Progress about 2.0 RC

Gape

let's just say that you got dial-up & after installing win98 you go a M$ to do your updates (not DX9 or WMP) but all the rest included ie6

that would take you a long time , right? would wont to do this again

But then later on (could be days or weeks) got something wrong with your pc like a big & harmfull virus or you just want to do a fresh new install because your windows is to mess-up or you just want to re-do your partitions

you'll have to go back to M$ to download the updates again

Why would I have to go to the ms site and download all the updates again when I already have Gape's service pack, directx 9.0c, IE6sp1, WMP already on CD? I'd wager a lot of other forum members here already have them as well.
But what if you could download the SP2 from Gape with already the ie6 & some updates & put it on a cd?

maybe long to download from a dial-up but it be only one time & no more after (execpt for new updates that could come out after the SP2 from gape) but those would be small size anyways (althought M$ doesn't support Win98 anymore)

Then if you go & reformat your hd with a fresh new installation of w98 then all that you will have to do is take out your win98 cd from the cd-rom then put in your cd with the sp2 from Gape & do your updates from the cd (much faster)

Given the particular slipstreaming method I use, having those updates included included (or not included) would have absolutely no effect on the time it takes me to setup a fully patched 98se system from scratch...so in that respect I guess you could say Im nuetral.

BTW: already got the ie6 SP1 on a cd with Dx9c & WMP9 (for win98se) so these goes in to windows 98se right after the installation.

But i really dont see why gape would not at lest put in ie6 , dont see the point of continue using ie5.5 (way to old , buggy , not safe etc..)

Well one reason I can think of is that there are people dont want IE6, let alone even use any version of IE. It wouldnt exactly do me any harm either as I also have a DSL net connection. However, I still dont think forcing everyone to download it (multiple times?) and install it is a good idea.
EDIT : Forgot to add , Gape could also use Winzip or Winrar to compress & split his SP2 in to a fiew parts for the dial-up users that way you could donwload 1 small part at the time

Exp: 10 small files or more for the dial-up users & just one big file for the high speed user

That would not solve the issue of downloading large duplicate files though...

I have similar sentiments regarding saving time during installation, a seemingly interminable process much of the time.

Since I virtually always am installing IE 60 SP1 and ALL of the updates over <no IE there presently because this is 98lite eliminating IE 5.0 before I start> I would want an easier way to install all of the updates than just doing them "the hard way". It would seem that an SP having an optional feature to do this is a reasonable request; making it mandatory is as foolish as not being allowed to ask to have it at all.

Hmmm <light bulb appears over my head> what if the Gape's service pack was able to detect the presence of (just as an example) ie6sp1.exe and directx_9c_redist.exe in its currect directory, and if they exist...install them, and if they dont exist...dont do anything?

Looking at this from a batch file stand point it seems pretty simple. If $filename exists, execute it; if it doesnt exist, do nothing. This way if people wanted to include said updates all at the same time, just plunk them in the same directory as the service pack.

Would this method even be possible/feasible? Ideas anyone?

people dont want IE6, let alone even use any version of IE.

Oh, is that so huh? My computer comes bundled with IE like every other wndows machine. I wana keep it there, rather than installing other 3rd party crap. those who say "o, but IE is only dominating the market cos its the default browser in the OS and ppl dont know any better" better get their heads checked. The internet is a marketing device, of course they are gonna see ads for alternative browsers. heck, some people will be given alternatives upon installation of their internet on their system via their internet startup cd from their ISP...

The day that one of these open source browsers comes the default in windows, is the day i turn to budism...

for a dialup user, it doesnt really matter what the size of a file is, it can be done. personally, the largest files ive downloaded have been 700mb on dialup.

QUOTE (ssmokee @ Jan 5 2005, 09:10 PM)

people dont want IE6, let alone even use any version of IE. 

Oh, is that so huh? My computer comes bundled with IE like every other wndows machine. I wana keep it there, rather than installing other 3rd party crap.

