FIX for Norton Antivirus 2005 Reg. & Activation

jbright

I found a way to register and activate Norton AV 2005 silently. I figured I would share it.

IMPORTANT: You first have to copy symlcrst.dll from a computer with Norton AV 2005 already installed and activated. It is located in the %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc\ directory. Just copy the file to your xpcd\$oem$\$1\install\applications\NortonAntivirus2005 directory

Put this in your start.cmd:

------------------------------

ECHO.

ECHO Registering and Activating Norton Anti-Virus 2005

ECHO Please wait...

COPY "%systemdrive%\appz\NortonAntiVirus2005\symlcrst.dll" "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc\symlcrst.dll"

REGEDIT /S %SYSTEMDRIVE%\appz\NortonAntiVirus2005\NAVSETUP.reg

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Norton Anti-Virus 2005

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\appz\NortonAntiVirus2005\NAVSETUP.exe "/qn /noreboot REBOOT=ReallySuppress"

Your NAVSETUP.reg file should look like this:

---------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000000f\0000001b]

"Key"="PUT KEY HERE WITH NO DASHES"

Hope this helps some of you out. It took me a while to figure out. B)

I was working on the same thing this morning for Norton Internet Security. The procedure should be similar for NAV 2005. Here's what worked for me:

First, I deleted my current installation of NIS 2005. After the deletion process is done, the following folders are left in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ (or wherever you've installed the program files):

CCPD-LC (contains symlcrst.dll)

VirusDefs (contains the latest virus defs downloaded and installed)

I then made a WinRar SFX archive (called NIS.exe) to extract these files back to their original positions. The advantage of including the VirusDefs is that when you run LiveUpdate, the virus definitions are current. Total size of the archive is about 4 mb, as long as you've cleaned out all but the most current virus defs - but don't delete the BinHub, Incoming, and TextHub folders or the two .dat files as they are important for later updating. Here's the comment from my archive:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%programfiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared
SavePath
Silent=2
Overwrite=1

Next, I created a registry file called NIS.reg, with the following text:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000083\00000028\000000d8]
"Key"="INSE-RTYO-URKE-YHER-E123-4567"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\InstalledApps]
"AVENGEDEFS"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\SYMANT~1\\VIRUSD~1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedDefs]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedDefs\MicroDefs]
"LastBinUpdate"=hex:01,00,00,00
"LastTextUpdate"=hex:01,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SharedUsage]

You probably don't need all this, but it's what is left after the original installation is deleted and the cleanup is complete. After all, by bypassing the activation, we're trying to fool the installer to think it's performing a reinstallation to the same machine which originally had the program, which, technically, you are doing if you reformat your drive and reinstall Windows and the programs.

I had previously created a WinRAR SFX archive of NIS 2005 (called simply enough NIS2005.exe), which extrated the files to %systemdrive%\SFXTemp\NIS2005\. Here's the text of the comment for that archive:

Path=%systemdrive%\SFXTemp\NIS2005\
SavePath
Silent=2
Overwrite=1
Title=Norton Internet Security 2005 Unattended Setup

I put NIS.reg, NIS.exe, and NIS2005.exe all into a file called "NIS" in my install folder.

Now, here's my code for RunOnceEx.cmd:

REG ADD %KEY%\270 /VE /D "Norton Internet Security 2005" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S D:\Install\NIS\NIS.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 2 /D "D:\Install\NIS\NIS.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 3 /D "D:\Install\NIS\NIS2005.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\270 /V 4 /D "%systemdrive%\SFXTemp\NIS2005\SYMSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /QB" /f

(I install all my programs from a second partition on my hard drive which is not reformatted during Windows installation. If you use a CD, substitute "%cdrom%" for "D:\". )

First, the registry entry is run. Then, the NIS.exe file runs, which extracts the files to Symantec Shared, including the symlcrst.dll file to CCPD-LC. Next, NIS 2005 installation begins.

By putting the symlcrst.dll file in its expected location BEFORE running the installation program, the installation program automatically activates the program during the installation. I'd run into problems before trying to copy symlcrst.dll to CCPD-LC after installation was run, also. This setup works flawlessly for me.

whats ineed to now is if  a single  activaction works in all systems ?

I don't know if it does, and I'm not going to find out. If you only have one license, you can only install it on one machine. Anything above and beyond that is piracy.

@jbright

Thanks for sharing this solution. This is the one most of us have been waiting for. It seems too simple to be true bearing in mind all the mullarky with 2004. I'm gonna test it a.s.a.p. Fair play to you, well done - and ignore the trolls.

@jbright

Tried your system today and it did not work. The reason is: when you install NAV the installer writes a fresh version of the .dll in the CCPD-LC directory. Then when the batch file tries to MKDIR it rears up and says "Folder already in use by another process" - which is obviously NAV. And it wouldn't work the other way round either because if you made the dir first and copied the .dll into it, the NAV installer would simply overwrite it!

P.S. Your batch file syntax is incorrect anyway,you've missed the "start /wait" bit out from your 5th line.

Close but no cigar, thought it sounded too good to be true. :}

And it wouldn't work the other way round either because if you made the dir first and copied the .dll into it, the NAV installer would simply overwrite it!

I can confirm that the install program (for NIS, at least) does NOT overwrite the symlcrst.dll file. At first, I thought it would, but I tried it just to see if it would work.

