Windows XP as a server?

Ashimema

I've read alot about converting Windows Server 2003 to a workstation, but is there any way to do the oposite. I've not found anything about importing components into XP Pro to convert it into a server. Is this possible?

This is more just a niggling littel question than anything else, a link to hows it's done, or just a plain and simple, It's impossible will quench my thirst!

Thanks

Ashimema

You can do roaming profiles, fileserving and ftp without having to install any third party software.

For FTP & webserver: Install IIS from ur windows Pro CD

For Roaming profiles: Create a network share ( i.e: "Profiles$" and allow full access to "ANONYMOUS USERS" group For testing purpose only when everything will be working good u'll need to renforce the security of the share.

I personnally do not recommand roaming profiles. I strongly suggest that you use "folders mapping" from group policy. That way u can tell windows that C:\Documents and settings\Army20 will be "\\WinXpServer\Profiles$\Army20" and windows will not copy files every time you log on so it's faster :).

There's a few more "server" fonction in WinXP Like internet sharing, remote control, shutting down any pc in your network

-M

Well as a main objective i'de like to run roaming profiles form the mechine. but also fileserving, and small scale ftp woudl be usefull.

Webserver: IIS could do fine, Apache is another alternative which is very much worth being looked into (and other apps as req'd; PHP, MySQL, other DBs and what not) Especially since IIS 5.1 is VERY limited - even if you edit the metabase. I'd rather even use a 2000 server box than a XP box for serving with IIS, but then again Apache would work fine and is considered by most as less vulnerable.

FTP: Anything *BUT* IIS (it just uber super mega sucks at it). There's tons of good ones (incl some freeware ones). Google for "ftp server" and you'll find lots or look for reviews or ...

Depending on your actual needs (or needs down the road, not long time but semi-long time...) win 2003 could be a better option (even though it's more $$ to cough up).

I like to have one (or more, depending on network size) win 2003 server on a network, and XP pro on the desktop (that's if you're not the *nix type). Lots of ppl will end up using DCP, DNS, web services and other features from 2003 down the road, and 2003 has other advantages that pays off right now (such as IIS6).

Just one thing to thinnk about Windows XP Pro used as a server will only allow 10 connections to the PC used as the server. [someone may tell me different] so in an office with 10 plus PC's you would need to have two servers.

hail hail

For Roaming profiles: Create a network share ( i.e: "Profiles$" and allow full access to "ANONYMOUS USERS" group For testing purpose only when everything will be working good u'll need to renforce the security of the share.

This is what i've been trying to do without much avail. Any hint's, tips, details would be usefull ( mycomp did just fry two hard disks however so i will need a few days to get over that and setup again!)

Grrr, i just lost 240GB of stuff! ALWAYS BACKUP, i just learn't my lesson!