Story of my dad switching to Firefox...

Synapse

hmm now i've also tested this

and ie had 3.x

and firefox had 7.x something like that but

as rendering speed shouldn't the lower one be better?

I was getting 6.9x for Firefox and 5.7 for IE. This is common though from what I've read on many forums.

I'm not sure if the higher or lower speeds are better. One would naturally assume that lower is better. It's not an official test page, but something made up by a user; so going on this I wouldn't say it's completely safe to say your results would be official.

Well, here is my opinion, and no offence to your dad.

I have found that people who dont know anything about there computers tend to get nailed through IE. I have no problems using IE and never had, even when I didn't know that much about my system, I still didn't have any problems with IE. I like FireFox, but you still cant do everything with it yet, like trend micro's housecall, but I assume it's getting there.

so:

IE = Good for advanced users and mandatory for certain web content.

FireFox = Great for everyone, but still not as content rich as IE.

IE = Good for advanced users and mandatory for certain web content.

FireFox = Great for everyone, but still not as content rich as IE.

I have to completely disagree on this. Firefox is much better overall, a lot of extensions that makes it so great. There's the odd website (a VERY small portion) that only works in IE, and that's usually because either the site is using ActiveX stuff, or using bad design tested only in IE. If everybody only used W3C standards compliant stuff and such, you'd hardly ever see one of those pages. I've seen a lot of stuff that didn't work right in IE either (mostly stuff that uses CSS2)

As for "noobs" getting nailed with IE, well, I have to completely disagree too. Even with SP2 (and a good AV and firewall), I still see tons of people get nailed bad - including people I know that work in IT. Scanning for spyware is only a fix for a broken browser, it's not really a "normal" thing to do (ie: you shouldn't be getting that stuff in the first place).

As for "noobs" getting nailed with IE, well, I have to completely disagree too. Even with SP2 (and a good AV and firewall), I still see tons of people get nailed bad - including people I know that work in IT. Scanning for spyware is only a fix for a broken browser, it's not really a "normal" thing to do (ie: you shouldn't be getting that stuff in the first place).

Well, I dont work with a tech 1 that has a problem with IE, maybe I should have said "bad for click-happy people". I still think IE sucks over-all, but the reason it sux is because MS isn't keeping up with it for the "click-happy people" that click on stupid s*** witch installs all this crap on your comp.

I did an experiment here at work, and I went to every bad site I could think of and clicked yes to every pop-up. I got nailed prety bad, but not as bad as some of the customer's computers I work on. So I cant even try to f*** up my comp as bad as therse "click-happy people" do.

The normal user will more then likely click on everything that says "yes" if i put up a banner that said "Scan your computer now for viruses" and had yes someone would click it.. then if i tried bringing in an activeX they would still hit yes to that.

with Firefox, you don't get those.. if you do they show up in a toolbar section which you would have to TRY to download the activex...

As for spyware... I've been runnig firefox for about 3 weeks now.. and in 3 weeks i haven't had a single spyware/adware problem.. if spyware gets installed its cause i downloaded some app that installed Spyware along with it (aim and wildtangent and WeatherBug for an example)

As for this...

I would say that Firefox has more features than IE. The Tabbed browsing feature is worth it to make the switch in itself.

However, it does have a few drawbacks. Right after a standard install (from the Firefox website), it'll eat up about 40MB of RAM on my system (512 total installed). To get any useful functionality, you have to go searching for plugins and then install them on top of everything else. For a basic user (someone who isn't completely computer literate), it takes quite a bit to get Firefox to have "full" functionality.

I use Maxthon. It's a smaller installer, and it uses a lot less RAM (11MB right now :thumbup ). Right from the setup, I have access to mouse gestures, Super-drag-n-drop (right-click drag a link and it opens in another tab), Tray icon options, Favorites Groups, URL Alias, URL Key (use an F-key for a webpage), Full download control (what media get's downloaded), and of course, as any good browser should have, a very good pop-up blocker. All of these are simply options in the browser, not plugins. If you want plugins, then you can find those as well to do other crazy stuff.

Conbining this with JavaCool's SpywareBlaster (which everyone should install and run on their system, it doesn't have to be running to work), I haven't had a single piece of spyware on my system for a long time (can't even remember).

Firefox just takes too long to configure to get it to my level of functionality. The high RAM usage is also a real turn off, since I like to be able to close the browser to the system tray (basically just keep it in the background, 2 MB of RAM) and then run it when I need it. Another disadvantage to Firefox is that you need another plugin to show all webpages properly. Yet another thing to find and download.

I use Maxthon. It's a smaller installer, and it uses a lot less RAM
Ok... isn't Maxthon IE based???
Firefox just takes too long to configure to get it to my level of functionality

That is so true, i usually have situations in which Firefox is consuming about 80MB of RAM, right now for example it is using 43MB, and sometimes it has a RAM usage of 232MB, which is just weird how that happens.

Just like Bi0haZarD I installed Firefox on my dad's computer because of his inexprience with computers, and specially because he uses Internet Banking and that started to worry me when I saw the amount of spyware on that computer, he doesn't even know it is another program, I changed FF icon to the blue E from hell, and he uses it thinking it is Internet Explorer.

I introduced FireFox to a friend of mine who had the exact same opinion that techguy21801 has, he installed it and on the day he was using he wouldn't let go of me telling me about all the "defects" of Firefox, such as not being available in every language of the world like IE (I thought who cares about the program language, it doesn't make the sites you surf on) he showed me a page that would test the time rendering of the pages and IE is indeed faster loading the pages I'll accept that argument, but choosing between having your computer completly "unprotected" to spyware or any other kind of malware, cookie tracking, security holes, etc. to a browser that may take a little longer than IE to load the pages because it encrypts them along with all the offline content that it is saved on your computer (I'm calling it an encryption i dont really know), a browser that for a few years will have the reputation of "free from spyware and pop-ups", untill someone starts making malware for Firefox, it will be a darn safe browser for our websurfing pleasure.