Removing MSN Explorer

Is there a command to uninstall and remove MSN Explorer (something like:

%windir%\System32\RunDll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove for Windows Messenger)?

I know I can remove it by modifying Windows XP setup files (or just winnt.sif), but I need this for a little batch file for already-installed-OS computers... :P

10x, Ran.

Yes, it can be done! But I want it to be unattended. Well... not fully unattended, but automatic.

I'm a PC thechnician, and when I come to a client who have an installed WinXP OS and he asks me to remove un-needed Windows components (Windows Messenger, MSN Explorer, etc.), I want to do it by using a batch file.

In short, I need that command...!

*sigh*, read people, read! He wants to uninstall it AFTER Windows was installed. I agree that this has little to do with Unattended Windows then :)

Keynan: After looking at the ms*.inf files in %WinDir%\inf, I believe msnmsn.inf is MSN Explorer's inf. So I think this command should do the trick:

%WinDir%\system32\rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %WinDir%\inf\msnmsn.inf,msnexplr.Uninstall

****! :realmad:

I don't understand it... I've posted the same topic here and in MSFN Windows XP forum and I got the same solution... The thing is that the MSNMSN.INF file is DIFFERENT if SP2 was slipsreamed in the installation, or if it was installed later (from other CD or the internet)!

In the latter situation, the part of msnexplr.Unintsall doen't exist!!!

Can you imagine the time I could've save if I knew how to do more and more stuff automatically and in unattended way?!? :no:

Well, I installed SP2 from a network installation (didn't slipstream and reinstall Windows, or update from WU) and the part is there in my msnmsn.inf. I'll see if I can find out how Windows uninstalls it...

Edit: what does it say in your sysoc.inf (%WinDir%\inf) at the msnexplr line? Mine says:

msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,,7

Yeah... So do mine... But never mind!

I can't say why, but for some reason, the MSNMSN.INF file version, on the computer I've tested it on, was a different version than in other computers...

Bottom line, it worked great on other computers (with SP2 - slipstreamed or manually installed)!!!

Thank you all! :D

Well... It's a little strange. :blink:

At my house I've installed SP2 from CD (downloaded manually), and I have an entry in sysoc.inf... Also I have the msnexplr.Uninstall part in msnmsn.inf - so the command works...