Progress about 2.0 RC

Gape

Hi all,

I have just found a proper patching tool. I hope I'll finish 2.0 RC in a few days. :thumbup

I need a web space for the file. Could anyone help me about it?

What's new in RC?

NEW: Windows 2000 Desktop Icons as optional feature.

NEW: Generic USB Mass Storage Device Drivers as optional feature.

NEW: "DOS Prompt Here" as optional feature.

NEW: Better Notepad.

NEW: Fixed REGEDIT.EXE.

NEW: More than 10 new hot-fixes.

NEW: Some small fixes and improvements.

ADDED: Uninstallation.

U can try to contact www.softpedia.com.

Anyway, look at this.

It's and old one.. The beta version, not the release candidate.

The file has been last updated on November 12th, 2004 10:58.

****, I can't wait for 2.0 RC... :D

Now only Desktop Icons feature is missing. Notepad and Regedit patching seems working properly. Desktop icons feature is not difficult, but I try to add 98lite-SLEEK compability. Hope it will finish soon.

couldn't you do like what litepc does n add stuff to the add/remove and if you want it check it or if not uncheck it to remove it?also could you add the Windows 98 Critical Update Notification 4.0 as an optional component?

soldier1st, I have almost finished the SP 2.0 RC, and you're requesting new things. :D

We can discuss new things for 2.1. ;) Please, wait for 2.0 release, after that, you can ask them, again.

burkgul Posted on Dec 10 2004, 09:02 AM

Thanks for your hard work and an amazing result so far. Please add the 98lite-SLEEK compability to 2.0 RC, it will be very appreciated.

that may be in 2.1

when this is done gape deserves a break for awhile

I have just finished giving Gape all of the 98lite SLEEK [V1] stuff I am aware of.

If you are using 98lite SLEEK [V1] or 98lite MICRO, the SP 2 will not update EXPLORER.EXE or SHELL32.DLL, but will attempt to update SHELL32.W98. Thus, the SLEEK [V1] shell will continue to operate normally after the SP is installed. However, the references to ME-type icons, etc. will not apply, as these are wholely contained in those files which are only relevant to plain 'ol 98SE or 98lite OVERWEIGHT or CHUBBY. Since SHELL32.W98 is the original SHELL32.DLL from 98SE, the update is required to fulfill the security problem addressed in Q313829 regardless of your choice regarding the cosmetic ME-type icons.

Other than the bindings-enhanced NOTEPAD.EXE [which has to replace the standard NOTEPAD.EXE as modified by 98lite for SLEEK [V1] operation, thus it also needs to be Sleek-modified exactly the same way, etc.] I don't believe there are any [current] files in the SP 2 that are in conflict with SLEEK [V1].

Anyone running 98lite SLEEK [V1] after the SP2 is applied should report back HERE any new occurences of the shell32 errors that weren't there before in case we goofed on anything else!

As an aside, I can provide patches for various third-party apps to be SLEEK [V1] compatible such as Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.00 and 6.01 [haven't done 6.02 yet]. Please note that Symantec/Norton AntiVirus 2003 and following cannot be made SLEEK [V1] compatible due to internal consistancy check spoiled by the attempt to patch for sleek compatibility [damned if you do/damned if you don't], etc.

Additionally, I have an updated launcher for Windows Update from MS. [it was provided by Windows Update to anyone who used a Windows XP install disk to check for upgrade compatibility issues; if you allowed MS to download to you updated Windows Update files as suggested, you get this newer Windows Update launcher] As it comes with no surprise, this file ALSO needs to be patched for SLEEK [V1] compatibility, this there are patched and unpatched versions. [Note: the "new and improved" Windows Update no longer provides this service, but fortunately I did capture the relevant files!]

I would expect this new launcher to be made part of a future (SP 2.1?) service pack, but I think it needs to wait until we determine what form the SP takes with regard to 98lite SLEEK issues in general, etc. However, there is no problem doing it yourself independently of the SP releases.

Anyone out there have any feedback relationship with the author of Power Archiver? Versions past 8.80 are NOT compatible with SLEEK [V1] and it's at least much harder/perhaps impossible to patch for sleek compatibility. A PAYING CUSTOMER perhaps can explain the problem to him/her/them/it and get this fixed, etc.

The kazaa-lite versions just before 2.43 needed a patch for SLEEK [V1] but the authors were contacted; Version 2.43 IS sleek compatible.

I can also show anyone the CORRECT way to install IE60/IE60SP1 under SLEEK [V1]. Shane Brooks is working on a way to automate my method for future releases, but as of 98lite 4.7 you have to use my manual method and the patched LOADWC.EXE file to get a FULL and UNTAINTED install. [On the 98lite website there are now-proven incorrect references to how the unpatched LOADWC.EXE file is "extranous" along with instructions to eliminate it, which is being updated to be consistent with my method, etc. once it becomes automated/integrated into the next 989lite release; this is a lot of work for Shane because it covers new territory for 98lite not much different from what the SP has to do, namely deal with optional upgrade packages that only MAY be present, compounded with the need to interfere with the MS installer of said package, etc.]

cjl