Getting access to "System Volume Information"

prathapml

Normally, you can't access that folder but now it's all going to change! If you ever have a virus in SVI, do the following:

WinXP Pro under FAT32

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.

5. Click OK.

6. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

WinXP Pro Under NTFS

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.

5. Click OK.

6. Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Properties.

7. Click the Security tab.

8. Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Choose the account location if appropriate (either local or from the domain). Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK, and then click OK.

9. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

WinXP Home

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to gain access the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt).

3. Type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F

Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions.

4. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

5. If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the following line at a command prompt:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /R username

This command removes all permissions for the specified user.

so whatz stored in the system volume folder ?

Junk, most of the time. I haven't ever seen that folder being useful. On the contrary, it ends up having issues with anti-viruses (when files have a copy there) and eating up disk-space, so on....

think the folder's used mainly for the RESTORE process.

i've had a virus in that folder, and usually, it's locked from entry (it should be!)

to get access to it, i just get into safe mode, and then it's accessible.

I sometimes delete EVERYTHING in it, after KNOWING that i don't need to use restore.

i've done this coz of two reasons usually; a virus in SVI, or my C:'s runnin outta space.

another technique i use to access the System Volume Information folder is to rightclick on it, then click on "Sharing and Security".

under that tab, enable file sharing and also allow network users to change files. you will get an error message stating that the folder cannot be shared.

click OK and you will be able to browse the folder and delete if needed.

That folder is just for "System Restore" and turning off system restore should get rid of all the data in that folder, and maybe the entire folder itself.

That folder is usefull to keep around because of the registry backups in it. If you dig around in the folder you will notice a few or alot (depending on how many resotre points your system has) of folders named RP??, where ?? is a number. The highest number in the the list is the most current restore point. So now you know the most current restore point, then go into that folder, then go into the snapshot folder, and here is where you will see your registry backups, all you need to do is rename them and plug them back into system32/config folder and thats it.

Thats the only real use I've had with that folder, besides using system restore itself. Hope this gives you techs yet another option to repair windows.