windows serial number?

SMELVIN

Hi not been on for a while i finally decided to buy a full copy of windows xp pro about 2 months ago and installed that put the disc away safe but not the rest of the stuff along with my serial number and my 3 year old has hidden it for me!!!....I'm a dozy git i am now I've looked all over the net for the answer (how do i find my o/s serial number of my current copy so i can start to make a new unattend winxp) I want to use my number that i got with my disc not a fake one any body know the answer :blushing:

Cheers

Mal

Take your Windows XP CD and browse to the I836 folder and find the file "WINNT.SIF" and open it with NotePad and you will see your Serial Number.
That is when you have made your unattended CD - or you're using one made by someone else. In this case, he had used a normal CD, and manually input his key - so it won't be there in that file (plus, he doesn't want to take out his original CD).
now thats a handy tool, ive never lost my keys and i know the reg key to find it at
Could you please tell at what location in the reg you can find it? 'Coz AFAIK, all windows OSes since win2k (win2k,winME,winXP,wS2k3) do not store the key in human-readable format in the registry.