Disk consistency problem.

BradBo

Hi,

I have a Western Digital 80 gig hd divided into 3 partitions.

A few weeks ago I started getting a blue screen on XP startup that says I need to check my drives for "consistency".

After my XP then runs through some kind of check it boots fine and I have no problem.

What is an in-consistent disk?

How do I check this?

Is it a real problem?

By the way ,how do I do a scan disk w/ XP?

Thanks,Brad

THe how to do a scandisk in XP....

open up the my computer... then right click on the disk drive you wish to do the scandisk on..choose properties...then choose tools...there you should see the option for scandisk...which in your case you should check mark both where it scans for everything....It may say that it can't do that right now...but it will do it on next powerdown and power up...but be prepared it generally takes like about 2min per gig...If you contiue to have the problems...what I suggest is (if you have room on your xp partition) or the other partition move everything off of thier partition into another...but put the partition into there under a corrosponding folder to make it easy (like if it was your e:then name the folder edrive...also do the same for your other one ....and then use the administrator tools...disk drive managment...to remove the partition and then recreate the partition and also formate it....then move your data back to their corrosponding drives...Sometimes if you used FDISK to make the partitions...after a while of running xp....(i don't exactly know how to describe it) other than Partition bleeding occurs....but when XP makes the partitions...it does not tend to bleed...

Or in your case if you used the WD hard drive partitiong tool....it could cause the partition bleeding...in your case with the 40gig hard drive FDISK has a problem with larger drives..and you should have booted with xp cd and then let xp create the partition..it is a mutch better...way of doing it...or any disk drive managment tool...I only use those when I have a system that does not see the whole drive...

Which in my case I had an old 3gig hd...that I used DDO (direct drive overlay) so that the old ps1 could see it...it is running NT4.0 SP4...and dual boots to win95...