I think you missed the previous portion of that sentence. I said that there are people who dont want IE6. I was not insinuating that everyone did not want IE.
those who say "o, but IE is only dominating the market cos its the default browser in the OS and ppl dont know any better" better get their heads checked. The internet is a marketing device, of course they are gonna see ads for alternative browsers. heck, some people will be given alternatives upon installation of their internet on their system via their internet startup cd from their ISP...

No idea where you were trying to go with that.

there are ways of removing ie like using ieiradicator

windows 98 would benifit from having ie 6 and the newer ie system files as lotsa apps need ie 6 to work properly,instead of using ie 6 just get rid of the icons so you can't use it,i know some ppl don't want ie but some apps need ie,until we have lots more apps that don't need ie we should just keep it,i know you gain a bit of speed but you loose some compatabilty,it used to be ie 5.5 but no more,i keep ie around so all my apps work i simply don't use it,just get it fully patched and your ready to go.

zoem if you don't want ie simply remove it,there are apps that can remove it.

ssmokee i fully understand where your coming from,some ppl may not want ie but if a particular app needs ie and there are no alternatives they either go without that app or put ie in so that app works,it's all up to the user what they want and what they don't want,i know i don't want ie but i use apps that need ie and there are no alternatives availible

You're wrong on the softpub.dll file, MDGx. Version 5.131.1880.14 of the

softpub.dll file is from the NT4 MS04-011 (835732) update. It can work ok

under a Win9x system after you register the newer softpub.dll file with the

regsvr32.exe tool.

My bad, I didn't know. :o

Windows 2000 has softpub.dll file version 5.131.2134.0001, MDGx.

Perhaps zoem doesn't have a computer fast enough to handle Mozilla browsers.

Need at least a P233 Mhz PC with 64 megs of RAM to run Mozilla [those are

the minimum system requirements]. IE can run on slow and fast PCs.

Who cares which web browser is selected as the default, just as long as it

doesn't bring down or crash the system.

Well, it's been fun making posts at this forum. I'm moving on with my life.

Erp:

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT that not everyone needs any and every hotfix/patch.

That said, the problem is that there are far more updates that are perfectly fine to install in anyone's system than the far fewer list of those that can potentially cause more harm than good. In essence, there are a few updates to be nearly universally avoided; fortunately, for a few of them, they were eventually replaced by better-still hotfixes that not only corrected the original problem, but also the unintended side effects as well, thus now suitable for all of us to install because they are at best helpful and at worst only innocuous, etc.

Indeed most of these are what is in the SP and they won't be optionable since there is no reason to limit their installation.

However, MS never changed the status of any of them from the "stonewall" position they have always had on them. Fortunately as a group we have "acquired" them and they make up a goodly portion of the SP. Thus, we are making them available despite MS's position of overly restricting their being available only to those who "need" them, etc.

To make matters worse, some of the updates HAVE been available that cause the harm to some systems while the larger amount of updates that are truly safe aren't available by "normal" means. Indeed, even Windows Update has distributed "bad" fixes at times, only to be [hopefully] corrected later. For example, take two YOU pointed out, namely that 828026 is broken and should be avoided because they had to release 832353 which both replaces it and fixes the damage that 828026 causes if installed, etc.

cjl

but i do want IE. no windows system in my house will ever run a mozilla based browser as its default.

may i ask why? (so harsh to mozilla)

i dnt trust open source browsers. i prefer to trust a prgram that is coded behind closed doors, than ones that are opened to the public. especially wen it comes to internet banking.

going a few pages back; eventually ms will stop supplying updates to ie 5.01 for security patches (if they already havnt), but continue to update ie6. so wouldnt it make more sense to include IE6sp1 in the SP as it would secure the latest security vulnerabilities to windows 98 thru IE?

zoem is would make perfect sense to include ie 6 and and it's updates and remove the ie 5.5 updates cuzz ms don't support ie 5.5 anymore,firefox is open source,opera is not,i trust opera more than firefox,open source has it's advantages and disadvantages and same goes for closed source but closed source usualy tends to be better at times

the wmp and dx updates are not needed as those can be dled seperately,maybe gape could improve his partial slipstreaming to include hotfixes and the ability to add wmp and dx and there updates