Linux Downloads FREE

MSNwar

is it possible to install it on an XP m/c with an option to like to learn a little more abourun either XP or Linux at start-up?

Well, it is ... but it's hard as hell!!! I tried to do it ... but with no luck ...

My advice ... don't even think about doing it!!

Its not that hard.

Use for ex Partition Magic n make:

1 Linux Native - etx2 partiton (This is your main Partiton) make it about 3 gig or bigger

and make 1 Linux Swap - swp partition about 512 or bigger.

and then you boot from ex the Red Hat disc n install n then Lilo will install wich is a bootloader that enables you too choose either linux or windows when pc boots.

/ you can make the partitions inside the red hat install program too but I like PQ magic better.

I downloaded the Mandrake Linux 9.0, Three CDs.

I think I will buy the Red Hat 8.0 Personal Version.

Mandrake. All are ISO files. I extracted all three files with IsoBuster and burned them to CDs with NERO.

The first CD is necessary only for installation. It is bootable though I have not tested that feature yet. It has an autostart feature. After I popped it into the CD-ROM drive it started up nicely. I hope to install it next weekend.

Here is the screen-shot. As you can see it supports multiple languages.

post-2-1033930454_thumb.jpg

Dual booting linux with windows is not hard as hell. jeez.

most distros, Mandrake included will ask if you have windows, and give you the option of a few bootloaders to use, most popular being LILO (linux loader)

it just pops a screen up on boot rather like windows would if dual booting with two versions of windows.

press 1 for linux mandrake 8, 2 for windows XP, etc.

and of course linux os are free to download lol

most servers will only give you slow speeds though.. they want you to buy the CD, then... buying the CD is only fair, its not ridiculously priced unlike windows, the price for most distros is very very fair considering the work done on the OS.

enjoy playing MSNwar.. out of curio what are you using, Gnome or KDE? and what browser?

I don't know much about Linux as a matter of fact I have never seen the operating system gui.However I just dug up a cd that came with my Abit KA-7 100 mobo and it is Gentus Linux.The cd says GL-6.2E.The cd jacket has 17 steps to install this.It says that the default installation package is Gnome Workstation,but you can choose KDE Workstation.Anybody know if this would be worth installing.Also if I installed it or any Linux can I get online with my satellite usb modem and can I use IE from M$.

FthrJack,

enjoy playing MSNwar.. out of curio what are you using, Gnome or KDE? and what browser?

I don't know for sure yet. My understanding is that Red Hat is using KDE now as a default. I'll probably load Red Hat using KDE and Mandrake using Gnome. Then swap them later if I can. Browser wise I'll stick with Mozilla probably. Like you said, just playing :)

I learned that Mandrake does not include support for MP3 because of copyright stuff. Got to find a way around that.