

APPS\NETSHOW\HOWTO\CCAG\IMAGES\SAMPLE.GIF

APPS\NETSHOW\IMAGES\NSFAMILYBTTM.GIF

APPS\NETSHOW\IMAGES\NSFAMILYTOP.GIF

APPS\NETSHOW\NSFAMILY.HTM

DIAGNOSE\FILEWISE.EXE

TMC\ACCESS.HTM

TMC\CONFIG.HTM

TMC\CONSOLE.GIF

TMC\DEPLOY.HTM

TMC\DESKTOP.HTM

TMC\DOCUMENT.GIF

TMC\DXTSHOOT.HTM

TMC\FILETOOL.HTM

TMC\GUI.GIF

TMC\HELP.GIF

TMC\HELPBOOK.GIF

TMC\HTML.GIF

TMC\NETADMIN.HTM

TMC\NTDISK.GIF

TMC\NTTILE.GIF

TMC\PC32.GIF

TMC\PERFORM.HTM

TMC\POWERTOY.HTM

TMC\REGTOOL.HTM

TMC\SCRIPTOL.HTM

TMC\SERVICE.GIF

TMC\TMCTKPAD.DLL

2) Download issues of Flashget v1.72

2 files could not get downloaded initially by Flashget (red cross in Flashget window), a 2nd attempt to download these 2 files individually with Flashget was successful.

Edited by Multibooter

For FireFox FlashGet Add-On - FlashGot (I have v1.2.1.18)

Apparently there are multiple v1.73 Build 128 - the OldApps version is almost identical to the one I use, the difference being "getflash.dll" (mine is newer 09/12/2006 vs 07/07/2006 and bigger) and "jchchs.ini" (chinese language support - mine is newer and bigger). No advertising whatsoever - the Google Toolbar might be installed (stealth-like) but can be uninstalled. There is, however, a "black box" in the upper right where adverts used to be. No registration.

FlashGet Version 1.73 (2006.9)

* support flash(swf) file download

* add a search toolbar

* bug fixed

FlashGet Version 1.72 (2006.5)

* All free !!! * Context menu add to Opera 8.x

* some fine changes

* bug fixed

I would say that mine might be the last "fixed" version, as I got it when it still existed on their webpage when it became "free" and the v8.x versions came along (?). Mine is 3,224,263 bytes (much larger due to newer Google and the noted files - dated at download 11/22/2006). Apparently "GetFlash.DLL" is a BHO (I disabled mine in "Manage Add-Ons" - don't remember when) and is (maybe?) used for checking newer versions (can be "turned off" in Options). Using ResHacker reveals two BitMaps in OldApps one (both Chinese) and 4 in mine (both English). Also in the "Manage Add-ons" is the Flashget Toolbar (really unnecessary - allows for it to show up in IE ToolBar) and the Browser Extension (to allow for right-click - "Download"). I have no clue how to get rid of the "black box". Also, did a "test" of Universal Extractor on it/them - they might function without the Installer (didn't do any more than "start" it up).

OK, that's all I know. End of line...

edit - Here it states

After v1.73 flashget stopped installing adware on your PC but imediately after 1.73 (1.80) it started opening ports.
Edited by submix8c

... No advertising whatsoever - the Google Toolbar might be installed (stealth-like) but can be uninstalled. There is, however, a "black box" in the upper right where adverts used to be. No registration.FlashGet Version 1.73 (2006.9)
Hi submix8c,

Flashget

I haven't given a thought to the black box until you mentioned it. Some old versions of Flashget install stuff to \Windows\System\Adcache\ , probably a leftover of Cydoor_CD.exe adware. I don't remember whether it was detected by Kaspersky, but I don't want to have any stuff on my computer which starts to communicate to who knows where, especially since I have opened my firewall to it.

I have tried out many versions, but rejected all except that specific build 1.72.128 from oldapps.com. I have not tried out the specific build you have, but there are so many sub-builds, perhaps because the advertising content was changed frequently. I didn't trust the other builds I had tried out, and some time ago I was at the point of dumping Flashget altogether because of security concerns, but this build seems Ok. Registration should be no technical issue. I have attached a screenshot of Flashget v1.72.128 from oldapps.com with the black rectangle at the top right.

post-183045-0-21760600-1337984239_thumb.

Edited by Multibooter

The download link displayed in posting #1 is very interesting.

1) The link is misspelled. There are apparently 2 folders on the MS server with this name, one with a CAPITAL R "Reskit" and the other with a SMALL r "reskit"

2) When downloading with Flashget from the folder with the small "r", a varying number of files gets downloaded, usually 9 files, but sometimes 22 files, until the download terminates. When downloading with Flashget from the folder with the capital "R", 2000+ files get downloaded. On the 1st download attempts from the folder with the Capital "R", 2375 files and 91 folders were downloaded, on the 2nd attempt 2362 files and 89 folders. Also the folder with the small "r" has a blank modification date.

The bad news is that the Win98 Resource Kit (RK) ftp server will be shut down by MS in May 2005. :(

So go ahead and download while you can. :)

Tried couple more times, still no go--- I can believe i actually spent hours tweaking my settings & programs, trying to get into the site.

You are right. Connection is really bad. So far I am not able to download anything. However, now I can see at least the directories.......

The 2 different folder names may be the cause for the download issues, and may be the reason why the stuff is still on the MS server, maybe it's hard to delete. I would speculate that this could explain the varying download results, and that other such instances could exist, and I fully trust that there are no security issues. I am attaching a screenshot of the 2 different folder names. Firefox or FTP Voyager, for example, display only one folder with a Capital "R".

post-183045-0-00434400-1337999762_thumb.

