HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@tommyp

Please find the attached WU.zip and help me out to overcome this problem.

Thanks kreative19

I've read the contents of your HF directory. You have way too much stuff in there. Please see the first thread in this thread on what fixes are supposed to go in there. For starters, all of these don't belong:

MDAC_TYP.EXE

StepByStepInteractiveTraining-KB898458-x8

WindowsMedia9-KB885492-x86-ENU.exe

js51nen.exe

js56nen.exe

MSJavx86.exe

msjav.exe

Also, the hotfixes you are slipstreaming are for ENGLISH. So I'm not sure if you have an English CD or not. If you have a language other than english, you will have to use your localized hotfixes.

@saugatak - Thanks for the heads up with the rollup. I'll check it out in a bit.

1. HFSLIP does not have it's own forum which means that all different types of issues are under this one long thread. This makes it difficult to pick up on useful tips and the questions being asked are often complex and confusing to the newbie. Yes, I did real the whole thread!

Possible solutions:

a. Ask the MSFN moderators for nice shiny new HFSLIP section so there can be multiple threads.

@Alanoll, @prathatml

Nice suggestion?

As tommyp noted, a new milestone is being worked that fill remedy some recent bugs. after that we'll see what we have and then consider a forum. by now we have a quarter mile of wreckage in the form of posts that refer to bugs long solved :D so yeah, it's probably time we thought about such a move...

@Oleg_II

You mean if I take out the only hotfix for IE I have IE5.01sp4-KB896727-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe it's going to work?
yes, it will... without IE, you really do not need that patch. for the sake of preventing confusion, i direct folks to use it, but without ie it isn't necessary. it merely updates some shell files to fix the internet zone / local zone issues, but without ie, nothing else is allowed to cross between zones.
Can it be installed after system installation when everything works?

yes, you could if you wanted to.

Your last set of files works very good for me except for installing OE and openning .chm files.

.chm files fixed. outlook no longer suppored. standalone outlook6.exe installer available from (somewhere).

Edited by fdv

by now we have a quarter mile of wreckage in the form of posts that refer to bugs long solved  :D so yeah, it's probably time we thought about such a move...

FDV you crack me up :lol:

thats one way to put it. it really does need to be cleaned up and/or redone somehow. It was 90% over my head but I read it anyway.

Tough to get new recruits with all of that. Maybe we can add a link to the first post telling newbies to read step by step instructions before reading through the entire thread. Also perhaps direct new people to skip ahead to a more recent post # to start reading at that is more current/relevant to what HFSLIP has become today.

PeterG you can also use the very last step of nLite to make a bootable iso and just burn it to a cd that way.

Hey man! So I'm on here at the ambulance garage again tonight. Not really doing much HFSLIP work, true. We're at a bit of a sticking point, we have about three ways of refining a process and TommyP is working on the best method. <shouts> Hey TP tell us what's up! (He's in the lab, trying to distill weasel grease out of a certain competitor's product). Okay well anyway I have an alpha that I've been tinkering with and this next revision will I think concentrate most on doing what it does a little more simply. At PeterGau's prodding I am also looking into ISO creation, but the trouble is, the EXE that other people bundle with their software is a Microsoft file and is not freeware - as I understand, it's not legal to just ship. So, I have a Win32 ver of MKISOFS and am working out the best way to make an ISO with that. When things are quiet, you know we're testing things, basically :thumbup

ttyl

- And now, a quote from Jack Handey:

"I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on."

Edited by fdv

A wishful thinking on my side,

I'm just an ordinary user.

I can install windows, use productivity applications.

But when it comes to cmd, registry, networking, I'M ZERO.

It would be wonderful if an (exe) file is made that would do everthing (downloading hotfixes then integration) Of course with interaction with user.

The user can take care of burning.

Please pardon me, if you find that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Just ignore it if you're annoyed by this.

