Outlook Exp could not start b/c MSOE.dll Could not

kart77

My Outlook Express won't open. I've gone to Microsofts website and done what they said on their troubleshooting sites, but nothing is working. I'm ready to uninstall and reinstall OE, but when I started to go through the steps that their tutorials layout, something is missing. in the follwing steps:

Part 3: Uninstall Outlook Express from Windows Me

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click the Windows Setup tab.

3. Under Components, scroll down until you see Outlook Express listed. Click to clear the Outlook Express check box.

4. Click Apply, and then click OK.

When i get to step 3 there is no OE under the Components in Windows setup tab.

I don't want to uninstall OE in the main install/uninstall tab until soneone who knows what to do tells me what I should do next.

Also, I have already backed up my address book and have backed up the registry. Can anyone tell me what I should do next?

I would use Mozilla Thunderbird.

I recently had uninstall issues with OE, mainly because I never used it. I'm uncertain, but I believe that Thunderbird (like Firefox) should be able to import all of your address books etc. I've never used a desktop based mail application, but after trying Firefox. If I was ever to start using a desktop based e-mail client I would certainly go for Thunderbird.

Mozilla Thunderbird site

Why to use Thunderbird

• 2 months later...

I have had that problem on multiple machines (all 98SE). I equate it to the updates....when I updated everything properly, all of a sudden my OE wouldn't work!! Same error.

So what I did:

1. Zipped all files in the OE directory (just in case!).

2. Delete all the files except the zip file, of course. You have to delete the files or it won't work...

3. Run the IE6setup.exe file

4. Select custom, the select Outlook Express (it will already be bolded like it's OK)

5. Let it dl, install, etc...

Now you should be fine again....

Jeff

I run a wireless card through a router and recently downloaded Yahoo messenger to talk with a friend that doesnt like MSN, my biggest workaround with Outlook Express was that if I didnt run messenger in the background, I would get an error when I tried to open OE.

Depending on your ISP, mine is Canada (Rogers/Yahoo Cable), if I want to run Yahoo, I have to let messenger start up but not sign in so that I can get my hotmail and my regular ISP, email.

Although I run Firefox, I tried Thunderbird however I can not acdess my hotmail for this method, and after having this address for years, it seems a shame to let it go.

Please go to MSCONFIG and check your start up programs if you still occur problems.

Hope this helps. :)