Automatically hide items from Windows Update

After a clean XP SP2 install the first thing I do is go to Windows Update and hide stuff I don't want to be reminded of again - e.g. Windows Media Player 10, I don't want any WMP s*** :P

Is there any way of doing this automatically when installing Windows XP?

I don't know if someone already has tried what you mention. But instead of waiting for days to get an answer, What you *CAN* do, is to see what happens when you "hide" those items.

I mean, see what keys in the registry get modified when you do that hiding thing. Are you willing to play along?

If so, here's what you need to do:

1. Get the file attached to this post (Registry Snap-Shot maker).

2. Take a 1st shot just before you do the hiding thing.

3. Immediately after you've hidden those, run back and take a 2nd shot of registry.

4. Compare, so that you will know which regkeys have changed (therefore you know what to do to auto-hide them during install).

Hoping this helps.... If you have any more clarifications needed, just ask!

regshot1_7_2.zip

This probably won't help you right now but there is a file (I need to check which one it is) that tells it which ones to hide. I will try and get back to you promptly on what the file name is and where it goes. I know it is possible I just have check a couple of things first. B)

Looks like I am wrong...the best option would probably be doing a regshot...but I will keep an eye open an see what I can found out at work. :P

I've been away for a few days,.

Thanks for the replies, I'd have thought someone would have done this before or tried it - but maybe not?

It looks like I'll be trying the regshot on my next install, and will of course update this thread as to my findings.

Check into modifying your sysoc.inf file. You can use this file to show or hide components from installation in Control Panel.

You can also use the [Components] section of your unattend file, ie: WINNT.SIF, to specifically turn off Windows Media Player.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...