Tweak/Setting Loader

After reading through this thread I still actually still didn't know what this "program" exactly did, so I just ran it, and it seems like it changes registry values / import some tweaks? Why would anybody want that? No offense, but isn't it better just to import your own Reg-file with the tweaks you WANT?

but isn't it better just to import your own Reg-file with the tweaks you WANT?

Answer to 'question'

You edit the cust_winnt.inf to fit your needs, its basicly still a beta version!

I have created this app so, you can choose for an ever-increasing database of system tweaks for Windows XP/2003

For someone that doesn’t know about the registry can just change the cust_winnt.inf to soot them.

This project was never really meant to be shared but I thought I would share it anyway seeing I have been putting a lot of time into it

It is based from the WINNT.SIF (Will be a tool to create the .inf file soon) File format for easy to use, your MEANT to edit it! there just isn't an upto date file format yet to go off, never saw any point as no one seemed to be intrested, plenty of downloads just no feed back, I have found most of the tweaks don't take affect until you've run it a few times which is a pain! I am going to be re-writing the tweakregwrite func in my program and re-writing the logging system to go with it

If you don't like it that’s fare enough, I can live with that!

The design is maturing from IF statements to SELECT statements to enable more error catching, be it reading the .ini file or writing to the reg, to many other problems

Example

Old

Func Universal_PnP($UPnP)
  If $UPnP = 0 Then
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV","Start","REG_DWORD","4")
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\upnphost","Start","REG_DWORD","4")
  EndIf
  If $UPnP = 1 Then
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV","Start","REG_DWORD","2")
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\upnphost","Start","REG_DWORD","2")
  EndIf
EndFunc

New

Func Universal_PnP($UPnP)
$TweakAddedBy = "Code Junkie"
$TweakAddedDate = "N/A - B4 v1.1005"
$TweakFirstImplomented = "N/A - B4 v1.1005"
$TweakVer = "v1.00"
$TweakName = "Services - Universal_PnP"
$TweakSection = "services"
$TweakKey = "universal_pnp"
 Select
   Case $UPnP = 0
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV","Start","REG_DWORD","4")
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\upnphost","Start","REG_DWORD","4")
   Case $UPnP = 1
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV","Start","REG_DWORD","2")
     TweakerRegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\upnphost","Start","REG_DWORD","2")
   Case $UPnP = -1
;-------MUST UPDATE NotImplomented Logging-------
;-----Include TweakName & Version! New Func!-----
     $NotImplomented = $NotImplomented + 1
   Case Else
     $NotImplomented = $NotImplomented + 1
 EndSelect
EndFunc

The codes longer but will help me keep track of error much easier and development

I recently started using SciTe I ran the syntax checker only to find that it had 5 errors, there are 3 that I know where present in version 1.1004, this may explain why some tweaks weren't applied

I will release and quick release after updating the ini layout, there are ALOT more tweaks this time, nearly double! and increasing daily.

Keep your eyes peels for the latest release

• 2 weeks later...
There seems to be alot of people looking at this but not alot actualy downloading it  :huh:

Whats the problem?

The topic is promising (which is why I read this thread), but the reality of perception in reading the thread is dismal, especially if taken in context of programs like nLite.

Most people would like to try something that at least seems to be close to what tha author expects... reading what "will" or "should" happen translates to "this is not really working yet" in readers' minds.

As far as the topic (tweaks), most readers interested in unattended tweaks are not that interested in learning an intermediate "lingo" like your compiled syntax. BTW, you have quite a few spelling errors in your scripts, which might cause some people problems if they try.

Since there is no description of each script entry (tweak), Newbies are typically unterested in experimenting to learn your method will do via trial and error.

What do you need to get more downloads (one of your questions)? Suggested:

1. A GUI -- clean and straightforward.

2. Clear documentation of each and every tweak you choose to include (e.g., what it does and its actual registry effect).

3. Screenshots.

4. How to integrate with commonly used setup methods.

5. Your scripter should generate neat, commented .REG files (many will still want to use .REGs).

As a starting point for the GUI, you might look at how nLite prompts the user for tweaks. I have watched true newbies use nLite's tweak section successfully on the first try with no prompting.

Anyway, it looks like you did put some effort into your work, so thanks for making it public. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...