[How To]: ATI Catalyst

SiMoNsAyS

I started trying this, but most of it does not work

Nothing goes to the temp file.

Instead you can go to the Windows\Installer folder and pull the MSI's

However I am stuck running hte batch file method. Since I have an AMD processor I have to install the AGP driver and the SmartGART drivers before the ati program. :(

I would say it could work even with an AMD, but since I ran into massive errors on my first install, I am going to have to do it differently.

Thanks for the great info :)

EDIT:

I Just looked at your sig, we have **** near identical systems

I am running a 2400, on a A7N8x rev 2 board with 320GB of maxtor drives and 1and a quarted GB of RAM

Gonna have to try and wrap my brain around this.

when are you running the batch file?

I use OEMPnPPath for the base drivers, then run the driver setup (for SmartGart) and the CPanel Setup using RunOnceEx with the /K switch. Works great for me.

As for "extracting" the drivers, I guess they changed their compression method and you can no longer open the downloaded files with winrar. I just downloaded the individual packages, then ran the exe and it asks where you want extract files to, then it extracts the files and runs the setup. just cancel the setup, and the extracted files will still be in the specified location.

Ahh, thanks for the info.

Yeha I am going back to the runonce method.

I tried beingtricky last time and loading hte agp/smartgart during hte driver install. Think I should just do it all at runonce.

ECHO.
ECHO Installing ATI Catalyst Software
ECHO Please Wait
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\ATI\Setup.exe -s

Just going to go back to this method though

It stinks that I cant test it in VMware :(

It stinks that I cant test it in VMware :(

it's the worst thing about catalyst, if card is not present then drivers won't be installed :}

... but an advantage for people using their unattended cds with different machines and hardwares ... :P

There are 2 'easy' solutions: (in fact 3)

1. De-attach all harddisks temporarily and use a spare (small) one for testing purposes.

2. Create an extra partition, only for testing. I'd recommend also to use a bootmanager. (so you don't have to edit your boot.ini over and over again)

3. Buy a spare computer B) :w00t::thumbup

Well the third is not really an option if I am looking to create a UA cd for this system ;)

I think I might just be trying to do too much. :(

Istarteed creating an XP bootable

That worked

Then an XPSP2 bootable and that worked

Instead of trying to make a UA XPSP2 Bootable I went straight to making a super CD with about 20 appz included a 6KB registry tweak etc etc

Since CDs are cheap (and I even have 1 CDRW) I should have built up to it.

make a driver pack XPSP2 bootable

Then work on incorporating my themes and sounds

then add reg tweaks

then add appz

that why I could better diagnose the errors.

sigh.... If this super DVD does not work I will try it that way LOL

Well.. because the file may not be there the 3rd or 4th time you'll check it! ;)

I'll bet you like to program like this ;) :

if (boolean1 == true)
  boolean2 = true;
if (boolean1 == false)
  boolean2 = false)

Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.. yes that's it. I am going crazy to make the perfect unattended CD... I spend hours (if not days) to search for a specific registry tweak in order to replace the manual work (which costs me less then minute to perform i guess). I'm nutts! :yes:

But i can't help it! I *must* create perfect unattended CD! Cannot stop anymore... it's tooo late now! :o

Well.. because the file may not be there the 3rd or 4th time you'll check it!

I'll bet you like to program like this :

if (boolean1 == true)
  boolean2 = true;
if (boolean1 == false)
  boolean2 = false)

Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.. yes that's it. I am going crazy to make the perfect unattended CD... I spend hours (if not days) to search for a specific registry tweak in order to replace the manual work (which costs me less then minute to perform i guess).  I'm nutts! 

But i can't help it! I *must* create perfect unattended CD! Cannot stop anymore... it's tooo late now!

hehehehe :D:w00t::thumbup

Welcome to my world! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SiMoN,

Finally with the 5.1 rev, do we need to play the guide or just using the /K switch ??? with a commad line in RunOnceEx like :huh:

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATI\wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-09-041221m-020455c.exe /K" /f

Does anyone tested the /K switch working???

Regards

coucou