Thanks

toyrum

TommyP

Just wanted to say I cleaned up the stuff in my HF and the slip for xp worked like a charm. WU did think I needed to install KB898461 - even though it was done in the slip. Another odd thing, when I Nlite a copy of the sourcess and try to install - it locks up at the T9 point. :blink: I will post there.

while playing around with this I found a couple of anomilys. (ahem)

1. if the sysoc.inf exist instead of sysoc.in_ in sources - the result is both are in sourceSS and the ._ ver is empty except for slip stuff. The reult being that

the xp install SEEMED to be working, but there was NO IE - just an icon on the desk. No Iexplore.exe anywhere on the drive.

@fdv - if you get bonked on the head and start using XP this might be way to strip ie? :no:

2. there is a file "empty.txt" in my source (and on every CD I looked at) that doesn't make it to sourcesss. I placed it in FIX just to avoid the error msg.

ya - i am probably using an older script :whistle:

Hi to all , this is my first post , just today i discovered this forums , i really admire your work :D

I have a language error, the HFNETCHK -V -F C:\WU.TXT i cant be because in the hyperlink of the faq there arent link to download...

I attached the zip

PD: Sorry for my bad English

whatwrong.zip

I didn't forget about hfslip, in fact I've been doing so many test runs, I'm getting sick of it. The next version is a drastic change from the past, but since it's only a command prompt program, it will the same to the user. I'm trying to make it easier to add things in the future (once I figure out some fancy scripting), but this change is necessary if I want to make it easier for me in the future. The issue I'm having now is directx and when some lines are processed during installation. This is kind of key for the next version. Today I have dissected the setup process, all along the way from T-X to T=0 seeing when is the best time to inject settings/inf files/etc. It's pretty cool watching stuff get added to registry and then processed. The issue I'm having is with DX9 and trying to fix problems posted a week or so ago. I thought I had the solution, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just trying to inject too much DX9 stuff. But give a little while before it's resolved. I'm working as fast as I can, Captain. :)

@zottan - I'm sorry I can't help you with the problem you have. Please rephrase it so I know what's wrong. If you are slipstreaming 2003 server, you MUST slipstream SP1 manually first for HFSLIP to work. Also, please doublecheck the hotfixes to see if they post SP1 fixes. I don't have a list of hotfixes handy, and I don't use/have 2003 server either.

@Electrian - The empty.txt fix was implemented about a month ago, and since then other changes also took place. My buddy Lupo from half way around the world mailed me some nice code to take care of the sysoc.inf file. That issue should be gone too. That's strange with the KB898461 though. I'll have to investigate. Can you do me a favor? Before you post that you have issues with HFSLIP, please verify that you have the latest version of HFSLIP as you are bringing up issues that were resolved a few weeks/months back. Thanks!

@tommyp, I also found that hotfix KB898461 needed to be installed by WU even though it was in my hotfix folder. This is the new windows installer package so I guess it may require some other way of integration?

I was using ~Sep6 version of HFSLIP on WinXP.

The new version sounds good - you are doing all of us a big favour with all your work!

PG

1.  if the sysoc.inf exist instead of sysoc.in_ in sources - the result is both are in sourceSS and the ._ ver is empty except for slip stuff.  The  reult being that

the xp install SEEMED to be working...

@tommyp @Electrician

Well, the problem is that I haven't xp and I don't know if there is sysoc.inf or sysoc.in_.

So if in the installation CD of windows xp (and/or 2003) there is sysoc.inf instead of sysoc.in_ my lines (old and new) are wrong.

You have to modify this line: (this assume that also in 2003 there is sysoc.inf in source)

EXPAND -r SOURCE\I386\SYSOC.IN_ WORK

with these:

COPY SOURCE\I386\SYSOC.INF WORK\SYSOC.INF
IF "%VERSION%"=="2000" EXPAND -r SOURCE\I386\SYSOC.IN_ WORK

and this line:

MAKECAB WORK\SYSOC.INF /L SOURCESS\I386

with this:

IF "%VERSION%"=="2000" MAKECAB WORK\SYSOC.INF /L SOURCESS\I386

@all

can anyone post which sysoc.inX file are present for each installation CD of windows?