BSOD during shutdown

vasil

I have the following problem: SOMETIMES during shutdown windows crashes with STOP 0x50 error -> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. The file cited in error info is win32k.sys. From what I've read this error usually means memory fault, but my system is Prime95 stable, stable with 3dMark 01, 03, 05, Aquamark, Sandra tests and so on. The crash only occurs during shutdown, and I haven't found a way to reproduce it, it seems to happen randomly. I've never experienced crash during browsing, playing games or any other activity, only when shutting down.

I *think* the memory address referenced in the error message is always the same, does that mean anything? It doesnt produce memory dump too, so I can't investigate it further... If anyone has some ideas what to do I would be very thankfull. What can cause this behaviour? What annoys me most is the fact it only occurs during shutdown, and seems to be unreproducible...

I havent had any data loses or other problems so far, so I guess I can live with these random BSODs, but...

oh, pardon me, I forgot :)

Windows XP SP2, all additional updates

Abit KV8PRO, A64 3000, 2x512MB A-Data Vitesta, 160 GB Hitachi Deskstar 7k250, Sapphire X800Pro

The processor is overclocked, but as I've previously said the system is stable with Prime 95 and other benchmarking/torture programs and the only problems I have occur during shutdown. I will however test it at default values, the problem is I don't know how to reproduce this BSOD...

Any idea how to identify the faulty driver?

I know you said youve tested your memory etc, but remove one of your memory chips and try again if it occurs try using the other memory chip. This may also relate to another hardware problem, but the best way is to do it one at a time and start with removing one of the memory chips.

defrag your harddrive.. i use O&O Defrag, so thats what id reccomend 2 u

this should clear up the issue, its from paging memory thats in use.. so clearing pagefile & defragging will fix it :)

also, try closing all programs manually b4 shutdown :)