To do list for 2.0 FINAL

Gape

Hello... Gape do U think there is a way to add USB 2.0 support for WIN98SE?.. I know it's very hard but it would be supercool.. and there would be a nice relation: sesp2.0 - USB2.0.. I've "heard" support form Win Me it's under developement (?!)..

Thank U for your work...

usb 2.0 support would only be possible if your usb ports are usb 2.0 compliant

or just goto your mobo manufacturers website and dl the usb 2.0 drivers there

my 98 has usb 2.0 ports and it uses usb 2.0 drivers or maybe usb 2.0 support might be in another version of the sp.

usb 2.0 support would only be possible if your usb ports are usb 2.0 compliant

or just goto your mobo manufacturers website and dl the usb 2.0 drivers there

my 98 has usb 2.0 ports and it uses usb 2.0 drivers or maybe usb 2.0 support might be in another version of the sp.

:) Did I sounded that stupid?

Of course I know what U are saying... Unfortunately the f***s in charge with driver writing from SiS did not considered that they should bother creating a WIN98SE driver for their southbridges and I don't think they will ever write such drivers... so I cannot use USB2.0 under WIN98SE. Gape wanted to create a USB Mass Storage (generic) driver.. why not include also a USB2.0 support (generic driver)? I've heard WinMe supports USB2.0 so it wouldn't be impossible...

cooler13, may i please know your exact sis model & whose other drivers if any you tried? I possibly have a couple of resources... or maybe not. And yes, i do know the obvious re sis & also that generally drivers for different makers are not interchangeable.

Thanks.

sis are ultra crap

Soldier1st, I'm using computers (PC) for almost 13 years now.. and I've started (seriously) with Dos 5.0 and passed through different versions of Dos/Win. I had about 10 different computers (not to mention hundreds of components) and 5 laptops... so I bet I'm not stupid :)

And I'd say Sis are pretty cool actually.. I've benn sticking with them since the great days of Sis735. Now I'm using a Sis746Fx based mobo.

sis are ultra crap

Soldier1st, I'm using computers (PC) for almost 13 years now.. and I've started (seriously) with Dos 5.0 and passed through different versions of Dos/Win. I had about 10 different computers (not to mention hundreds of components) and 5 laptops... so I bet I'm not stupid :)

And I'd say Sis are pretty cool actually.. I've benn sticking with them since the great days of Sis735. Now I'm using a Sis746Fx based mobo.

Perhaps soo.. My 2 cents.. I have been upset with evey system I have ever worked on that had a sis based chipset. Typically the most disturbing thing was the lack of response/performance out of the onboard IDE controller. Regardless of drivers or drives attached to the board.. slooooooooowwwwwwww

I have been upset with evey system I have ever worked on that had a sis based chipset.  Typically the most disturbing thing was the lack of response/performance out of the onboard IDE controller. Regardless of drivers or drives attached to the board.. slooooooooowwwwwwww

Sorry.. I'm sorry for your badluck... If you look at some reviews U'll see that the Amd Sis-based motherboards are actually the fastest in hdd performance (of course RAID systems are not compared). If U don't believe me I'll provide U some links to those tests. I haven't use P4 systems to be able to comment there, but on the AMD front SIS is pretty good. When I say that, I don't mean they are the best.. no way.. but at the price U pay for them SIS chipset offer more performance/buck compare to ANY other chipsets. They have their shortcomings (mainly their AGP performance) and now their lack of some support (USB2.0 in this case).

I agree with U that SIS used to be really bad before (like 5 years ago or so.. yes, they were). Their video chips were awfull... but starting with their SiS735 chipset they started to compete for the first place in performance. As hard is to believe that, the SIS735 was the FASTEST chipset at the time of its introduction (see http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20010611/index.html for instance).

I'm sorry the discussion took another direction that it should. My opinion (based on my own experience, of many hardware-related articles read) is that SIS are pretty good.

I need a USB2.0 support for my future laptops (used ones). I own a combo drive that is USB2.0 compliant and also I'd like to purchase a good-quality. In USB1.1 its performance sucks...