In fact, the program does a manual activation based on the presence of the symlcrst.dll file - here's the text of my ez_log.html file from the CCPD-LC folder:

13.11.2004 11:58:56:499 580 Manual mode enabled.
13.11.2004 11:58:56:499 580 Executing version 1.8.54.478 of C:\DOCUME~1\Jason\LOCALS~1\Temp\SymLCSVC.EXE
13.11.2004 11:58:56:499 580 Commandline = "C:\DOCUME~1\JASON\LOCALS~1\TEMP\SYMLCSVC.EXE" INSTALL /MANUAL
13.11.2004 11:58:56:499 580 NT based operating system detected.
13.11.2004 11:58:56:499 580 Installation initiated.
13.11.2004 11:58:57:50 580 Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\symlctnk.dll
13.11.2004 11:58:57:50 580 Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\symlcnet.dll
13.11.2004 11:58:57:50 580 Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\symlcsvc.exe
13.11.2004 11:58:57:80 580 Writing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcnet.dll
13.11.2004 11:58:57:110 580 Writing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlctnk.dll
13.11.2004 11:58:57:130 580 Relaunching the installer from the correct location.
13.11.2004 11:58:57:150 580 Installation complete.
13.11.2004 11:58:57:170 1432 Manual mode enabled.
13.11.2004 11:58:57:170 1432 Executing version 1.8.54.478 of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
13.11.2004 11:58:57:170 1432 Commandline = "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE" INSTALL /MANUAL
13.11.2004 11:58:57:170 1432 NT based operating system detected.
13.11.2004 11:58:57:170 1432 Installation initiated.
13.11.2004 11:58:57:180 1440 Start service initiating.
13.11.2004 11:58:57:631 1432 Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\symlctnk.dll
13.11.2004 11:58:57:631 1432 Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\symlcnet.dll
13.11.2004 11:58:57:631 1432 Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\symlcsvc.exe
13.11.2004 11:58:58:662 1432 Installation successful.
13.11.2004 11:59:00:665 1440 Service started.

I started the unattended installation around 11:57 or so, I didn't track the exact time. The computer was not connected to the Internet at the time, so it couldn't do an online activation.

My method has worked twice for me, both installing on a Windows installation with a previous installtion deleted and then reinstalled, and also on a fresh Windows installation. Interestingly enough, when reinstalled on a system with a previous install deleted, the 366 days started at the time the program was originally installed on the system, but on a clean Windows install the 366 days starts the day the program installs.:thumbup

I had tried before the copy the CCPD-LC file after installation, but the copy always failed. In fact, with a current installation of NIS on the computer, the only way I was able to copy symlcrst.dll was to go into safe mode. And copying the symlcrst.dll file from an activated installation to an unactivated installation did not work.

Follow mine, it works, I guarantee it. If it doesn't, I'll pay back every cent you paid me for the information. B)

@jbright:

I was working on it apparently at the exact same time you were. You beat me to the post, obviously, because while you were posting the first post in the thread (at 11:58 a.m. on 11/13/04) my install was running (as evidenced by the time stamp in my last post re: my ez-log.html file and the fact that currently my local time, Central Standard Time, is the same as MSFN posting time). After I confirmed my install method would work on a clean install of Windows (which was accomplished between 12:15 p.m. and 1:05 p.m. 11/13/04), I posted my instructions as an alternative/clarification to yours at 1:20 p.m. As my computer was not connected to the Web during my install attempts (I use a second hard drive to test my installs) I didn't even know about your install attempts until after I had confirmed my attempts worked.

After I read about your method, I did not test yours to see if yours would work or not, I just knew from my previous attempts a couple of days earlier that a similar attempt I had made, that is, installing symlcrst.dll to the CCPD-LC file after installation of Norton Internet Security, did not work for me. And I knew that what I had done earlier that day - installing the CCPD-LC folder with symlcrst.dll inside prior to installing Norton Internet Security - did work for me.

I don't need credit for it, and I'm not trying to steal credit from you. I was distinguishing the method in "my" posts from the method in "your" posts, which obviously other people were trying and not having success. Heck, there were other posts I had read prior to my attempts that led me to which files to use, so I highly doubt that either of us are the first human beings on Earth to accomplish this.

Isn't the important thing here - the reason you posted your findings, the reason I posted my findings, the reason those before us posted their findings - that we've made installs of these programs a heck of a lot easier for many others? :yes:

@jrf2027

@jbright

et al

Done some more testing and can confirm what was said earlier that the NAV2005 installer does NOT overwrite the placed already activated one. (I mistakenly thought it would). I can also confirm that the method works on multiple machines tested = OK.

THE METHOD = Install NAV 2005. Register it and activate it. Then uninstall the product and retrieve "symlcryst.dll" which is left after the uninstall in dir X:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC. Copy this .dll into your Install\Applications\NAV2005 dir along with all the NAV setup files straight off your CD (or wherever) and slim down using same deletions as for NAV2004 if you're pushed for space.

Use this syntax in your batch_file.cmd =

ECHO.

ECHO Registering and Activating Norton Anti-Virus 2005

ECHO Please wait...

MKDIR "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc"

COPY "%systemdrive%\install\applications\Nav2005\symlcrst.dll" "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc\"

REGEDIT /S %SYSTEMDRIVE%\install\applications\Nav2005\NAVSETUP.reg

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Norton Anti-Virus 2005

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\install\applications\Nav2005\NAVSETUP.exe "/qn /noreboot REBOOT=ReallySuppress"

and put a file called Navsetup.reg which contains the following in your NAV2005 dir

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000000f\0000001b]

"Key"="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

Hope this helps someone. Just working on pre-updating the virus defs now, but there's loads of threads on how to do that. One of them should work.