To do list for 2.0 FINAL

Gape

Regarding SHELL32.DLL:  Can I therefore assume that the replaced icon/bitmaps are smaller, but the STANDARD ones are NOT smaller?  Thus, after installation, what size is SHELL32.DLL relative to choice of original or replaced icon sets?  And what about compatibility with that translucent icon modification [covered on Axcel216 site about how to patch the Q313829 shell32.dll to be functionally compatible with the original shell32.dll.  If feasible, it would be desirable to NOT introduce additional incompatibility, etc.  Also, it is conceivable that the translucent icon patch could depend on the overall file length?]

From what I read about the notepad key bindings enhancements, it's clearly a matter of patching it to get a quite similar binary, thus you only need to patch the original; I assume there are no official updated notepad.exe files to otherwise consider, etc.

In 2.0 which EXPLORER.EXE will be used?  The original or the one from IE50SP2?  Also I believe there is somewhat of an icon/bitmap consideration within this file as well?  What was the advantage [if any] of using the IE50SP2 version?

Regarding transculent icon modification: Yes, you can apply Axcel216's fixes for removing Q313829 SHELL32.DLL "desktop shortcut icon". There are four ways to remove it, all of them should work with modified or non-modified Q313829 SHELL32.DLL. In the SP 2.0, the patcher of SHELL32.DLL produces same SHELL32.DLL in the SP 1.6.2's.

Regarding EXPLORER.EXE: SP 2.0 contains a patcher for stock EXPLORER.EXE currently. But I can add a patcher for IE 50 SP2 version, too. Thus, the version of EXPLORER.EXE depends to the user's installed EXPLORER.EXE, not depends to the SP 2.0. Many users generally use stock EXPLORER.EXE, but some IE 5.0 SP2 and/or Office 2000 installed systems contain a newer EXPLORER.EXE.

If you have any idea for better 98lite SLEEK compability, please let me know.

[98lite SLEEK [V1], [V2] and MICRO compatibility issues handled separately]

'nother one:

The stock system apparently has DCOM98 at revision 1718, same as 98 "Gold" [or as we call it 98FE].

Should the SP 2 apply DCOM98 1.3 [which is available as a "crackerjack prize" within Q315575] which raises the rev to 3328?

cjl

I looked within the SP1.6.2 .inf file, and it appears there is a second reference to the file Rpcltscm.dll after the one associated with Q315575; dunno if this is a mistake or whatever [just me meddling!]

In any case, I notice a lot of file replacements from DCOM98 1.3 release. Thus the questions:

Is this a COMPLETE equivalent release of what DCOM98 1.3 accomplishes? And if not, what has to be missing/why?

Assuming that this is complete, is there any reason the registry version isn't updated beyond 1718?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDC67890-4FC0-11D0-A805-00AA006D2EA4}\InstalledVersion]

@="4,71,0,3328"

Is what belongs if DCOM98 1.3 is installed; but you find it's at 4,71,0,1918 etc.

cjl

The stock system apparently has DCOM98 at revision 1718, same as 98 "Gold" [or as we call it 98FE].

Should the SP 2 apply DCOM98 1.3 [which is available as a "crackerjack prize" within Q315575] which raises the rev to 3328?

SP 1.6.2 has already a complete version of DCOM98 1.3. Please look at "features" on my web page. Of course, SP 2.0 has it, too.

About registry setting, probably I have missed it. I will correct it in SP 2.0.

File list of SP 1.6.2.

Edited by Gape

[Note to other readers of the thread: Gape and I are pm'ing each other as we are posting here!]

ok, 'nother one:

On the exuberant website is a reference to an update Q321467 which is without an MS link.

However, there IS a link to Q321467:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];321467 and I believe it has been recently added by MS! [Note to reader, the forum software doesn't underline the complete link above :angry: ]

[As previously published as Q321467]

BUG: Swenum.sys PortCls devices do not work correctly in Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

This will help your list of 70 [eventually 73 not counting other "adjustments"!]

However, the contents of the article doesn't indicate any updated files; just a procedural work-around for a problem that cannot otherwise be fixed but gets an adequate alternate result, etc.

Inside of SP1.6.2 there IS a reference to Portcls.sys [4.10.2224] as coming from 321467. Can you give any details to explain this?

BUG: Swenum.sys PortCls devices do not work correctly in Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

Inside of SP1.6.2 there IS a reference to Portcls.sys [4.10.2224] as coming from 321467.  Can you give any details to explain this?

You have already answer of your question ;)

Portcls.sys is EXACTLY from Q321467.

Thanks for the link. I'll update the hot-fixes-list and file-list, after releasing 2.0 FINAL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...