Gape

You're wrong on the softpub.dll file, MDGx. Version 5.131.1880.14 of the

softpub.dll file is from the NT4 MS04-011 (835732) update. It can work ok

under a Win9x system after you register the newer softpub.dll file with the

regsvr32.exe tool.

My bad, I didn't know. :o

I just got one question

Why not put in updates for explorer 6?

i mean if you do a fresh install of windows 98se , then go on line to micro$oft updates then the first update to be done is explorer 6.

i can understand not installing Dx9c & only using Dx8 or Dx8.1 for some older games or software\hardware but not installing explorer 6 , i don't see why not?

if you ask me he should include ie6 and all updates,i know it would increase the size by maybe 35-50MB but it would be worth it,most apps now need ie6,the ie that comes with 98 is ie5 and thats very old now,adding ie6+updates would be a very good thing but the newest directx+Updates aren't always needed as some win 98 users don't have directx 9.0c hardware(i have dx 9 hardware but i dl dx if i need it(i don't need to as i keep it around)

if you ask me he should include ie6 and all updates,i know it would increase the size by maybe 35-50MB but it would be worth it,most apps now need ie6,the ie that comes with 98 is ie5 and thats very old now,adding ie6+updates would be a very good thing but the newest directx+Updates aren't always needed as some win 98 users don't have directx 9.0c hardware(i have dx 9 hardware but i dl dx if i need it(i don't need to as i keep it around)

I agree with you 100% he should put ie6 in his service pack

i don't care about the size since i got a 5.1 Mb/s connection i usely download around 600 KB/s

but even for someone with a slower connection it would be worth it because once you got it on your HD you just have to burn it on a cd & then you don't have to download it again.

you format your HD install Win98se then take your updates cd (hopefely made by gape) then click to install the updates & your done , this would be just great.

Edit: i hope we gona here from him soon because his last post was the 10 of this mounth

he said something about partial slipstreaming meaning i hope we can soon make slipstreamed windows 98 se installations with ie6+the service pack and give the option to install the updates

yeah he said he was sick but maybe he has given up on the 98se sp 2.0 or maybe he needs a very long break

I think Gape is too ill to use his PC and make a post on this forum.

I agree with soldier1st as Gape needs a long break to get well.

Get DirectX 9.0c if you use certain hardware like DV camcorders.

My younger brother got a Sony Handycam DV Camcorder that

contains a software CD bundling DX 9.0b. I think MS said in its

DirectX FAQ that games, including older ones, work better with

the latest version of DirectX available.

It would be nice to include IE6 SP1 as part of the Win98se SP,

as long as it does NOT contain the fix for the deletion of large

files in Win98. I know about the problem of deleting a very large

number of files in Win98/ME + IE6 causes a hang in Explorer.

Just do NOT delete too many files at once. Deleting too many

files that way can lead to 'incorrect free space' errors which must

be fixed by running Scandisk either in DOS or Windows.

Incorrect free space errors can sometimes cause Windows 9x/ME

to hang and only occurs on FAT32 partitions. Windows 2000/XP

systems can handle FAT32 a little better than 9x/ME systems.

If you need to delete a ton of files with IE6 installed, use File

Manager as it does a better job of removing files than Windows Explorer.

just got one question

i mean if you do a fresh install of windows 98se , then go on line to micro$oft updates then the first update to be done is explorer 6.

i can understand not installing Dx9c & only using Dx8 or Dx8.1 for some older games or software\hardware but not installing explorer 6 , i don't see why not?

If you are one of the vast majority of internet users that still use slow dialup connections, adding monsters like IE6 and dx9c would force users to into a massive download of which they already might have anyway. If Gape included IE6 and dx9c in sp2, and then for sake of argument, say he released sp2.1 two months later with a few small fixes. That would force everyone to download IE6 and dx9c again, which would be a major kick-in-the-nuts for dialup users.

For simplicities sake it is best if very large OS updates be kept separate, letting Gape concentrate on the smaller core updates/patches that everyone is going to want. If you want to grab the full IE6 sp1 admin install, there is very brief guide on how to do that here. After its downloaded, it can be easily added to a custom 98se cdrom.

i would love to have ie included on my windows 98 se custom cd instead of having to dl it or install it from another source,same goes for dx i bet

have to find out how it';s done

but the ie i got is the full one is ie6+sp1 and i don't need to do those steps to dl it

just the updates i don't got

just got one question

If you are one of the vast majority of internet users that still use slow dialup connections, adding monsters like IE6 and dx9c would force users to into a massive download of which they already might have anyway. If Gape included IE6 and dx9c in sp2, and then for sake of argument, say he released sp2.1 two months later with a few small fixes. That would force everyone to download IE6 and dx9c again, which would be a major kick-in-the-nuts for dialup users.

For simplicities sake it is best if very large OS updates be kept separate, letting Gape concentrate on the smaller core updates/patches that everyone is going to want. If you want to grab the full IE6 sp1 admin install, there is very brief guide on how to do that here. After its downloaded, it can be easily added to a custom 98se cdrom.

I totally agree with ssmokee. If you folks want to download large files with

a dialup connection go install a third party download manager like Download

Express, Star Downloader or LeechGet. These download managers can pause

and resume downloads so you don't have to start your downloads over again

if you lose your dialup connections. The creator of Spybot S&D has written

an article about download managers here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/article...d-managers.html

The IE6 SP1 updates should be left out because MS always comes out with

a newer update for IE6 SP1. Also if you want to delete or shred files, Spybot S&D

has a built-in file shredding tool. I use it to 'shred' confidential files.

The IE6 SP1 updates should be left out because MS always comes out with a newer update for IE6 SP1. 

Two things:

1) Not clear just how much longer they will continue to do this considering their cavalier attitude about leaving all but XP behind at IE60SP1+ while XP gets IE60SP2+ etc.

2) To my knowledge, there have been 28 updates to IE60SP1/OE and while many are redundant in the rollup sense, some are apparently NOT ever included in any other IE update, and are thus "stable". If we have a base package that includes all of what gets us to say, Dec. 04, then everyone is at most a recent rollup release or two away from current for the foreseeable future, etc. [One for IE and one for OE.]

cjl