FIX for Norton Antivirus 2005 Reg. & Activation

jbright

@AL

:o  This method was copied and/or ripped from a previous post concerning NAV 2004 in which i have rectified the order of commands in order to copy the activation file before the installer :rolleyes:

Please tazke a look @ this post :

this post !!!

THE ACTIVATION PROCESS WORKS ONLY FOR ONE MACHINE.

This method is the same for all symantec products requiering an activation.

@Alias_2004

Sorry to tell you, this is not the case for NAV2005. I have tested NAV2005 on 3 separate machines at home here and I can most definitely confirm that the same symlcrst.dll file was used for all these 3 machines and all 3 worked fine. No problem. The only probs I had was when using jbright's original syntax as there were errors in it and bits missing etc. And it didnt work in the order he had it either.

The syntax I posted above WORKS PERFECTLY and works in multiple machines - no problem. Why contradict my results when you have not seen them? The NAV2005 symlcrst.dll IS NOT machine specific. NAV2004 maybe, I havent tried it.

Cannot say the same will work for NSW or NIS as I dont have these products. But I can categorically state that NAV2005 is most definitely NOT machine specific. Doesnt matter how big you capitalise "the activation process only works in one machine" or even what colour you choose - I have tested in 3 machines and got 3 machines working ok. Get over it.

RunOnceEx

cmdow @ /HID

@Echo Off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing System Appz" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Registering NAV 2005" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %SystemDrive%\Install\NAV\NAV.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Activate NAV 2005" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NAV\NAV.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Installing NAV 2005" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\NAV\NAVSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /QB" /f

EXIT

Will this work if you just copy the contents of the CD over to your Install folder like every other program I used? BTW: symlcrst.dll is RARed with the SFX comments in the NAV.exe in the reg file.

And the Reg file? I assume I put MY key where the X's are right? And are the dashes suppose to be there? One person says no, the other has it in their post.

I took out the virus definition stuff cause I perfer to get the newest right afterwards and don't wanna be tempted to update them all the time.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028\000000d8]

"Key"="XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedUsage]

@www2000:

Pardon my free association answers to your post.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028\000000d8]

"Key"="XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedUsage]

First thing I see is, you are using the registry entries for Norton Internet Security 2005. If you are installing Norton AntiVirus, the registry entry is different. Look at jbright's and DLF's posts for the registry entry for NAV. Also, the only thing you would really NEED is the line with your key. I recommend cutting the rest out, so that the only line is as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000000f\0000001b]
"Key"="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

And the Reg file?  I assume I put MY key where the X's are right?  And are the dashes suppose to be there?  One person says no, the other has it in their post.
Yes, the XXX's are where you put your registry key. In my registry entry, I have the dashes included in the key, and it works. You may not need them, but it works if they are there. (Any reason you don't want to include them? You don't save that much space by not using them. :D )
Will this work if you just copy the contents of the CD over to your Install folder like every other program I used? BTW: symlcrst.dll is RARed with the SFX comments in the NAV.exe in the reg file.

Should work, as long as you've copied the contents of your NAV CD (minus the things which can be deleted, see other posts for that info) to %systemdrive%\Install\NAV\.

I took out the virus definition stuff cause I perfer to get the newest right afterwards and don't wanna be tempted to update them all the time.

Yeah, the virus def stuff is optional, it is nice to already have them installed but it's not necessary, and it can be a pain to continually update your SFX with the newest defs.

Here's a suggestion I have for your RunOnceEx file:

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Installing NAV 2005" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %SystemDrive%\Install\NAV\NAV.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 2 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NAV\NAV.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 3 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\NAV\NAVSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /QB" /f

The time spent running regedit and the SFX with your symlcrst.dll file is so small, I recommend just saving the screen space. But that's your personal choice, whatever you like is the best thing for you.

Good luck!

:D I LIKE it!

I just did my Sound Blaster Audigy crap like that too after I kinda got the jypst of it from someone elses RunOnceEx file thing they posted.

And you verified that it's not only otay to do, but a great ideal too!

Sweeeet! This is one major learning process I tell ya!

I had to give up on my Adobe Acrobat Professional 6 being behind the scenes.

the /qn switch wasn't working. However /qr seems to be working fine. Which told me to shut down Netscape, so I tried it all over again and no matter what I can only get it working with /qr...