Edited by Multibooter

1) The link is misspelled. There are apparently 2 folders on the MS server with this name, one with a CAPITAL R "Reskit" and the other with a SMALL r "reskit"

AFAIK, this also implies that these files are hosted on a non-Windows server since I don't think that Windows is able to handle two files or folders in the same directory that differ only by capitalization. :) Amusing.

Cheers and Regards

The download link displayed in posting #1 is very interesting.

I can't reproduce this.

What do you see when you go to the parent directory ...

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98

I can't reproduce this.

Actually, I can't either. I was going off the screenshot that was posted, so it must have been true at least at some point.

[ As an aside, FlashGet used to be a favorite of mine for quite some time, though I have not used it in a long time. Looking back through my app collection I see that I have Multibooter's v1.72build128 (fgf172.exe - 9/8/2006 - 2,530,788 bytes), and two versions of v1.73, (fgf173.exe - 9/12/2006 - 3,069,001 bytes) and (fgf173.exe - 2/16/2009 [though flashget.exe is dated 9/11/2006] - 3,224,463 bytes). This last one must be the same version you have submix8c, assuming your size of 3,224,263 bytes was a typo. I have not looked closely at the other version of fgf173.exe, it's just part of the collection. LOL ]

My current FTP client of choice is FileZilla and I looked at the MS server Win98 site with that, along with just using my browser (current favorite Iron, a version of Chrome). Like CharlotteTheHarlot, I only saw the Reskit folder and not the reskit one. Using Filezilla, I downloaded the Reskit folder and got 2382 files and 91 folders, not counting the Reskit folder itself, with 170,022,244 bytes. This was consistent over two separate downloads. The contents seem to be consistent with Multibooter's analysis of the differences he found between the server contents and the book CD contents he referenced. (Might the files available on the book CD that are not available on the server be made available somewhere, assuming they might be of some value or interest?)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

My current FTP client of choice is FileZilla
Hi bphlpt,

What is the last/best version of FileZilla for Win98SE?

Most of the files not downloaded by Flashget v1.72 were .HTM, .GIF, .TXT and .DLL (see list in posting #32), maybe Flashget v1.72 has an issue. When selecting in the right-click menu of the FlashGet Site Explorer: "Open in Browser" ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/APPS/NETSHOW/HOWTO/CCAG/IMAGES/REDUCED.GIF , which is on the list above, is displayed Ok in Firefox, when selecting "Download" in the right-click menu of Flashget Site Explorer, nothing happens.

The file ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/APPS/NETSHOW//GALLERY/NAME.HTM loads Ok into Firefox, but is not displayed by FlashGet v1.72, only a zero-length file with no prefix, just ".htm".

post-183045-0-57687100-1338043820_thumb.

Edited by Multibooter

When the folder name with the capital "R" is entered into the Address field in Flashget Site Explorer, only 1 folder "Reskit" is displayed, not a 2nd folder "reskit". So the issue of the 2 folders may be an issue of Flashget. Unfortunately I couldn't upload the screen shot, the global upload quota was exceeded :(

@bphlpt - yes...typo... that's the one I have (and now including the other two... the "older" being the FileHippo one and BTW, the same differences apply except additionally Flashget.exe is even smaller/older).

2) When downloading with Flashget from the folder with the small "r", a varying number of files gets downloaded, usually 9 files, but sometimes 22 files, until the download terminates. When downloading with Flashget from the folder with the capital "R", 2000+ files get downloaded. On the 1st download attempts from the folder with the Capital "R", 2375 files and 91 folders were downloaded, on the 2nd attempt 2362 files and 89 folders. Also the folder with the small "r" has a blank modification date.

The 2 different folder names may be the cause for the download issues, and may be the reason why the stuff is still on the MS server, maybe it's hard to delete. I would speculate that this could explain the varying download results, and that other such instances could exist, and I fully trust that there are no security issues. I am attaching a screenshot of the 2 different folder names. Firefox or FTP Voyager, for example, display only one folder with a Capital "R".

Nuh-uh... no problem with FG173. Might I suggest you Upgrade to the OldApps version I posted, disable the said BHO module, and get the FF Add-On I suggested (not Opera Compatible? don't know...). I have absolutely no problem whatsoever (FF 3.6.28 on an XP-type system). Point of interest - I'm not sure if the "Add-On" you are using would work on newer FF or if the one I suggested would work on your version of FF...

The folder in question makes no difference to "name" - they both point to THE SAME FOLDER CONTENTS (r vs. R is an "alternate server pointer")! Obviously a "bug" in your FGv172 that was fixed. The contents is actually within the "R-" folder (which is the only one I have showing) and the total files/folders is 2382/91 and is an "extracted" CD-ROM image (notice the Autorun.inf?).

HTH...

Edited by submix8c

Hi bphlpt,

What is the last/best version of FileZilla for Win98SE?

Most of the files not downloaded by Flashget v1.72 were .HTM, .GIF, .TXT and .DLL (see list in posting #32), maybe Flashget v1.72 has an issue. When selecting in the right-click menu of the FlashGet Site Explorer: "Open in Browser" ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/APPS/NETSHOW/HOWTO/CCAG/IMAGES/REDUCED.GIF , which is on the list above, is displayed Ok in Firefox, when selecting "Download" in the right-click menu of Flashget Site Explorer, nothing happens.

The file ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/APPS/NETSHOW//GALLERY/NAME.HTM loads Ok into Firefox, but is not displayed by FlashGet v1.72, only a zero-length file with no prefix, just ".htm".

FileZilla for Win98? Sorry, I think it's currently only available for XP and later. For what it's worth, the files I downloaded seemed to be complete, at least the two particular files you mentioned above seemed correct. If you have a list of the files you are having trouble downloading correctly I might could find you another temporary link for them. My previous question stands. Any idea where I might be able to download the "missing" files that were available with the book?

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt