Shrinking System32 folder - OEMBIOS.BIN

mpattonm

i tested it properly (not in vmware) and after you apply the minilogon all the CURRENT USER settings are lost (its like starting from fresh) but its easy to re add all the reg tweaks and stuff :)

another thing is i dont think it can be put on to custom CD directly i got a stop error

and yeah there is only one user (obviously if u had multiple accounts you wouldnt touch this)

and it could open up new possibilities for hackers to exploit!! further testing and feedback is needed :yes:

I don't think this is something that you should slipstream into an install. I'll say it again, this is not meant for all users. All it really does is decrease your footprint by 12.5 MB and decrease boot time, but for a home system I don't think those few extra seconds really matter, do they? I keep my system running 24/7 so it doesn't for me I guess. The only reason I researched this was for "embedded" systems (I'm using that term loosely in relation to XP Pro based hobby projects ;).

Anyways, to see what MSFT says about MinLogon go here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dn...PE_MinLogon.asp

It's got a section on security as well. Have fun guys!!! :)

Just read... sounds nothing wrong with it as well as better locked down security. I May try this later.......

I never really like accounts anywway. I have always prefered the Old Win9x way where no longin is needed. So the No account problem isn't really a matter to me. ( Assuming that Software installed proberly )

And faster boot up time............ :thumbup

Well, 12.5 MBs would be nice to free up. I mean, look at other much smaller things in XP that Nuhi has removed...WordPad, Calculator, lol.

And as for the ALT-CTRL-DEL, can't the file needed for this be removed from the bin and just put back? Boot time speed is cool. I like 17 seconds but 14-15 would be better too, hehehe.

I also like the idea of XP being sort of "reverted" back to old ways of logging in, if I understand correctly that si what iWod is talking about. Does anyone feel like messing around with this file furthermore?

Missing CTL-ALT-DEL functionality isn't because of a missing executable. I'm guessing the normal winlogon captures that hardware event and handles it, but since minlogon was meant for kiosk type devices it ignores it. Just like if you've ever seen those old internet kiosks built from a Win98 system. If you knew the right commands you could bring up a command window, or explorer. Minlogon was designed to prevent you from doing that if.

you can still right click the taskbar and select task manager from the menu ;)

If you had really run it in kiosk-mode, you wouldn't have had access to the taskbar (no explorer.exe as shell, they just run a custom UI).

you can still right click the taskbar and select task manager from the menu ;)

If you had really run it in kiosk-mode, you wouldn't have had access to the taskbar (no explorer.exe as shell, they just run a custom UI).

kiosk mode?? i wasnt talking about that lol

i would like to mess with it if i had WinXPE with SP2.... the problem is that i don't have it and don't even know anyone who owns it. So that is a problem...

But Ctrl Alt Del is not avalible then may be i will give up on this . Ofcourse unless somebody find a way to bring it up again.