XP SP2 CD with Slipstreamed SATA/RAID Drivers

xper

i like Hitachi. Sure I run the risk of them failing, but they have a 3 year warranty compared to the 1 year most others have. If I keep things backup, I don't really care that it fails, I have a few spares in the closet ready to go with WIndows installed and everything just to put it in the system.

Western Digital has gotten extremely weird about their warranties. Retail drives, unless they are raptors are all 1 year. Only OEM JB SE drives have 3 years. Its better to stick with Seagtes they all have 5 years now no matter what. I perfer a company who sticks by their products for 5 years not fuss or fine print. I just got a 400GB its smoking fast.

Thanks to Michael Hollinger and xper!!! :D All my problems are solved.

I created a Windows XP Pro w/SP2 and other updates a while back ago when only when SP1 was out... Burned it to a CD, and it has been serving me without any problems for a long time now....

That all changed when I bought my dad a new MB. An "Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe" that is. Windows could not detect the "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATA/Raid Controller" upon a fresh install. And since I was using a Simi-Unintended version of Windows, the F6 key does not work. Thanks to the "winnt.sif" file. (I noticed that if I removed that file setup would continue fine, but then windows was not an Unintended Installation any more), Farther more I don't really know why this happens, (Lack of coding on Microsoft's part, or just the way I did it I guess.)

However the MSFN Unattended Guide, (http://unattended.msfn.org/index.htm), does warn you that the F6 key won't work when using this method.

After 3 days of Google reading half the internet, I came to the conclusion that basically Windows will only seem to recognize the SATA Controller if it is not part of the PCI bus chip or preprogrammed into the board - that way Windows Setup will see it. If you wondering how come Windows Setup always seems to find the SATA Controller on a Intel board it is because most Intel MB have the SATA on a separate controller. Or something like this anyway. I don't remember all the facts now. (Sorry my small brain is overloaded at the moment. EDIT: I will post new info). The whole point is Windows Setup will not detect your Hard drive based on there is no driver for it.

With this guide I Slipstreamed the necessary drivers needed. Now I can still have my Unintended version of windows and it still works my other computer since Windows Automatically determines the correct drivers for my Controller!

Thanks for the Guide and all the hell you went through testing it!!! B) :thumbup

(Sorry for the long reply) :wacko:

Edited by Blam-O!

I don't know what specific guide you have been using but I've been using this guide for a long time now and with succes I might add. (and I also have a A7N8X-E Deluxe)

So basicly all you have to do is adding the following things to your TXTSETUP.SIF as you can see @ nforcershq.com

[SourceDisksFiles]
si3112r.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095 = "si3112r"

[SCSI.Load]
si3112r = si3112r.sys,4

[SCSI]
si3112r = "Silicon Image SiI3112A SATA RAID Controller"

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i've been reading these threads for several days now, I want to slipstream my 3 mobo SATA drivers (Fasttrak, iastor & viamraid.sys) to an unattended disc.

When making a regular XPSP2 Unat CD it works just great :thumbup

The problem comes when trying to do it to a MultiBoot DVD! :(

I've seen this problem posted several times within the board, but there's no 'real' answer for this yet. The problem I have is "xxxxxx.sys cannot be found" message.

What I did was to copy all the .sys files to the boot directories of each distribution, now a new message appears: "xxxxxx.sys is damaged", (or corrupt, i don't know the exact translation for "dañado" from spanish).

Conclusion: I can't get this method to work with a multiboot DVD.

Has anyone found an answer for this yet?

but this won´t work for me and my intel ich6 raid system :(

I don't understand why it won't work....use the " Unattended " winnt.sif file setup along with the OEM folder and the guide. Please explain more... :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm glad everyone's been getting so much use from my guide - thanks for the emailed success stories! This guide has been translated into Russian, reached eMule, and probably other locations I don't even know about.

However, some folks have had problems with my clarity, or there have been a few steps that are hard to visualize. Thinking about all the 'coasters' I made trying to write the guide, I agree! With that in mind, I have created a new guide

If anyone could get me some webspace, I would happily upload it (1.34MB pdf due to color in-document pictures). I would host it myself, but I am afraid my poor Frankensteined PIII 700 on my home cable connection wouldn't appreciate much traffic (and my housemates would definitely be after me if their gaming suffered tongue.gif )

Please contact me if you would be willing to host!

Edited by Morthane

could somebody please write instructions for the nvidia raid integration?

i've been trying but i think i'm just crap :blushing:

I have had one other person approach me about having problems with this. After reading the new guide, he seemed to be OK or decided I didn't have the answer... :}

I don't remember the details, but I do agree that it was... odd. Hopefully, Longhorn/Vista will solve things for good!

BTW, for those interested, you may want to consider a Tyan motherboard for your next purchase - apparently their onboard RAID 'fakes' a PATA drive during Windows installation!

• 1 month later...

Got a question about this....when i copy my windows install from cd to my hard drive for integrating the raid driver, can i copy my Unattended CD install to the hard drive, integrate my raid driver, then burn it back to cd, and it will still be UA and have the drivers installed without asking for the floppy disk?