WinPE cannot see HD

MeanGene

I have found that on systems that were loaded using PowerQuest Deploy Center 5.1 with the scripting command of "RESIZE IMAGE MAX" which expanded the partitian to fill the HD, WinPE cannot see the C:\ drive after booting up. Microsoft stated, at one time, that they didn't support 3rd party disk resizing software. Is there a work around for this that does not require loss fo data on the HD?

Once the image is deployed or in your case re-sized... You must mount it to PE using the diskpart commands

Example:

PQI Deploy TXT Scripts:

--- Resize to a fixed size partition in Gigs. ----

// Restore Location

SELECT DISK 1

SELECT FREESPACE FIRST

// Restore Options

SET IMAGE FILENAME %Image%

SELECT IMAGE ALL

RESIZE IMAGE %size%000

RESTORE

--- OR ---

--- Extend to the entire size of the volume ----

// Restore Location

SELECT DISK 1

SELECT FREESPACE FIRST

// Restore Options

SET IMAGE FILENAME %Image%

SELECT IMAGE ALL

RESIZE IMAGE MAX

RESTORE

Once you get your image down... You must now mount it wi8th Diskpart so PE can address it.

Diskpart TXT Script:

Select Disk 0

Select Partition 1

Assign

Hope this helps

Chris

Tried using DiskPart, but nothing the tool would do helped. You still could not access the HD. This may or may not be a big problem for others, but I can say that if you used RESIZE IMAGE MAX in the deployemnt of your PQI, you will have this problem. I wonder how many people will plan on doing a migration to Windows XP and find that they cannot read the HD with WinPE? I guess what this means is that if a solution is not found you will have to use a non-Microsoft product to migrate your system to Windows XP.

I think the problem has to do with the NTFS MetaData.

Microsoft Info

This may or may not be a big problem for others, but I can say that if you used RESIZE IMAGE MAX in the deployemnt of your PQI, you will have this problem.

I do this all the time.

My build is image based. Question... How do you run a chkdsk on a volume that PE can't see?

Chris