Using VB6 compiled applications in winPE

kreeper32bit

Hey i'm new to this, i want to use a vb6 application to provide information for a winPE function. I tried just copying the msvb6 runtime dll into the \i386\system32 directory but when i run the application from the command prompt it just thinks for a few seconds and then drops back to the command prompt. What am i missing here (i'm new using winPE)

If your VB programs have an icon on the forms then you will need to have a place to store temp files. VB will create a temp file for some reason because of the icons.

You have two options, remove the icons or add something like a ramdisk and set your temp variables to point to it.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

in winpe2004 and 2005 built from xpsp1 or better you dont need to register the vb6 dlls. Just have them in the same directory as your app and it will work. The easy way to do this is ofcourse to drop everything in system32

You need also the runtime licenses for the VB controls. Export them on a system with Visual Studio 6 and add it to WinPE.

they are stored in HKLM\Software\Classes\Licenses (or also available in a reg file on the CD media you got with Visual Studio.)