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /VE /D "Adobe Acrobat Professional 6" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\Photoshop\Acrobat6\AcroPro.msi /qr" /f

Reader installed fine. This one a big poo poo...

No biggie though, cause it IS unattended DVD... I shouldn't see all this stuff anyway.

Wisc

Nice work, will try asap!

Hmmmm. I wonder if the value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028\000000d8 is dependent on the key? I see different values in jrf2027 and DLF's posts, and I have yet another value...

@ToBe:

The values in my posts, at least all but the last one, are for Norton Internet Security 2005. (I borrowed the values from DLF's earlier post for NAV in my last post.) I assume that NAV will have a certain value, NAV Pro will have a certain value, NIS will have a certain value, NIS Pro will have a certain value, etc. That's why it's probably best to first install the software and look at the registry to see what the actual registry values are for your program.

The "best" way to get the correct registry: Install and activate the software, open Regedit, go to "Find...", and type in your product key. When the registry entry with the product key is found, export it as "navreg.reg" or whatever, and use that for installation.

83 doesn't show up in NAV alone.

82 does but not 83... At least it doesn't in my 2004

and my moms 2005...

NAV Reg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000000f]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000000f\0000001b]

"Key"="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\SymLCSvc]

"Install Count"=hex:01,00,00,00

I was wondering 2 things. Is it nessary to make the hirachey as it appears when you export? Or can I just take the last 82 line?

Is the install count important?

@Astalavista

"My" method definitely works for NAV2005 and is NOT machine specific. Now tested on multiple machines. You might be using the runonce method though, whereas I only run the batch_file cmd method. So I cannot comment on the runonce posts and I cannot comment on the NIS, NSW posts as I dont have these products, just NAV2005.

"My" syntax must be used exactly as it appears by copy & paste as any alteration of the order of events or syntax (except the s/n of course) will not work.

@Astalavista:

For NIS 2005, follow "my" earlier posts.

For all:

From what I can tell, be it NAV or NIS, the important steps, and the order in which they must be done, is as follows:

1. Get the symlcrst.dll file from a currently activated copy of the program you're looking to use. Ideally, this would be from the same computer on which you plan to reinstall the program. You cannot just copy this file, because as long as NAV/NIS is installed on the computer, the symlcrst.dll file is protected from copying or deletion. Copying the file can be done in two ways:

a. Install the program, activate it, then uninstall it. The file symlcrst.dll is found at %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll and will be the only file left in the folder after uninstallation of the program.

b. Install the program and activate it. Then log into your computer in safe mode and copy symlcrst.dll from the above path.

2. Make a registry entry to automatically enter your NAV/NIS product key. The only thing you need in the registry entry is the actual entry with the product key. This is best found by installing and activating the program, then entering regedit and doing a search for your product key. Once the product key is found, export that registry key and name it navreg.reg, nisreg.reg, or whatever-else-you-want.reg.

3. When installing on a clean system, install the following things in the following order:

FIRST, regedit registry key you just created (with your product key in it) into the registry.

SECOND, install symlcrst.dll to %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll. This can be accomplished in several ways - you can create a SFX to do it automatically, you can xcopy the file there, you could put it in your $OEM$ file, whatever...symlcrst.dll just needs to be in this exact location before the last step.

THIRD, install the program. The install routine must look to see if symlcrst.dll is preloaded, and if it is and it matches the version which it was expecting to find, it manually activates the installation of NAV/NIS, with the 366 days of complimentary updates commencing on the date the program is first run.

This should work for NAV and NIS (don't know about the Pro versions yet). It can be run from both RunOnceEx and start.cmd.

The order is the most important. Remember,

1. Regedit the registry key containing your product key into the registry.

2. Copy symlcrst.dll to the above location.

3. Run the install for the program.

Heck, you can probably even copy symlcrst.dll before running regedit, just as long as both are done before installation of the program starts.

bah.. I tried this on an already installed machine, adding the symlcrst.dll and the reg entries manually, and then started a silent install of NIS 2005 through start/run. Restarted the computer and it worked perfectly!

However, when I transfer the exact same procedure to install through RunOnceEX it doesn't work :blink:

The last line in ez_log.html indicates that the 'service failed to start'.

It copies the symlcrst.dll, and enters the reg settings before starting the unattended install...

Any ideas?