Hate to waste time by testing unattended install

Hi guys ,

I wonder how can i not install each time a brand new installation of xp for testing unattended installation. ... im using Vmware .... maybe there is a way to edit to vmware's files and change the runoncex.cmd ?

well you can run the runonceex whenever you want and as many times as you want. so say you give it a run through and a couple programs didnt install correctly. just make a modified verison of your runonce that only includes those programs, reboot and itll run again.

I m using WPI .... if i save the snap shot of the minute before WPI is running how can i change the WPI's config.js file ?

i got the idea of saving snapshots ... but i dont see how can i edit them ....maybe there is a way to paste the WPI's file under startup folder ... the problem is that the file will load AFTER windows is up .... not a good idea i guess .... may there is a way to load the files before logon ?

I'll tell what I have:

- I installed VMWare

- Installed Windows XP Pro in the virtual machine

- during setup split the "hard disk" into 2 partitions

- install Windows XP on the first partition

Result:

Now I can install the new XP ISO on the 2nd partition and edit files from the 2nd partition.

Actually I have two virtual hard disks.

One hard disk is splitted and the other one I use for storing a Ghost image of the 2nd partition.

Result:

I always have a fresh install by restoring the Ghost image and I can copy and/or edit some files from the 2nd partition by starting the 1st partition.

obviously you are using ISO's to install through VMWare.

1. make your snapshop before WPI gets loaded and then close VMWare (this depend on where you are starting from ie. CDROM or through Install directory on HDD)

2. change your config.js

3. make a new ISO image with the same name as the first.

4. restart VMWare and Revert

as simple as that.

is there a way to ignore a line in Runonceex.cmd?
Because RunOnceEX.cmd is a batch-file, you just need to use standard batch-file methods for such purposes.

All you need to do, is to either use "REM" or the double-colon. For example, let's say that you want to make it such that the last 2 lines are ignored in runonceex.cmd:

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "IsoBuster 1.5" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\IsoBuster1.5.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 2 /D "taskkill /F /IM isobuster.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\KPF\Setup.exe -s" /f

Then you'd change it to:

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "IsoBuster 1.5" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\IsoBuster1.5.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 2 /D "taskkill /F /IM isobuster.exe" /f

REM REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5" /f
REM REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\KPF\Setup.exe -s" /f
REM DigeratiPrime, these lines are ignored

Hoping this helps....

I tried using a snapshot right before runonceex runs, but it appears to use the original version.  So I need to use the diskmount utility and replace the original one that was copied, right?

In this case, using disk-mount is not a help.

Because runonceex.cmd will get run at T-12 (during cmdlines.txt, when it shows "12 minutes remaining"), take a snapshot at that point, and then it should work.