Building a Computer

gamehead200

OK, so I got your opinions and everything! Now, I looked at 2 stores and compared. Future Shop and Mega PC (All in Montreal, Canada). At Future Shop, the prices are as follows:

MSI Intel 845E P4 Motherboard

USB Pro Series Motherboard Cable

Azen 128MB PC-100 (RAM)

Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz Processor

Cicero Internal 1.44MB 3.5 Floppy

Creative Sound Blaster 16 - PCI

ATI Radeon 7000 64MB PCI Video Card

Pine 56x CD-ROM Drive

LG 40x12x10x Internal CD-RW Drive

Western Digital 60GB 7200RPM EIDE HD

A-TOP Mid-Tower pIV Silver 350w USB (From Mega PC)

Total: $1,391.69

Now from Mega PC, the prices are as follows for a different system:

Asus P4S333 SiS645 pga478/DDR ATX

USB Pro Series Motherboard Cable (From Future Shop)

512MB PC-133 SDRAM

Intel P4 1.6ghz 256k pga478 Box

1.44mb Floppy Drive

Creative Sound Blaster 128 pci oem

ASUS 52x cd-rom ide

LG 40x/12x/40x Int IDE oem

Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm ATA/133

A-TOP Mid-Tower pIV Silver 350w USB

Total: $1,220.28

Which one is the best buy?

OK, so I got your opinions and everything!  Now, I looked at 2 stores and compared.  Future Shop and Mega PC (All in Montreal, Canada).  At Future Shop, the prices are as follows:

MSI Intel 845E P4 Motherboard  

USB Pro Series Motherboard Cable <<gimmick  

Azen 128MB PC-100 (RAM)  <<no one buy this any more  

Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz Processor    

Cicero Internal 1.44MB 3.5 Floppy    

Creative Sound Blaster 16 - PCI <<10 bucks at Fry's Electronic  

Pine 56x CD-ROM Drive  <<gimmick  

LG 40x12x10x Internal CD-RW Drive  

Western Digital 60GB 7200RPM EIDE HD  

A-TOP Mid-Tower pIV Silver 350w USB (From Mega PC)

Total: $1,391.69

Now from Mega PC, the prices are as follows for a different system:

Asus P4S333 SiS645 pga478/DDR ATX  <<DDR motherboard and it used SDRAM??  Wrong info?  

USB Pro Series Motherboard Cable (From Future Shop) <<gimmick

512MB PC-133 SDRAM  <<average users  

Intel P4 1.6ghz 256k pga478 Box  

1.44mb Floppy Drive    

Creative Sound Blaster 128 pci oem  

ASUS 52x cd-rom ide  <<gimmick

LG 40x/12x/40x Int IDE oem    

Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm ATA/133  

A-TOP Mid-Tower pIV Silver 350w USB  

Total: $1,220.28

Which one is the best buy?

*gimmick:  Things that they add in just so there look like there so many stuff but worthless.

In my opinion if this is what you can afford, go for the second one.  But I suggest you shop around for better deal.   This isn't one of the average spec. PC now aday.

Edited in Quote:

Take a look at this site http://www.newegg.com/ If you have that amount of cash, build yourself a computer. Cheaper and you get exactly what you want only. No gimmick.

end of the day a 56x cd rom drive is what... $25 ?? maybe cheaper?

you can pick a DVD rom drive up for around ten bux more... look at LITE ON's for starters.

everyone can build a pc its easy, you might save yourself 100's, spend the same cash, or slightly more, but you will end up with quality parts, no OEM junk in there, you should see some of these "geforce 4" cards in some systems, you would swear blind it was a TNT card or something, almost always with no fan - how can it be a top notch graphics card if it has no fan even?? if i ran my geforce without a fan for any length of time while playing a game id be lucky if it didnt get damaged or freeze the system up.

come on build one, you have net access so its EASY to find cheap bits, and you can post piccies here after and claim your bragging rights :)

The systems you described will work fine as is, whether you use SDRAM vs DDR/ DVDrom vs 56x CDrom/intel or not.. Its just a matter of preference and what you will be doing with them. Just to answer your question of WHICH ONE is better, the second one is the concensus on this posting, as is for me also.

If you are going to do some hard gaming, you will need to upgrade a few things to say the least and thats when upgrading your ram from SD to DDR will help along with better video card and such. I'm sure the rest of the fine folks here can help you with the details. good hunting.

Now it looks like you have your heart set on an intel system,but check these amd systems from ABS.$1185 and you get a faster processor(upgradable too),an Abit mobo which in my opinion are top notch,ddr micron memory,a 19 inch monitor(samsung),liteon cdrw 40x12x48,creative audigy sound,5300 5.1 speakers,etc.(got carried away).Clearly a much better deal.ABScomputers

the problem with DDR is its expensive, i have two sticks of Crucial Tech' 256MB DDR pc2700 in here. yes its fast. but its damned expensive. this cost me £74 each stick from Crucial, and they dont do it in 512mb sticks (or didnt last i checked) as it becomes unstable apparently in sticks that big. so just for my 512mb of ram, bought directly from crucial (prompt delivery, well packaged i might add) it cost me £148 that must be about.. what $280 USD ? or around that price. :)

Also, check WHAT DDR that board supports, if it supports DDR and SDRAM i doubt it will run Pc2700 (DDR333) but will run the slower stuff.