cant decrypt files after clean install

Vietfobster

ok i seriously need to give this a rest! i know my files are doomed but...

i searched around for editing certificates and i came across the "certificate services" in windows server 2003. will that let me edit certificates? maybe if i do that, i can create a certificate with the correct thumbnail #. but wut about private and public keys. bleh i guess i dont know wut im saying. oh well, its just a crazy thought lol.

• 3 weeks later...

WAIT DONT WORRY ole uncle Thumper is here to help u with ya little EFS problem :)

I have a clients PC which has had a new copy of Windows XP Pro installed over the top of an existing install whiched killed all the EFS keys because they didn't do a Windows repair, they did a new install .... very bad maynover if you don't have a backup of your keys :blushing:

Well time to get to business with my workaround for EFS...

Method:

1. I attached a small HDD (6.4GB) that I had lying around as Master and removed the NTFS drive so the Windows ME install would not have any probs with it (just in case)

2. I installed Windows ME on to the 6.4GB drive, without sound, video, modem, usb or any other peripherals (care anyways, didn't need em) When finished I then attached the NTFS drive as slave.

3 I installed NTFS Reader for Windows 95, 98, Me Ver 1.1 "NTFS_Reader_Setup.exe"

D/L here NTFS READER

4. Now I can use NTFS Reader to browse the through the NTFS EFS files and save them to my Win9x drive and OMFG it’s all back

Yes it is a lot of trouble to go to (1 hr to install WinME) but ask yourself this ... how much do you need your data.

Hope this helps

btw ppl it's my 1st post here ... don't expect to many as i am basically lazy ;)

WOOT WOOT!!!

i was currently getting my lost data ALL OVER AGAIN but thanks for u, i have HOPE!

ok heres wut i do...correct me if im doing it wrong

1. create another partition

2. install winME on that partition

3. boot to winME and install ntfs reader

4. the rest is history!

one quick question tho...do i move the encrypted data to the winME partition then move it back to original partition or something?

Hi I found this on ntfs reader :

Mit diesem Treiber kann Windows 9x auf NTFS-Laufwerke lesend zugreifen. Es werden allerdings nicht alle NTFS-Features wie EFS etc. unterstüzt. Eine erweitete Schreib-Version kann auf der Webseite geordert werden.

When translate i read "EFS D'ONT WORK" with ntfs reader.....

kroustibat

After Test you can save encrypted files... but you can't open it

• 10 months later...

I agree with army20, you can say byebye to your data :( ...

But perhaps, if you have your last SID you can change the new SID of your actual system (with NewSID from sysinternals.com) and you can use same name & password and perhaps windows can decrypt , don't have too hope ...

Edited by sonic