[How To]: ATI Catalyst

SiMoNsAyS

Introduction

This installation "traditionally" caused many headaches and many of you have asked about it. This will help you to install the catalyst drivers, ATI control panel and an interesting tool for overclockers (radclocker). Just follow this simple steps...

Step 1

Start creating the folder ATI\ and inside it the folders CP\ (Control Panel), Drivers\ (Catalyst) and RadClocker\ so it will look like...

ATI\

-CP\

-Drivers\

-RadClocker\

Now download the ATI catalyst drivers from here, and do the same with the control panel. Finally download radclocker.

Step 2

Extract the catalyst drivers installer; you can do it using winrar or running the installer and checking the ATI\ folder on the root of your drive. There you will find the 2KXP_INF\ folder, that is the main drivers dir. Copy the content of that folder to ATI\Drivers\. Then modify your unattended "winnt.sif" file, point the drivers dirs...

OemPnPDriversPath="ATI\Drivers"

...and to ensure they're installed add this to the same file...

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
   NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

Extract the catalyst control panel from the installer; again you can use winrar or run the setup to place all the files into ATI\CP\. Now once on that dir edit the 2 files named like *_XP.reg and modify the values...

"EnableIcon"="0"
"NoAtipta"="1"
"RegistrationOnLine"="OFF"

This will prevent the taskbar icon to load (if you want to preserve it just don't modify the .reg file).

Now RadClocker, latest version uses another type of installation (older versions used .msi installers). Run the setup and go to your temp folder to find a random strings .msi file so copy it to ATI\RadClocker\ and reaname it to RadClocker.msi for example.

Step 3

Now you can select between pack it on a RAR SFX or place the ATI\ dir on the $OEM$\$1. If you use the RAR way use this comment

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

and place this code on winnt.sif...

DetachedProgram=cmd.exe
   Arguments="/C START %systemdrive%\detached.cmd"

...and for $OEM$\$1\detached.cmd...

@echo off
FOR %%d IN (c: d: e: f: g: h: i: j: k: l: m: n: o: p: q: r: s: t: u: v: w: x: y: z:) DO IF EXIST %%d\$OEM$\$1\detached.cmd SET CDROM=%%d
start /wait %CDROM%Software\ATIRARSFX.exe
EXIT

Step 4

Almost done, now drivers will be installed and we need to call CP\ and RadClocker\ setups. Simply place this on RunOnceEx

IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Catalyst Control Panel" /f
IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATI\CP\Setup.exe /K" /f

IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\056 /VE /D "RadClocker" /f
IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\056 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATI\RadClocker\RadClocker.msi /qn" /f

Finally done, now drivers will be installed and if they are detected the control panel and radclocker will be run.

Note: The new ATI installers use the /K switch for silent installations, if you're using an older version or that switch is not working, you'll need to use the installshield method and call the installation this way...

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATI\CP\Setup.exe /S -f1\"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATI\CP\setup.iss\" -f2\"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATICP.log\"" /f

...and for your pleasure the setup.iss file...

[installShield Silent]

Version=v6.00.000

File=Response File

[File Transfer]

OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll

[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-DlgOrder]

Dlg0={0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdWelcome-0

Count=5

Dlg1={0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdLicense-0

Dlg2={0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdAskDestPath-0

Dlg3={0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SprintfBox-0

Dlg4={0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdFinishReboot-0

[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdWelcome-0]

Result=1

[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdLicense-0]

Result=1

[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdAskDestPath-0]

szDir=C:\Archivos de programa\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel

Result=1

[Application]

Name=ATI Control Panel

Version=1.00.0000

Company=ATI Technologies

Lang=000a

[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SprintfBox-0]

Result=7

[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdFinishReboot-0]

Result=1

BootOption=0

Note: Modify the path if you like.

That's all, good luck!

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

many thanks guys :blushing:

@edmoncu sorry for the wait :whistle:

@codeblue, i've never used MMC so i can't provide a working setup.iss and about the CC, well i used it for a while but i found a background process that took too much resources so i simply replaced it with the CP but hey good news! probably they use the same type of installation as new ati setups so... just follow the steps for the control panel and /K switch *should* work :yes:

Hello. First time poster here, having a bit of trouble getting the control panel portion of this guide to work correctly. The display driver itself installs fine, but I'm probably missing something obvious when trying to get the cpanel to silently install.

I'm not using any rar'ed files, just the extracted setup. Here's what I've got so far:

Control Panel setup files are in this directory:

\$OEM$\$1\Install\ATI\CPanel

There is a setup.iss file already there, which I'm not sure if I should remove or keep or what.

Cmdlines.txt file is in the \$OEM$\ folder. Here's what's in that:

[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

RunOnceEx.cmd file is in the \$OEM$\ folder. Here's what's in that:

IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Catalyst Control Panel" /f
IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install\ATI\CPanel\Setup.exe /K" /f

That's all I have in regards to the Cpanel stuff. I didn't enter anything else in the winnt.sif file, because I didn't use the rarsfx option. Is there something here I'm missing?

Kai

• 4 weeks later...

How do I make it when I install the control panel, a shortcut doesn't get placed on my desktop, when I right click my desktop, ATI Catalyst Control Center doesn't show up at the top, the Control center doesn't load in my system tray, and OverDrive is enabled in the Control Center?

for the shortcut a simple command will do the job...

del /f /q "pathtolink\link.lnk"

rightclick shortcut to CC at the top of the menu; you'll need to search throught your registry. probably the reference will be placed on a "HKCR\*" , "HKCR\folder" or something like this so your reg must be...

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\...]

about the last paragraph sorry i don't know what you want to mean :P, probably because i use CP in the place of CC ;)