SATA Drives

Ashimema

Hi, i'm having problems installing XP Pro, i had some pretty major drive crashes a few days back, and have now baught myself two SATA drives as replacments, i put in my auto install CD and everything wen't well, pressed F6 key loaded up SATA drivers and startedinstalling windows. However, while copying over files from the windows CD, i got some errors copying viasraid.sys, and similar VIA files. and on reboot, the comp stalls and i have to start over again. I tried installing with my standard XP Pro CD, (not slipstreamed or nought), and am getting the same arror, windows no longer seems to realise that the SATA drivesrs are on floppy, HELP. how can i fix this?

I had similar problems. Use a genuine MS XP sp2 disk / copy of it with the supplied stiffy drivers. If still not working, then your problem could be wrong driver. Better to embed the correct driver into your unattended xp cd thou.

Yeah, problem is, to embed it into a new unatteneded CD, i have to start from scratch on someone elses comp, (this curent relly old comp has no cd writer), and my only copy was on the two drives that crashed and urned last week. will try however. and as for MoBo, its a K7 Triton GA-7VT600-P(-L) from Gigabyte. (VIA KT600 chipset)

OK, well, i've given up trying to borrow a omp to edit my XPCD. have a copy of Barts PE, and can boot up to it, and manipulate the drives. If someone knows where the viasraid.sys, viasraid.inf, and viasraid.cat need to be copied to that would be really usefull?

Anyone

Ash

Yes, my MoBo came with the drivers on Floppy, and i use the F6 key to inialise them on first boot, to get windows to recognise them, problem is, they are not installed at this point, and windows later forgets about them and tries to find them onn it's own source CD. The failure leads to a BSOD upon every start up, because no hard disks are found.

I've now managed to BOOT, i used barts PE to manually copy over the files on the floppy.

Viasraid.inf into the inf fodler on the hard disk

viasraid.sys into the drivers folder on the hard disk

But i could not find where viasraid.cat should go.

Is this important?

PS,

I love your setup screens astalavista, me thinks i'll be trying my hand at some of those next!