Laptop Low On Resources

zoem

Win Align Tool:A tool that tweaks a subset of system files(primarily office files)so they can be executed directly from thew file cache for faster performance

also is the tuneup wiz useless to keep since i don't have office installed?also opera and firefox are both much more secure than IE

IE has become the internet standard, and for me as an occasional web designer it is important to make my designs cross-browser compatible. in order to do this i use a combination of IE6 and Netscape 4.08. So personally, i have no use for firefox.

Tarun:

i would CLICK the link on your site to try the encryption test...but in IE i cant. i looked at your HTML and i have never seen the <BUTTON> </BUTTON> tags before? You would be much better off compatibility wise to leave that tag out.

i tested IE6 SP2 on verisign and it reports that it needs no upgrading. so thats good enuff for me to believe its secure enough for what i need it for.

soldier1st:

i use scheduler in order to check for windows updates. i leave my laptop on out of standby during the day/nite so when im out and about it checks for me, i cant be bothered doing it manually nowadays. i used to configure all systems i built and fixed for people with scheduler disabled. but in the last 2 yrs ive started enabling it due to the amount of internet threats. as with nowadays i configure my virus scanners to update daily, automatically. gamers who tweak their systems probably disable all this stuff to get the xtra 0.1ms out of their bootup speed to they can play quake as soon as possible wen they get home from skool, but thats their choice to put their system at risk.

gape:

i tried the above and it didnt help. still the same.

Tarun:

i would CLICK the link on your site to try the encryption test...but in IE i cant. i looked at your HTML and i have never seen the <BUTTON> </BUTTON> tags before? You would be much better off compatibility wise to leave that tag out.

i tested IE6 SP2 on verisign and it reports that it needs no upgrading. so thats good enuff for me to believe its secure enough for what i need it for.

Button tags found here.

IE has security holes. The browser test simply tests one form of SSL encryption which is used on some sites. Firefox has better protection, you would be wise to switch.

Btw, Firefox understands the website of mine perfectly.

this is gonna sound crazy but

G E T  A  N E W  L A P T O P

so winalign is of no use unless u use office apps and the scheduler is useful if you use the windows defragger?

its kind of pointless to buy a new laptop when all i need it for is instant messaging and internet browsing. so to me i dnt class it as obsolete cos its doing what its capable of. if i was to try and upgrade it to XP, THEN i would deem it as obsolete as its something it cant do. so i dnt see your logic.

believe it or not this thing runs windows me REAL good. ive never seen it so stable.

Tarun:

im aware that SSL test was farely pointless. how long have ppl been saying there are security holes in IE for now? since wat 1996? im sure 8yrs later there wouldnt be as many.. i dont keep large amounts of money in my bank account so i for what i use IE for it is adequate. besides, a properly written server side script should secure the holes found in IE if any. i cant c my bank, The Commonwealth Bank of Australia, or any other banking institution releasing 'NetBank' or similar to internet users to make their transactions to have their customers come bak to them saying ppl hav gotten their credit card numbers and made transactions from them due to faults in the software the customer was using. its the web developer that allows for these software flaws which can b a potential risk. sites stating that 'IE has 20,000 security holes and will steal ur credit card details' is misleading. its not always the software's fault.

as for the button command, obviously it exists. but i have never seen it used in HTML up till 4-5 days ago. and ive been using HTML for 7 years now. It looks as tho its mainly used for JavaScript and XML.

as for firefox being able to view your website perfectly, you and other firefox users may be able to, but what about the other 80% of internet users? using HTML tags which only a minority of internet users can properly execute in their broswers is not a smart move for any webmaster.

u really no how to endorse firefox huh lol.

Gape:

I screwed my installation of win98se by fiddling with stuff trying to find a solution to the prob. so im re-installing with windows me once i sort out some APM probs. i found an uninstall prob which should be corrected in ur next edition.

when i clicked to uninstall the service pack, it couldnt find the win98 files as they were on a network share n a screwed up the PC Card settings thus not having access to them, so i had to cancel and the uninstall deleted the INF files. so when i tried later to uninstall it said it could not find them.

win me is very picky on hardware that 98 is not,u can get me stable but a bit difficult,with win 98 it's not that hard

also iwas kidding when i said get a new laptop,i got an old one that does for me till i get a new one(my current one will not like win me but will go as high as 98)

win me is very picky on hardware that 98 is not,u can get me stable but a bit difficult,with win 98 it's not that hard

also iwas kidding when i said get a new laptop,i got an old one that does for me till i get a new one (my current one will not like win me but will go as high as 98).

win me dusnt like ISA hardware. its best to run ME without any ISA hardware. I had nightmares when i was running an ISA network card under win me. My laptop supports to only go as high as windows 98, however i am pushing it. i cannot seem to enable power management successfully. and it does not list 'composite power source' or 'apm battery slot' in device manager in normal mode, however in safe mode it does. i hav tried doing a clean install on win me...and an upgrade from 98 but no luck. this is the only difficulty im having.