To do list for 2.0 FINAL

Gape

Please, write any suggestion and report about 2.0 in this topic. I read all your posts carefully. :)

My to-do list for 2.0 FINAL:

- Fixing of bugs.

- Patching process (for new desktop icons).

- Testing.

Is it possible with new 98 SE SP to slipstream all updates into original Windows 98 SE source CD?

Only hot-fixes (Main Update) are slipstreamable. It is different from Windows XP's slipstream method.

Firstly, you must copy your Windows 98 SE Source CD's WIN98 directory into hard drive (like D:\WIN98). After that, you must only extract SP2.CAB into D:\WIN98. Windows Setup will use these newer fixed files during installation.

Note: You can see setup file's (SESP20B2.EXE) contents with Winzip, Winrar or PowerArchiver (Right click - Open with Winzip). SP2.CAB is in the setup file.

Hello !

Gape, how about to keep original Windows 98 SE icons. ?

The colour scheme from Windows 2000 seems to be fine to me, but I really don`t like the icons.

And...how about to replace the original boot logo with Windows 98 Second Edition boot logo.

A release date ? [i can hardly wait ... :unsure: ]

shuKaru,

As I said, Windows 2000 desktop icons and Windows 2000 color scheme features will be optional. 2.0 BETA 2 contains a new boot logo as optional feature.

All,

I have just got 16 new hot-fixes, so I think perhaps there will be a Release Candidate (RC) before FINAL. Sorry about this but we must be sure about these new hot-fixes' compatibility.

Gape!

I know that vxd fix is myth.

Read this please!

http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/vmm32.html

And do you have a 320798 hotfix ?

Microsoft Office Documents Open Slowly After You Visit Korean Web Pages

That is only Korean-localized versions of Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition.

I'm using Korean-localized versions of Windows 98 Second Edition.

If you have a 320798 hotfix, send me email please.

My email address is myinbox@empal.com.

Thanks.

I know that vxd fix is myth.

And do you have a 320798 hotfix ?

HSI,

I read the link, thank you. According to this link, "missing vxd files" is NOT a bug. They are already in the VMM32.VXD. I totally agree.

From the link: "M$ says that extracting system files that are rolled into VMM32.VXD will not increase system performance..." I don't agree with M$, sorry. Extracting some VXD files into Windows\System\VMM32 directory improves performance. I made some tests on my system with WinTune and PCPlayer 3D Benchmark, and these benchmark applications say my performance increased approximately %5 after VXD extracting. I know some other people reports similar results.

VXD-Fix contains 7 files. Service Pack contains updated versions of 4 of them. So, I already have to install these 4 files into Windows\System\VMM32.

I don't have 320798, sorry. Perhaps, you can request it from M$.

what about adding that task manager for win98 se and replace the windows 98 se one with this one instead?

here is the link:

http://www.niresoft.com/tm.asp

also would it possible to add the choice of adding or removing the windows 2000 color scheme and icons to the add/remove in the control panel or add it to the windows setup like what 98lite does so that if you make a mistake you can reinstall it without running the service pack?

Well I think there isn't too much point adding too many 3rd party applications, we can download them anyway ... they merely increase download size

My suggestions -

1. Conservative Swap file enabled only on systems with 128MB or more RAM ...

More later

Well I  think there isn't too much point adding too many 3rd party applications, we can download them anyway ... they merely increase download size

My suggestions -

1. Conservative Swap file enabled only on systems with 128MB or more RAM ...

More later

The edit to the System.ini file of ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 is meant for systems with 256MB RAM or more only. ;)

Actually I got a good performance increase on a PIII 450 with 128MB RAM with conservative swap usage, but I run on a celeron 266 + 64MB RAM at home ;)

Great to see that 2.0 organises updates in such a fashion, good work :)