better notepad...

i actually use cpad, but i was just wondering why notepad was better in the service pac. not seeing the correlation that it is better.

It's only better than original Win9x/WinME's Notepad. I've only added some missing shortcuts.

• 2 weeks later...
i actually use cpad, but i was just wondering why notepad was better in the service pac. not seeing the correlation that it is better.

It's only better than original Win9x/WinME's Notepad. I've only added some missing shortcuts.

Can you elaborate on what about it is better? Assuming we are talking about the file notepad.exe within SP 1.6.2. I notice that it is the same length as the standard one, but clearly different internally, etc.

Also, I have patched it to be compatible with 98lite SLEEK [V1] if anyone needs that as well. It is noteworthy [but not NOTEPAD-worthy :lol: ] that the difference between the unpatched and patched is precisely the same as the difference between the unpatched and patched original NOTEPAD.EXE as is normally encountered when using the original 98lite SLEEK [V1].

Installing SP 1.6.2 and 98lite SLEEK [V1] is in effect:

In order to install the SP 1.6.2 [i assume that 2.0 won't be different in any regard to this!?] all of the following apply.

Run the SP same as any other system. Eventually, after the reboot, you will have a non-functional system that appears to be 98lite CHUBBY but you cannot get any input from mouse or keyboard. [Tell-tale sign it's CHUBBY, not SLEEK: To the immediate right of the Start key is a slightly thickened double-vertical line. Anything beyond that is optional, and since this is a non-functional system at this point, you couldn't look any further if you wanted to, etc.]

Not to worry, boot to command prompt only or a boot floppy. You need to retrieve the Win95 EXPLORER.EXE and SHELL32.DLL that are installed within the 98lite subdirectory where you created the 98lite-modded win98 files. Curiously, the COMDLG32.DLL file survives the SP upgrade, so don't worry about that.

Replace %winbootdir%\EXPLORER.EXE with the one from that 98lite directory and replace %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the one from that 98lite directory as well.

Reboot to a now working SLEEK [V1] system with the SP installed as well.

At this point you have to either restore the NOTEPAD.EXE from that 98lite directory to %winbootdir%\NOTEPAD.EXE or replace it with the one I can provide that is patched ala the way 98lite generally patches files for SLEEK [V1] usage based on the one the SP provides, etc.

cjl

Can you elaborate on what about it is better?  Assuming we are talking about the file notepad.exe within SP 1.6.2. I notice that it is the same length as the standard one, but clearly different internally, etc.

Replace %winbootdir%\EXPLORER.EXE with the one from that 98lite directory and replace %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the one from that 98lite directory as well.

NOTEPAD.EXE was only modified with Resource Hacker for adding some new key-bindings. SP 2.0 does not contain this file, it use patching method for adding new key-bindings.

To use SP 2.0 on the 98lite SLEEK, you only have to replace SHELL32.DLL. Because SP 2.0 does not contain the EXPLORER.EXE.

["Patching" method only patches Windows 98 SE's original EXPLORER.EXE, so it does not touch if you have older EXPLORER.EXE like on the 98lite SLEEK.]

If you replaced NOTEPAD.EXE with an another program such as METAPAD, "patching" method will not touch your current NOTEPAD replacement, too. Because it only patches original NOTEPAD.EXE.