Whoever had this laptop before me

redvamp128

Office 2000 Premium is installed...Can't unistall it...I have Office 2000 Pro....The people deleted the Installer as well as the Unistaller...I have even borrowed a copy of Office 2000 Premium ...and tried to do a repair..but it said it was not the right data.msi file....The copy these people used was on a set on a floppy disK...It does not respond to a cd...I have even tried to install Office 2000 premium...to a different directory...but in the middle of the install It calls for the Office 2000 Premium disk...Even took out everything in the Registry...and tried to do a fresh install...deleted all directories...but was smart enough to copy them to a cd's first..along with the registry first...

Any suggestions...

By the way the Office 2000 Premium on the Cd...the DATA1.msi is too big to fit on a floppy...

The reason I want Office 2000pro (or rather a feature that they did not install on this for some reason I do not know is) In word the html edit function....in the Macro...I have put the Character files in by hand (like I wanted Genuis instead of the Paper Clip)....it says it is not installed I click cancel and then the Genius appears...was wondering what the file names were so that maybe I can fool it into working like those do)....

Win98Se by the way

tried that

but it still looks for the floppy...even when I browse it to a directory...that has the unistaller...it still says that it is the incorrect...data1.msi file...which is the installer/unistaller...they used floppies to install this office 2000 premium...found out that only EDUCATIONAL EDTITIONS of premium came on a Floppy...

This calls for a RE-FORMAT!

Or if you don't wanna do that, just copy the Office directory to a CD, delete the Office directory from your HD, look for the uninstall string in the registry (Usually Microsoft Office, it should be under a key called something w/ numbers "{76534615461-36415851}" or something like that.) Delete the key that its under and voila! Now try installing your new software!

Hope this helps! :)

well I will try that...and reformat is out of the question....

If I use the restore disks will be at win95 and then Have to upgratde to win98....also this is a Laptop and reformating on a laptop is differnent since it does not have a cd drive...it has a usb burner as its cd drive...and there are 20 discs for the win95 install..

It should work...In XP, when I uninstalled "Black & White", it was still in my uninstall menu, so I searched for the game in my registry and deleted the key! All is well now. Does anyone know how to hide things in your Control Panel? :)

Not quite so black and white...especially since the person also deleted the install and unistall logs...and also the files in the program files folder for the unistaller...when I goto the unistaller or the Add remove programs...there is nothing listed there...except for the programs that I have added....

Okay plain and simple have backups tried to restore from them before but this laptop bios does not see USB...so that is where the problem would come in...and there is a patch that has to be on the system before you can even install win95 too...so I guess I just will have to live with it the way it is now...and just when I have to edit html do it on one of my other computers...

Much edited ...

you have almost everything you need.

make a system driver cd with this freeware: http://www.msnwar.com/Software_and_Downloa...rvExpert120.rar

you will need winrar to decompress it. www.winrar.com

copy the contents to a folder, maybe call it, system_drivers.

copy the win98 cd to a folder on your hard drive.

delete everything except the two folders you created.

boot from a win98 diskette. cd dir to the new windows folder, navigate to the windows directory, and run setup.exe. do not run setup.exe from the root.

When you are asked to install thrid party stuff select that option and navigate to the system_drivers folder. This will install your laptops hardware drivers.

install office.

thats what I would do. we can help with details if you need more help.

All is well...I went to my local computer shop...and well an old buddy happend to have a copy of the edu edtition on cd...and copied the file to a disk...did the install...but the only thing though...is that with all my developer applications on this laptop and .net framework... The visual basic says that it is MICROSOFT VISUAL BASIC 7.1 (which it should have been version 6.0 which is what is on the CD) the version ID number is 8392....but it now works...

And this is windows 98se....

Cool. Now use Norton Ghost and make a backup to a CD. Actually, you might want to make a custom system CD with all your drivers and applications. Make it bootable. Make a floppy boot disk with the external CD-ROM drivers on it. Misskillibad seems pretty good with batch files.