What inspired your nick/handle?

rupert86

On every forum/chatserver, few people use their real names in their nicks/handles. The main point of this post is: What does your handle mean, and what caused you to make it your identity?

As for mine 'rupert86'. Ummm well, everybody is quite intelligent to find out 1986 is my year of birth.

Ah and rupert is inspired by Rupert of Hentzau, the side-villain in Anthony Hope's novel, The Prisoner of Zenda.

So for the novel: It is part of our high school syllabus, since the times my father did high school :) .

Written in 1893, this novel is old enough to retain the horse-riding, but new enough to have trains and pistols. So our hero is Rudolf Rassendyll (a care-free fellow), brother of Lord Burlesdon of the Great Britain (a count). Decides to go to the coronation of King Rudolf Elphberg of Ruritania (a small imaginery country lying in the area of today's Germany, Hungary and Czechoslovakia). Anyway he finds out that he is a perfect clone of the King, and becomes friends with him in the same dramatic manner, that usually happens in this type of plot. But when King's half-brother Black Michael kidnaps him, his bodyguard Colonel Sapt immediately places Rassendyll in the King's place. (Pity the King never attended his coronation.)

Now here is the real thing: The villian can't say that the current King is an imposter. The fake King can't say that Black is a devil, who is imprisoning his half-brother, the real King. Michael depends on his 'Six' devils, the youngest/cleverest/brutalist/etc. etc. of whom is Rupert.

The last one is Princess Flavia. She is sort of Queen to her nation, and whoever marries her has a chance of a very strong throne. Rassendyll tries to stay out of and keep her out of love, but they really fall in it, as should happen for the sake of the story.

Near the end, Rupert offers Rassendyll that they'll kill Elphberg in the castle of Zenda, nobody will know it, and he should sieze the throne. He denied (that's a hero, ain't it).

One day, after making the correct decisions, Rassendyll's party invaded the Castle of Zenda. The King was recovered. Five of 'the Six' and Black Michael was murdered. Rupert managed to escape unwounded, but he had a good fight with many-a-people before running away. Rassendyll abandoned the throne, and eventually had to abandon his ladylove (the climax), and return to his Landlord sort of brother, where he spent all of his remaining life in seclusion.

Now thanks for reading this long post. Once I was sitting w/ my classfellows, and asked if you were asked to become a character of that novel, what would you choose to be? Now of course all the fool guys wanted to become Rassendyll, and all the fool girls wanted to become Flavia. I was the only one, who favoured either Col. Sapt or Rupert.

But why on earth?? Now look here, in the good party:

Rassendyll: Loses his love.

Flavia: Loses her love.

Elphberg: Misses his own coronation/remains imprisoned/etc.

Sapt: He is the kingmaker my boys. It was up to him. When he found he couldn't get the real King to his coronation, he immediately planted another. When he found that the imposter wasn't needed that much, he easily disposed of him. It mean the King is nothing. He is a statue, a frontman. The one that matters is Sapt.

In the bad guys:

Michael: Gets murdered/doesn't get his dream (the throne).

Five of 'the Six': Also get murdered.

Mme. de Mauban: Black posed as her lover, but was insincere. Anyway her love got died, + she had a rape-attempt on her (not a very good thing to credit, eh).

Rupert: Tried his best to devise plans and make them happen, but when failed, escaped scot-free, w/o any public denouncement, and without physical damage.

Now why did I give precedence to Rupert over Sapt. Sapt was an old fellow. Rupert was young. He was a daring one, and he did, and as Rassendyll himself once said that even if one is doing bad, it should be done in a stylish way.

Now this was quite detailed. I hope that you ppl don't get bored reading this all so long. I'm waiting for your stories too.

wow! long post for a name lol.

My name came from a grill thing on the side of my computer.. couldn't think and since Biohazard would be taken i changed the o to a 0 capitalized the Z and D to give it a more personalized look.. and here i am.. ;)

n3qbio.jpg

Wow rupert86, I didn't know that much went into some people's handles! :thumbup

My nick, Jamey, is actually apparently somewhere on my birth certificate even though my real name is James. I was gonna be called Amy if I was a girl but I wasn't so it was Jamey instead. (Ooh it rhymes... :lol:)

I just Googled for it and most sites say its a masculine pet form of James (huraah!) but there was one site that said it's a Scottish pet name for a woman... :blink:

But, meh, at least it's pretty rare as a name/nick/handle :D

@rupert86 first to say the idea of this post is great, now we can know more about each other... and i have to read The Prisoner of Zenda some day :lol:

well most of you know about the game Simon Says so that's the reason. i was looking for a nick 4 years ago and in some seconds i elected this i can't believe i'm still using it :P

i use other one, something like my "war-nick" because i found nice the idea of having a nickname with a symbol (as prince :)). the other one is BioHaZaRD, and don't flame me, is different to @Bi0haZarD and i've been using it for months xDDD

*wonders what happened to gamehead 199......*

Yeah, why 200 specifically? (why not 001, why not 007, etc.)

Were there already 199 such names?

I really don't know... See, we had created a so-called "website" called "Gamehead2002's Webpage" or something like that, and then I found that it didn't sound right... So then, I guess I took off the last 2 and kept it that way... :wacko:

phyxsius means "ready to fly"

Latin is one of the most beautifull languages in the world besides french and spanish.

I have had different handles/nicks my first nick was "smile" and the second was "soulja" but then i started using names with an "X" or a "Z" so then i used "xaero".

I still use it but for different purposes..

By the time i became a digital artist i created a piece that i wanted to call "ready to fly"

but then i started using latin for my art and i ended up with my nickname phyxsius because i wanted to refer to my first digital piece and reminding myself that whatever happens in life always be ready to fly (be ready to deal with things that you weren't ready for, but willing to except and take it as it is) like when people say: "go with the flow".