To do list for 2.0 FINAL

Gape

the AlwaysUnloadDll Registry Trick works wonders for windows 98 se,not very good under 2000 or xp though

Supported operating systems: Windows 95, OSR 2.x, 98, 98 SE, ME. Applies also to Windows NT 4.0, 2000 and XP, but only for 32-bit DLLs.

Open a notepad and enter the following code:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\AlwaysUnloadDll]
@="1"

File --> Save As... --> DLLTweak.reg

Double click and say Yes to apply. It's that simple.

I have another question ...

You know that in Windows XP, when you go to System Properties you have there written information about processor type, processor's clock frequency and the amount of RAM installed on the computer ...

But in Windows 98 you don't have the processor's clock frequency displayed there. So my question is: is there any way to make that happen' in Windows 98 too, through this service pack ?

10x Gape for the previous answer!

2 Gape 'bout infex.exe

how about to make short description frame (or like a frame) for each selected item in add/remove list? Of course all "descriptions" have been described in infex.ini in special section...

2 Gape 'bout infex.exe

how about to make short description frame (or like a frame) for each selected item in add/remove list? Of course all "descriptions" have been described in infex.ini in special section...

egorz,

Good idea, but I think it's not necessary for 2.0. I can do it for 2.1. I'm very close to finish 2.0, so I'm working on only missing features and testing now.

Workaround: Write the option name in a long format. For example, we can write "Adaptec ASPI Drivers Update (Version 4.60.1021)" instead of "ASPI Update".

Only patching process and uninstallation are missing now. Perhaps, if Tarun finds a better way for recreating of VMM32.VXD, I'll add it , too.

I hope I'll release RC (Release Candidate) in this weekend. If RC works good, I hope FINAL will released in 1 December.

Is 2.0 final going to fix the problem where deleting files in EXPLORER.EXE gradually causes system resources to be leaked away (viewable in Resource Meter)? This leads to crashes and extreme sluggishness (e.g. after deleting a file, 1 minute wait for Explorer to wake up).

Is there any fix for this problem?

I think I'm not the only one because after searching it sounds like others have this problem and it comes from IE 6.

This problem comes from IE 6. Because if you use IE 5.5 or older version, you don't have this problem.

Problem files are BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL. The only fix I know is that you must replace these two files with IE 5.5 SP2 versions.

For more information, please look at this link.

A fix for this problem is not in the SP 2.0, because adding a IE 6.0 specific fix is difficult. I hope I can add it in the 2.1.

This problem comes from IE 6. Because if you use IE 5.5 or older version, you don't have this problem.

Problem files are BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL. The only fix I know is that you must replace these two file with IE 5.5 SP2 versions.

A fix for this problem is not in the SP 2.0, because adding a IE 6.0 specific fix is difficult. I hope I can add it in the 2.1.

i got this really annoying problem too!!

perhaps you can add some fixes/features optional... selectable or deselectable during installation?

Problem files are BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL. The only fix I know is that you must replace these two file with IE 5.5 SP2 versions.

It also happens with Windows ME.

I have also encountered the problem when deleting a large number of files

in Explorer and it hangs when running WinME. Or it stalls for a few minutes

and then recovers & I can continue on normally. Workaround is to delete the

files in good old-fashioned File Manager tool. Go to the Windows folder and

double-click on the winfile.exe file to run File Manager. Even though File

Manager doesn't handle long filenames, it deletes files faster than Windows

Explorer and doesn't lock up Windows. You can even change the 'System'

attribute to a file which cannot be possible under Explorer.