[How To]: ATI Catalyst

SiMoNsAyS

Hi ...I'm a total newbie at trying to understand the unattended boot CD so I appreciated the detailed steps in your Radeon driver setup. I have a problem at the point following downloading and installing RadClocker. The install seemed normal and there is a Radlinker menu choice when I right click my Desktop which opens a program window. When I look in the Temp folder for the random string .msi file to copy to my ATI\RadClocker\ folder; it's not there; nothing is; it's empty. I even looked in all the other Temp folders but no sign. I have used "looking in the Temp folder" to extract the contents of self-extracting .exe files before after running an install .exe but for this case it's not working. I have also read in other posts of a means of using WinRAR to extract the contents of self-extracting .exe files but all I can get is a notice that the file contains no archives and if I use the "view" menu choice all I can see is what is likely a non readable binary file. Any suggested reading or ideas would be appreciated. I'm using Windows 2000 Pro and shut down all other apps for the install and tried installing both from the desktop and in C:\ Regards, Nick

:blushing: Duh! After reading some more to understand most of the posts prior to mine I found that the sought after random string file is in C:\winnt\installer\Radlinker.msi. I had looked there earlier but somehow messed up viewing hidden files with Explorer. As it turned out I'm going to try and leave out Radclocker altogether since like other posters I don't have a need for it. The instructions seem clear as to what can be omitted to do this. Regards, Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I am missing something, but where does it even say where on the cd to put the ATIRARSFX.exe?

Also I just see setup.exe, *.dat, *.cab, *.dll, and an *.msi, in the ccc folder, no *.reg files to customize.

Also the radclocker.msi (its actually named radlinker.msi) is in windows\installer directory.

The guide is pretty old, and 5.3 just came out, maybe it could get an update? :thumbup

Maybe I am missing something, but where does it even say where on the cd to put the ATIRARSFX.exe?
if you call the file like "start /wait %CDROM%Software\ATIRARSFX.exe".... it is supposed to be on the Software\ dir of your cd, it just depends of your needs so you can change the code at your desire.
Also I just see setup.exe, *.dat, *.cab, *.dll, and an *.msi, in the ccc folder, no *.reg files to customize.
and where did it says CCC? :P

you've read about Control Panel not Catalyst Control Center, if you take your time on this thread you'll find that CCC can be installed with /K switch and there's no need of .reg files.

Also the radclocker.msi (its actually named radlinker.msi) is in windows\installer directory.
http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/ radclocker and radlinker are different things ;)

i personally find more suitable radclocker as i don't need those annoying rightclick shortcuts.

don't know about radlinker but radclocker still uses the random strings .msi on the %temp% dir.

The guide is pretty old, and 5.3 just came out, maybe it could get an update?
yes it seems to be pretty old :)

i haven't updated it because this exact method still works if you change version numbers. i'll try to re-write it (but there's not much to change).

thanks for your comments, constructive critic is always welcome :hello:

Just one thing. I decompressed the driver and instead of only one folder with the WDM Driver, there are 2 cab files that contain the driver for Win XP SP1 and SP2. So please update your guide and I think that I have to the files from the folder named "WDM_SP".

Ati Catalyst 5.3 Release Notes

Note:  The ATI WDM Driver Install Bundle contains both the ATI WDM Driver 5.01 (6300) and 4.07 (6246). The setup program automatically detects the ATI ALL-IN-WONDER™ or ATI VIVO™ product installed in your system and installs the appropriate ATI WDM components.

The WDM version 5.01 (6300) is installed on:

· ALL-IN-WONDER™ 9600 Series

· ALL-IN-WONDER™ 9800 Series

· ALL-IN-WONDER™ 9700 Series

· ALL-IN-WONDER™ X600 Series

· ALL-IN-WONDER™ X800 Series

The WDM version 4.07 (6246) is installed on:

· RADEON™ 9200 series or earlier ALL-IN-WONDER™ products.

· ATI VIVO™ products

It doesn't say anything about what WDM_NSP and WDM_SP stands for.

The Ati installer installed WDM NSP for my VIVO card.

I think it has to do with the Service Pack 2. After extracting the driver (Version 5.3 non CCC) go to the folder "C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-111-050222a-021277c\WDM_All" (default path) Now there are the subfolders "WDM_NSP" and "WDM_SP". In each of these folders there is the .cab file with the driver and an .ini file. Look into the .ini files und you will find the lines

Req_NSP_SP=1

and

Req_NSP_SP=2

Perhaps this difference even is to support Win XP x64, because the OS is atm SP1.

• 4 months later...