Downloading

MSNwar

I have been downloading files in .rar format for years. The program WinRAR (similar to WinZip) supports .rar format, by the way.

This weekend I am downloading a large program that is broken down to 27 files that are 14,999,999 bytes each (14.649 MB). When decompressed, each file will explode to about 28-29 MB each.

Downloading the individual files allows me to download any or all at any time I choose. For example, I can download 1 or 2 in the morning, a few more later on in the day/week, or all at once if I choose. This is cool because if I tried to download all of the files at one time and my connection broke I would want to start all over to ensure I got it all.

But when I tell people about this method they think it is not the best way to do it. Some people prefer the constant download. I remind them that slow connections can take forever (days) with the traditional download method they kinda look at me funny?

Am I wrong about all this?

You are right. Breaking into part is great for low connecters mostly (modem users). But now aday everyone is using (broadband) connectors, so it doesn't matter of the size of the download. There are the size your bandwidth and the upload you can handled. The other plus side for one whole file is the convenience. People get lazy clicking on multiple links to download a same thing while you can click on just one and leave it there and forget it until its done.

Its more depends on your users. If you served the files for modem users- suggested parted-files. Broadband and plus+ users- single file will do (preferredly resumable).

Added: I forgot. Make sure you include all file verification and CRC reparable. Incase it mess up durring the splitting part. Breaking into parts get CRC error a lot and if one file is screw. There goes the whole thing!

. People get lazy clicking on multiple links to download a same thing while you can click on just one and leave it there and forget it until its done.

thats why files split into rars in 15mb/21mb are usually on FTPS

i assume lezend is download something he should be buying :)

Added: I forgot. Make sure you include all file verification and CRC reparable. Incase it mess up durring the splitting part. Breaking into parts get CRC error a lot and if one file is screw. There goes the whole thing!

Good suggestion(s). Thanks :)

Yea.....I have used WinRAR for several years now... :rolleyes:

And I started using SmartPAR now...People sometimes make PAR files (.p01, .p02) along with there RAR files...Lets say you are missing 1/10 RAR Files...you open SmartPAR and hit recover..

It will make the RAR File(s) that are missing....You have to have at least 80% of the RAR files downloaded for it to work, or something like that...

http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/ <-- the site....always down now tho.. :)