Warez Junkies Beware!

ChunkDog

There is a version of Half Life 2 being shared on Bittorent that was purposely released by Valve. They intend to gather info about you, and maybe prosecute you.

If your a warez-a-holic, its time you support the software companies for all the hard work and effort they put forth to bring you quality software that you know and love to rip off!

Nice one, but I cant see how they can single you out , unless you have to supply address' and stuff during install?

Is HL going to have Punkbuster, or some othe anti cheat software which willnot enable those with fake/ duplicate keys to play?

I hope so, thats why I always ran my sof2 server with guids being checked

what really happened: a very known underground group that cracked the previous steam CS:S released a version that is able to connect to valve and validate the serial.

gabe newell (Valve Software Managing Director) sent a mail available to public: valve knows about that fix and have adapted steam to detect those versions: now if you try to validate the cracked HL2, your account will be erased, your ip will be blocked and the serial blacklisted. that's why there are floating around those "[nuked]" versions. i can't give more details about it because you know discussion about warez/cracks/serials is not supported by msfn and all of this information is not available at "official sites".

Ppl can dl the game from steam, only if they have purchased it.

Is HL going to have Punkbuster, or some othe anti cheat software which willnot enable those with fake/ duplicate keys to play?

I think their intention is to get you to play! (not prevent)

Nice one, but I cant see how they can single you out , unless you have to supply address' and stuff during install?
No need for such - all they ever need is your IP address. Guess how RIAA served notices on heavy KaZaA users ?

Yes but IP addresses are not always static are they?

I think their intention is to get you to play! (not prevent)

but they dont want people playing, who have not legally bought the game right?

Yes but IP addresses are not always static are they?

all they have to do is contact your ISP, find out who had the lease for the IP and what day, and, BAM!, your cought. It's quite easy really. If you give me your IP, I can find out your ISP and general location anywhere in the world with little to no effort at all.

And I must add that : With your IP addresse they also have the MAC addresse of your computer (network card).  So, if there is more than 1 computer in the house, they can know exatly witch one...

No, that info is only with your ISP - who will only submit that info if there's a court summons.

@XtremeMaC, all the people can download the game from steam. the problem is that if you want to play you need to validate the key on valve servers (so you need to pay for it to buy the key). many people downloaded the game from steam and now the wait a way to crack the activation :thumbdown

yes that's exatly what I am saying!

there is no need to dl the game from any torrent.. bc u can dl the game from steam. and when u dl it from steam u don't get a key which is same when u dl it from torrent.

so u can only play single player.. so u just would need a key gen and so if u've dled from a torrent everyone would have the same serial which will be blacklisted after 2-3ppl dl it, so i still don't believe valve would release it..

bc then this way everone will be able to play the single player for free!

and furthermore the torrents are shared all over the world. it would be so funny to see cops trying to get to ppls houses and search for copies of HL2 ahah :P

MS doesn't even do that, they only check the companies.. and since no company will buy a company license for HL :P (hmm maybe if the owner wants the employee's to play hl2 on lan :D)

I still don't understand the activation.. how hard would it be for someone to make a patcher for steam, tell it to connect to some other computer that just keeps saying any key is valid...? could play it single player... and maybe still get the server list from steam so can play online too...

*side note*..

isn't discussing warez against the rules... ;)