cant decrypt files after clean install

Vietfobster

chunkdog, how do u give urself permission on bartpe? i ran it but dont know where to go.

i disabled "simple file sharing and now theres a "security" tab on the file properties. i try to take ownership but still, i cant access the files. i still cant decrypt them.

Did you use the XPE plugin? If so, it should be just like Windows XP if it was installed on a systems hard drive, but with some bugs and limitations here and there. Just go to the files that are encrypted, and change their security settings to allow everyone access to them. Then try to decrypt them in Windows XP normally.

I really dont know if this will help, and you might want to look into the program I posted in my last post. If you give me your E-mail I'll send you a program that might help.

Temporary file is not erased. When EFS encrypts file, it copies its contents into temporary hidden file named Efs0.tmp in the same folder, as encrypting file. Then, it encrypts plain text by blocks and writes encrypted data into original file. After the process is done, temporary file is deleted. The problem is that EFS simply marks it as deleted without actually erasing its contents, which makes possible easy access to unprotected data by low-level data recovery software like Active@ Undelete. Solution - to wipe free disk space. Usually, even if plain text overwritten ones, small magnetic traces remain detectible, thus giving a chance to read erased data with proper equipment. To minimize this possibility, use commercially available software providing sophisticated data erasing algorithms like Active@ Eraser or ZDelete.NET.

here is what I wanted you to see on the website I had linked to in a previous post. Basically you could use a data recovery program to get the Efs0.tmp files back that contain an un-encrypted version of your file, IE the original file. You might not get everything back with this method, but I assure you that you will get a good majority of your data back, but make sure you specify your main boot partition to put the recovered data to, or another hard drive entirely.

As for a data recovery program, I would sudgest either "GetDataBack" or Ontrack's "Easy Recovery Pro". Both of those programs will do a great job. I have found getdataback to be the best IMO, but Easy Recovery Pro is alot easier.

P.S.

I have sent you a program to try and also the XPE 0.9.9 plugin for PE Builder, just unrar it and put the whole xpe 0.9.9 directory in your plugins directory for PE Builder.

thanks chunkdog! im gonna check my email rite after this reply.

getbackdata and easyrecoverypro seem like great products but i dunno if it can decrypt a file that doesnt have the rite certificate on the computer. i tried the "ownership" thingy with "simple file sharing" disabled and messing around with the "security" but still no luck. so i dunno if the programs will really work.

ok time to work with xpe plugin! THANKS ALOT CHUNKDOG. lets just hope it works :)

**sighs** i booted into bart xpe and did everything i could. in the end, it was a no go. oh well i guess ill just have to get my lost data all over again :( thanks for helping everyone.

EDIT: and ge0ph, i dont have to say goodbye to my files. i can get them off the net all over again. theyre not rare :) phew! lol

If it's using RSA encryptiong (most likely) it can be decrypted. However, the problem is time and raw processing speed. If the government needed the data....say espionage....or something, they may spend the time, otherwise....

depending on the system, and how long the encryption keys are, it can take upwards of 6 months to decrypt the files.