Shrinking System32 folder - OEMBIOS.BIN

mpattonm

hey guys, yeah after messing with this some more I noticed that removing the oembios files after running minlogon and then switching back to winlogon the activation reminder goes away. so i guess it makes sense that if you don't install them in the first place windows just has a brain fart or something and forgets about them. on a side note, i'm guessing most of you guys don't hang around mp3car.com a lot so if anyone uses minlogon that huge list of instructions really isn't necessary anymore. all you need to do is add the Config value under the Winlogon tree. So you can more easily switch between minlogon and winlogon now. I don't really think minlogon is useful for desktop systems though. I'm only using it for my carpc install since I want it to boot up as fast as possible.

damnit, it doesnt work the way u said gdogg, i still get that activation message, i dont know how u managed 2 get passed it without using modded files

EDIT: im using xp pro sp2

this is very intresting to me and im just wondering if you guys have tried putting the files in the "remove files" section of nlite on the newest build. cuz this should get rid of the setup even asking for them right? i tried just simply deleting them from a VLK setup (volume license key) and it goes into a loading settings/can not validate loop now at startup.

@godan

when deleting ANY files in i386 folder first goto

DOSNET.inf delete the d1, entry for it then

TxtSetup.sif & delete all lines calling that file, this way u avoid the error messages, thats all nlite does too

Wow, I just looked at the INF and SIF file for the first time just now. They both look so simplistic...

nLite and the registry don't seem so advanced to me anymore...

If i had to choose between editing in a GUI or registry, I'd choose the registry. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, i find this post very very interesting and i was thinking in doing kinda of a centered post where we could have all the information needed to make these transformations. Personally i find a bit... shall we say... time-consuming to read through all these posts and get to the end more confused that in the begining :P

So here it is: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry578701

See you around,

André Casal

Edited by andregcasal

windows throws a fit when you delete the oembios file, if you can find a way to avoid that, then major kudos!

its along time since i did it but...

a hex edit to winlogon.exe can fix that :ph34r:

Maybe minigun have the answer :D Edited by andregcasal