Over-looked utilities in XP uncovered

prathapml

To run any of these apps, go to Start > Run and type the executable name (ie: charmap).

WINDOWS XP HIDDEN APPS:

=========================================

1) Character Map = charmap.exe

2) Disk Cleanup = cleanmgr.exe

3) Clipboard Viewer = clipbrd.exe (view contents of Windows clipboard)

4) Dr Watson = drwtsn32.exe (Troubleshooting tool)

5) DirectX diagnosis = dxdiag.exe (Diagnose & test DirectX, video & sound cards)

6) Private character editor = eudcedit.exe ( creation or modification of characters)

7) IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package)

8) Microsoft Synchronization Manager = mobsync.exe ( allows synchronization of files on the network for working offline. UNDOCUMENTED).

9) Windows Media Player 5.1 = mplay32.exe (Retro version of Media Player, very basic).

10) ODBC Data Source Administrator = odbcad32.exe

11) Object Packager = packager.exe ( packaging objects for insertion in files, has comprehensive help files).

12) System Monitor = perfmon.exe ( Everything you ever wanted to know about any aspect of PC performance )

13) Program Manager = progman.exe (Legacy Windows 3.x desktop shell, I use this when I don't want other people messing with my machine...).

14) Remote Access phone book = rasphone.exe

15) Registry Editor = regedt32.exe [also regedit.exe] (for hacking the Windows Registry).

16) Network shared folder wizard = shrpubw.exe (creates shared folders on network).

17) File signature verification tool = sigverif.exe

18) Volume Control = sndvol32.exe (Just in case you've lost it from your tray).

19) System Configuration Editor = sysedit.exe (modify System.ini & Win.ini just like in Win98! ).

20) Syskey = syskey.exe (Secures XP Account database - BE CAREFUL.. appears to encrypt all passwords...UNDOCUMENTED).

21) Microsoft Telnet Client = telnet.exe

22) Driver Verifier Manager = verifier.exe ( utility for monitoring the actions of drivers ?( useful if having driver problems? UNDOCUMENTED).

23) Windows for Workgroups Chat = winchat.exe ( old NT utility to allow chat sessions over a LAN, some help files available).

24) Microsoft Configurator = msconfig.exe (used to clear out startup menu, but lot more uses too)

HAVE FUN !!!

control userpasswords2 - You might remember this from Windows 2000. Easiest way to have your account be passworded, but not have to type it at startup.

sol - Solitare. Why else would you install windows?

calc - faster to type this in than to go through the start menu

i can't believe what i miss...

cmd.exe: launches the command prompt. you can use DOS commands from here just type cmd.exe /? for more info.

explorer.exe: launches a new explorer window (win+e obtains the same result); can be combined with parameters to open a double panel window with %USERPROFILE% and so on.

wmplayer.exe: runs windows media player (latest versions don't know olders).

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

if you create a shortcut to a program, then put it into the System32 folder,

eg..

shorcut to winamp and call it "w.lnk", you can drop this into your system32 folder and run winamp by going,.. Start, Run "w"

@prathapml, well not "hidden or over-looked" but i'm sure most of people don't make use of them :P

@bledd, nice advice and let me remember you can build your .cmd files and call them like .lnk files.

edit.com: DOS text editor, not common on everyday use but i'm working with it on another thing... ;)

@Simon,

I've created all the shortcuts I need in my unattended programs folder, when the batch for each program installs the program and reg key(s), it copies the shortcut to s32 folder for me

also, the ultimate run command.. spider (winxp only) :)

Those programs run because system32 is included in the path system variable.
Right, All programs whose path is defined in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

will run too.

And I think you need to change the shell used while logging users in, and reboot to take effect:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="ProgMan.exe"