I think I foun a USB2.0 driver for Sis.. it remains to see if it really works

Typically the most disturbing thing was the lack of response/performance out of the onboard IDE controller. Regardless of drivers or drives attached to the board.. slooooooooowwwwwwww

Sorry.. I'm sorry for your badluck... If you look at some reviews U'll see that the Amd Sis-based motherboards are actually the fastest in hdd performance (of course RAID systems are not compared). If U don't believe me I'll provide U some links to those tests. I haven't use P4 systems to be able to comment there, but on the AMD front SIS is pretty good. When I say that, I don't mean they are the best.. no way.. but at the price U pay for them SIS chipset offer more performance/buck compare to ANY other chipsets. They have their shortcomings (mainly their AGP performance) and now their lack of some support (USB2.0 in this case).

I agree with U that SIS used to be really bad before (like 5 years ago or so.. yes, they were). Their video chips were awfull... but starting with their SiS735 chipset they started to compete for the first place in performance. As hard is to believe that, the SIS735 was the FASTEST chipset at the time of its introduction (see http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20010611/index.html for instance).

I'm sorry the discussion took another direction that it should. My opinion (based on my own experience, of many hardware-related articles read) is that SIS are pretty good.

I need a USB2.0 support for my future laptops (used ones). I own a combo drive that is USB2.0 compliant and also I'd like to purchase a good-quality USB soundcard (Audigy 2NX for instance). In USB1.1 its performance sucks...

I think I foun a USB2.0 driver for Sis.. it remains to see if it really works

Here it is: http://us-download.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_...vr/sisusb47.exe

OrangeWare Corporation

MfgName="OWC"

ORANGEMFG = "Orange Micro, Inc."

SYSTALKMFG = "System TALKS Inc."

IOGEARMFG = "IOGEAR"

Signature="$CHICAGO$"

PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7002="SiS USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

ousbehci.sys = 1

ousb2hub.sys = 1

These are provided for Win98 & ME for & by different mobo makers for models utilizing SiS963L chipset,

of which SiS746FX is one of: http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets/oa/socketa/746fx.htm

The SiS 746FX features an AGP 8X bridge, and a DDR-400 Memory controller, supporting AMD Athlon S2K FSB up to 333 MHz. The SiS 746FX, via the second-generation 1 GB/s Multi-threaded I/O link, interconnects the SiS 963L Media I/O that integrates one EHCI compliant USB 2.0 host controller, 2 OHCI compliant USB 1.1 host controllers, the ATA-133 dual IDE controller, AC 97 V2.2 compliant audio controller, and the Ethernet MAC controller with standard MII interfaced.

Happy Hunting......

Sorry, kind of re-inventing the wheel for you, Cooler13?

I was wondering why that wouldn't've been in the cd..........

I get you, ms no makee 2.0 drivers for 98/ME....

Since we're on the 98tome kick, i wonder if using ME's drivers helps or hurts-- driversguide has this file containing all the ME usb drivers from install disk: http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/44/44514.htm

Length Date Time Name

-------- ---- ---- ----

11024 06-08-00 17:00 USB8023.SYS

49872 06-08-00 17:00 USBAUDIO.SYS

6608 06-08-00 17:00 USBAUTH.SYS

12944 06-08-00 17:00 USBCAMD.SYS

24304 06-08-00 17:00 USBCAMD2.SYS

18288 06-08-00 17:00 USBCCGP.SYS

22928 06-08-00 17:00 USBD.SYS

41904 06-08-00 17:00 USBHUB.SYS

15152 06-08-00 17:00 USBINTEL.SYS

28672 06-08-00 17:00 USBMON.DLL

4861 06-08-00 17:00 USBMPHLP.PDR

7136 06-08-00 17:00 USBNTMAP.SYS

22640 06-08-00 17:00 USBPRINT.SYS

14000 06-08-00 17:00 USBSCAN.SYS

22208 06-08-00 17:00 USBSER.SYS

21040 06-08-00 17:00 USBSTOR.SYS

147456 06-08-00 17:00 USBUI.DLL

-------- -------

471037 17 files

Life sucks intensely & interminably............and then we die.....

Sorry, kind of re-inventing the wheel for you, Cooler13?

Kinda :)

Well the only objection is that it not JUST for me... I'm sure many users would be happy to have such a support.. This service pack's purpose it's (if I understood correctly) to provide support and fetaures there where they don't exist or to correct some major issues, etc... So I think USB2.0 support would be a great achievement (if not maybe the best one).

Thanks for your help horsecharles!