FIX for Norton Antivirus 2005 Reg. & Activation

jbright

@ToBe

Might be as simple as restarting PC before touching Norton. I have added a psshutdown restart cmd to the end of my batch_file to restart PC very last thing. Then on first "proper" Windows run (well its the 2nd run, really) the Norton behaves itself. My NAV used to say "the pc must be restarted before using this product" or something to that effect so I have now added the restart to my batch. You could adapt this for your "runonce" thingy but as I dont use it you will have to work the syntax out for yourself.

ECHO.

ECHO Restarting the PC automatically in 15 secs...

psshutdown.exe -r -f -t 15

Thank you for answering.

I'm thinking it has something to do with that I autologon with the admin account during install, RunOnceEx executes, then I'm reseting the welcome-screen, oobe, to be able to choose/create another username when the computer has restarted.

I don't think it works when another username logs on before Norton's configuration wizard is run...

Testing is in progress......

Nope that didn't work either.

RunOnceEx adds the regentry and copy the file symlcrst.dll prior to installing NIS2005, reboots with shutdown.exe, logs on with the same username after reboot. Still no go.

It is installed, but it take ages for the configuration wizard to appear, and then it hangs.

Doing it manually, adding to the reg, copy the file, and start silent install from start/run work......... Strange.......

I've triple checked my syntax, and there is nothing wrong with it.

I wonder if the shell has to be loaded? When does your batch file execute?

I had NIS2004 working before unattended, but thisone puzzles me..... :huh:

@ToBe:

This works for me in RunOnceEx:

REG ADD %KEY%\270 /VE /D "Norton Internet Security 2005" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S D:\Install\NIS\NIS.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 2 /D "D:\Install\NIS\NIS.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 3 /D "D:\Install\NIS\NIS2005.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 4 /D "%systemdrive%\SFXTemp\NIS2005\SYMSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /QB" /f

How are you adding the registry entry - are you running regedit in RunOnceEx, or are you directly entering the registry entry in RunOnceEx? In the above code, NIS.reg is a file directly exported from the registry which contains my product key. I know it's a little backward, but try entering your product key through regedit to see if that works for you.

To all those who have successfully installed Norton Antivirus 2005 on multiple machines with a single activation, how did you originally activate it? I tried the same procedure as outlined by DLF, but my copy was phone activated, and when I restart the computer, the Norton setup wizard opens, and asks me to activate the product..

Interestingly enough, when I re-install it on the same machine it was activated on, it works perfectly (and this is a clean install, I was using VMWare to test the installations).

I really can't see what I could be doing wrong.. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks

I have created an unattended setup of NIS2005 using the infos in this topic. After restarting, I ran the automated install procedure and it installed successfully, works perfectly.

I then took my second HDD and installed a fresh Windows XP Pro on it. Tried the unattended setup and installed OK, I restarted and everything worked just fine. HOWEVER, when I ran LiveUpdate, during update, a window popped out asking me to activate the product, then NIS2005 disabled itself and wouldn't run anymore. Here's my files as follows:

NIS.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028\000000d8]
"Key"="XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\InstalledApps]
"AVENGEDEFS"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\SYMANT~1\\VIRUSD~1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedDefs]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedDefs\MicroDefs]
"LastBinUpdate"=hex:01,00,00,00
"LastTextUpdate"=hex:01,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedUsage]

setup.bat:

@echo off
Echo Installing NIS2005...
REGEDIT /S .\NIS.reg
NIS.exe
NIS2005.exe
C:\Kitt\NIS2005\SYMSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /QB
Echo Restart to complete installing NIS2005.
Echo Press "Enter" to continue...
Pause
Echo Done!

I really can't tell what went wrong...

Later Edit: I am so dumb! :realmad:

I really did something sooo stupid. I have just forgot to put the serial number in the NIS.reg so there were just a lot of X'es there :}

Sorry about posting with no reason, as you can see... :blushing:

Edited by war4peace

Ok, all I want for now is to include all the updates to my unattended installation. I just hate downloading updates everytime I install, since I'm on a dial up! But I see a lot of folders inside my %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs.. Which of those are important? I read the first page of this thread, and it was mentioned that the BinHub, incoming, TextHub, and the *.dat files inside the VirustDefs folder are important. But unfortunately, my BinHub folder (as of this time) is just 10.8mb, my incoming folder is emply, and my TextHub folder is just 32bytes. Is that all I have to include?

Second, I don't want to create and sfx for this. What I wan't to do is copy the contents of my %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs to my $OEM$\$1\Install\NIS2005\VIRUSDEF.. Is that possible?

Thanks. :P

Hi,

I 'm using Symantec Antivirus Corporate and i purchased Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2005.

NIS 2005 force me to use the Norton Anti-Virus that came with it. But i prefer using Symantec Antivirus Corporate. I know there is a conflict between the Antivirus Corporate and the Antivirus included in NIS 2005 when they are both installed.

Is there any how to install only the Firewall and the AntiSpam that came with the NIS 2005???

Thanks for yr help.

coucou

What I wan't to do is copy the contents of my %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs to my $OEM$\$1\Install\NIS2005\VIRUSDEF..  Is that possible?
Yes, its possible. You can just delete the old definitions and replace it with the new.

It has been discussed many times before. :P (links below)

So how about the firewall, antispam, and other updates?
If all those make use of other files, those can be replaced with newer versions too.

I've described in those posts linked - to replace the liveupdate,livereg,and such components of NAV. I'm sure NIS is also modular enough to make the "replace with new files" possible.

But is there a posibility to run the informationwizart unattended to?  :unsure:

You can try VBscripts (with sendkeys) or Auto-IT scripts.... but it will be too much of a bother.

If anyone else has any other solution - I'm wanting to know it too.

I was working on the Information Wizard and I have the idea that i found a workaround for the problem... I'm not sure yet. I tested in VMWare. And it worked when I removed Norton and installed it again.

I'm now testing again. Complete format and install my windows unattended with norton antivirus 2005 + activation + workaround?...

My computer is busy. and i'm going to sleep. it's 1:30 and i'll have to got to skool tomorow. I'm at home arround 17:00 So arround that time i'll let you all know if it worked or not. And ofcourse... if it worked, i'll tell you how to do it ;)

Greetz

GK