Networking Five Computers

Eleo

My router only has four ports, or slots, or whatever you call them. Unforunately, it is necessary to have five computers networked.

I was told with two Ethernet cards installed in one PC, I could use internet connection sharing to my advantage, so I put two in one of the workstations (not the planned sever; it is a very tight system and hardly customizable; there's not room for s*** else in it besides what's there.) So I tried this:

DSL Modem -> Router -> Workstation with two Ethernet cards -> Server

as well as

DSL Modem -> Workstation with two Ethernet cards -> Router -> Server

Neither worked, for reasons beyond me, but I did read ICS can't be used on networks with a domain controller, so whether I got those two setups to work is pointless.

I was told I was supposed to use NAT, but I can't figure that out either. Can anyone suggest a solution using the equipment I have?

Erm, right.... :wacko:

Do you want to have 5 pc's plugged into the router? or 1 DSL and 4 pcs?

Do you need all the machines on the same network? if so, then you will need an aditional hub/switch. Easiest option:D also is your router really a router? or is it a switch? routers normally have 1 cat5 network socket and another socket to goto a data line - phone or network... It could be a combined router and switch... If your not sure, then put the make and model on here. we can tell you...

Do all the pc's only need the internet? or are there other resources needed? i.e. data and printers...

Internet connection sharing is fine if you need to control or just to expand your network for internet only. if you need to browse the rest of the network, it wont work.

Is your server running a server software? or just basic windows, but with shares?

If the server is indeed a server then i would setup your kit like this:

DSL modem plugged into Server network card 1.

Server network card 2 into your router/switch.

then the other pc's into the router

If i understand your description correctly, then this will work - its how I run mine! :D

The server would then need to be setup to route between the cards - this is where NAT comes in... But you need a Server operating system for this, or some software to emulate a NAT router...

Hope this helps ! :thumbup

Let me elaborate.

I have five PCs, one of them is the Server. The Server has Windows Server 2003 installed, but obviously I can't do anything with it unless I can somehow communicate with the other 4 workstations.

The router, obviously, has a WAN port and four other ports for computers. This would be adequate if I had three workstations in a server, but I have four workstations and a server.

The only way for the server to have access to the rest of the network is by sharing a connection from my workstation. My workstation, not the server, has two ethernet cards in it. The Server cannot take another network card, as it is a very tight system with no room in it for anything else but what it is in there (my dad stole it from work; it's basically a company PC and was built that way so people couldn't take it home.)

I shouldn't need anymore equipment than what I have; although it would be easier to get a bigger router or a USB hub or something, I should be able to get the network running with what I have.

Internet Connection Sharing, according to Microsoft, will not work correctly of the workstations have a domain controller.

All of the PCs need the internet.

Your plan doesn't work because the Server only has one network card and cannot take anymore. Thanks for trying, though.

There is no way to connect 5 PCs into a 4-port router!

The best way to connect your clients to the Internet is to install Proxy Server software and configure the clients to access the Internet via the Proxy.

@Eleo

You can connect more then 4 computers even more then you ever need and there are different ways to set up your network.

1° DSL Modem -> Router -> Server with two Ethernet cards

With this setup the router act as a DHCP server and assigns a IP to one of the NICs. The gateaway for that NIC is the IP of DSL Modem. Then setup the server to act as a DHCP server and from the second NIC go to a switch. The other pc's are connected to switch with the gateaway the servers IP.

2° DSL Modem -> Router -> 3 computers connected to the router and 1 to the switch -> other computers connected to the switch. (This is more easy)

Hope's this will help you.