Use Advanced Search Option by default?

yes, its reg tweaks.

;-----
;-----  Change Default Search Options (1 = ON, 0 = OFF)
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001
"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001
"IncludeSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000000
"SearchSlowFiles"=dword:00000000
;-----  Enable Classic Search
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
"FullPath"=dword:00000001
"FullPathAddress"=dword:00000001
"Use Search Asst"="no"
"Settings"=hex:0c,00,02,00,1b,01,e7,77,60,00,00,00
;-----  Disable "Search Dog" and use advanced search
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant]
"Actor"=""
"SocialUI"=dword:00000000
"UsageCount"=dword:00000000
"UseAdvancedSearchAlways"=dword:00000001
;-----  Search All File Types
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex]
"FilterFilesWithUnknownExtensions"=dword:00000001

Next time, please take a look in the :angry: *PINNED* registry tweaks thread.

No offense, but the reg tweaks thread is 41 pages long and Im not going to look at every single page for 1 tweak that might not even be in there...

I tried using search and didnt come up with it so I asked.. obviously I wasnt searching for the correct terms if this tweak is in fact in there.

Thanks for the help

Hmm.... the attachment to the first post in that pinned thread had a listing of all important tweaks. Using search in notepad for the term "search" gave the above results!

No offense, but the reg tweaks thread is 41 pages long and Im not going to look at every single page for 1 tweak that might not even be in there...
Indeed! I agree. That thread has just grown too large for its own good. Maybe its time for starting a part-3 thread of that. :lol:

I've not yet got time to think of ways to make it easier for people - the last time I went to aggregate all tweaks into one file, it took 2 full days. :o

Let me see what can be done with that thread... please pitch in with suggestions, if any. :thumbup

Hmm....  the attachment to the first post in that pinned thread had a listing of all important tweaks. Using search in notepad for the term "search" gave the above results!

It did? Well shoot.. my bad then.. cause I did paw through that entire file... I mustve missed it somehow... regardless thx as always!

Indeed! I agree. That thread has just grown too large for its own good. Maybe its time for starting a part-3 thread of that. laugh.gif

I've not yet got time to think of ways to make it easier for people - the last time I went to aggregate all tweaks into one file, it took 2 full days. ohmy.gif

Let me see what can be done with that thread... please pitch in with suggestions, if any.

The only things I could really think of would be to

1. separate out the tweaks into categories.. like "IE Tweaks", "Explorer Tweaks", "Network Tweaks"... but then again.. that would take a tone of work.

2. Just have one page of all of the tweaks mentioned.. in other words have one person modeerate the thread and simply add anyone else reg tweaks to that one page.. that way we could just use our browser search the entire page for keywords..

Additional note:

The registry keys mentioned above is a whole lot of settings across the range of search. Please use only the settings that *YOU* want to set - otherwise you might find unexpected effects. And also, the "yes" and "no" (that is, the dword:000001 and 00000 values) are set according to how the general public wants it - you might need to change it for your own purpose.

A good idea is to keep these keys in mind, and then set whatever settings you want - and then go into the Regedit tool, and see what values have been set.

• 5 weeks later...

So i finally got around to trying this out and even after using the following regtweaks I still need to choose advanced options when I open windows search...

;-----  Enable Classic Search
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
"Use Search Asst"="no"
;-----  Disable "Search Dog" and use advanced search
"Actor"=""
"UsageCount"=dword:00000000
;-----  Search All File Types
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex]
"FilterFilesWithUnknownExtensions"=dword:00000001

any ideas?

Well, these tweaks work for me:

"AutoComplete"=dword:00000000            <--- AutoComplete                    (Disabled)
"BalloonTips"=dword:00000001             <--- Balloon Tips                    (Enabled)
"SocialUI"=dword:00000000                <--- Search Dog                      (Disabled)
"UseAdvancedSearchAlways"=dword:00000001 <--- Advanced Search                 (Enabled)

"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000000           <--- Case Sensitive Search           (Disabled)
"IncludeSubFolders"=dword:00000001       <--- Search Subfolders               (Enabled)
"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001            <--- Search Hidden Files And Folders (Enabled)
"SearchSlowFiles"=dword:00000000         <--- Search Tape Backup              (Disabled)
"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001        <--- Search System Directories       (Enabled)

Also, what prathapml said, the following settings have nothing to do with the search assistant:

"Use Search Asst"="no"

The "Use Search Asst" has to do with the search assistant, but it disables it, so maybe that's where you're going wrong.

• 4 years later...
yes, its reg tweaks.
;-----
;----- Change Default Search Options (1 = ON, 0 = OFF)
;-----

I came across this in one my searches (no pun intended) and I got curious: Neither in XP SP2 nor in XP SP3 this is necessary, since whatever search option you click is remembered in the registry (same exact key and values) - so why bother hack (or "tweak") the registry?

Can you please enlighten me?

Thanks!

James

There are many reasons people would want to do this... presetup for end users via image or script are just 2...

This is the reg I use to enable the advanced search...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

REM Sets the option to always use the advanced files and folder search config

0 = Disable

1 = Enable

REM - Sets the option to use the search assistant (dog)

0 = Disable

1 = Enable

Thanks, dandirk. I have another curious question: in my searches I also came across a utility that does the same but costs 99 cents:

Better Search Defaults

Now... why would I pay for something like this when I can edit the registry directly?

Why would anyone pay (even if it's only 99 cents) for something like this when he can edit the registry directly?

Isn't that weird?

Thanks!

James

Possibly in this extreme case... Maybe people didn't know how to edit the registry. Maybe people know how but would rather purchase an easy and fast tool to do it for them? There are many tweak applications out there that charge a fee yet do not provide a magic tweak but rather a collection of reg/script tweaks that are easy to set/unset?

I can tell you if I had to do 20 tweaks, I would pay for a tool to do it.

Edited by dandirk

dandirk, I think you are right. I got curious and decided to "risk" 99 cents... I purchased the Lock My PC Now and WOW! I didn't expect this to be so polished and so much fun.

It's only a convenience shortcut but it really saves me from going back and forth between the mouse and the keyboard.

I guess I could have downloaded something like this for free somewhere else but it was accessible and instant. So you are right - there is value in something simple like this.

Thanks dandirk - I am learning something new every day!

Edited by jamescl