HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@dziubek:

Thanks for using the error report for the issues you have with HFSLIP. Hopefully these answers are OK for you.

1) The error messages you see when the script is running throught the msxml extacting are fine (the msxml ones). There's a ton of filtering happening there and I had to make the script as generic as possible. The alternative to not seeing that is to just have the dos window show a plain old black screen, which isn't too desireable.

2) KB887472 - It is missing from your list because you didn't slipstream it.

3) KB890046 - MSFT has an interesting installer with international versions. The change will be incorporated into the next HFSLIP. I hate how microsoft can't keep international versions the same as english.

4) KB890830 (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool). It's a known issue that this fix isn't slipstreamed. Do you anticipate malicious software on a clean install? I'll look into slipstreaming it.

oops... my answer is above. Looking forward to the updates above. Also... perhaps this is in the guide, is there a way to create multiple accounts with the unattended install with specific rights (like Guest rights)?

Edited by hoonu

One more thing, is there a way to keep the HFSLIP uninstall option out of the add/remove programs? I'm using this on test systems for a software system and I rather not provoke our testers any more than I have to.

@hoonu - HFSLIP is a slipstreamer, so you can't uninstall it. It's all integrated together. For you unattended needs (other software, guest accounts, etc), I would suggest you visit unattended.msfn.org site.

@Oleg_II - I was able to duplicate the issues you had with Outlook. Strange that it's flaky now, it wasn't a few months ago, and I believe that the newest ie hotfixes are responsible (whether the IE5 or IE6 patches, it doesn't matter). Anyway, am revising and testing my files to just leave it out altogether. It could still be installed separately, I am retaining that INF as well as adding an optional INF for the IE core to allow installation of Maxthon <AHEM COUGH get mozilla or firefox gaddang it COUGH>.

As for outdated versions... Microsoft puts older versions of some files in hotfixes. Perhaps by accident, perhaps because they didn't work at time of release, who the heck can guess, but it's one of the signs of an operating system division in decline. They just don't pay attention to fixing bugs, and releasing revisions of service packs (like NT4's 6a, or XP's SP 1a, or Win2k's broken rollup) proves that they put more energy into alienating existing customers than listening to feedback.

It's widely believed that Gates suffers a mild Asperger's Syndrome, which is marked by a complete lack of interest in anything anyone else has to say and complete fixation with the sufferer's own extremely narrow interests. Unfortunately, that seems to be the Corporation's method of operation.

1.Thanks, I understand now, You oneself it if would was pretended magnificently :).

2. didn't know , HFSLIP didn't serve this hotfix once.

3. When you plan new version HFSLIP ?

4. On clean system don't use him ( I never use this :) )

If would would be successful then what I have to doesn't use, at last after installation WU will be empty :)

HFSLIP would place in register similar code maybe automatically to remove from WU, I ask consider this :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ RemovalTools \ MRT]
"Version"="3752278B-57D3-4D44-8F30-A98F957EC3C8"

When I first opened WU I must install KB898461

And what do from this to make , you have idea?

@dziubek - HFSLIP will be updated shortly (FDV may post when it's up) that has the fix for the odd update. The MRT thing code you posted changes from month to month. I think I have an idea to get it done. You'll need to hold on for that fix as I'm working on some more things to slipstream. ...KB898461. I'll have to look into this one.

@kukris - Please visit FDV's site on what KB#'s you should have in your folder. You have way too many in there. I didn't verify the list as FDV has it published already, but you do not need js56nde.exe (scriptde.exe supercedes it), MDAC_TYP.EXE (the rollup fixes this), msxmlcab.exe (isn't needed), Q832894.exe (a blast from the past IE hotfix). You need to tidy down your HF folder. Fix it up and report back.

@FDV - thanks for posting.

All - Grab the international fix.

Edited by tommyp

Hi, I 've decided I would like to use HFSLIP because it seems to be a good program to re-install my computer without too much hassle and make a compact installation. I'm following instructions on FDV's web site but have hit a couple of snags.

a. In the previous pages on this thread, there were references to a help file called instructions.txt, I cannot find this file but assume it has been replaced by FDV's web pages. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

b. I have come to the point:

"3. Download LegitCheckControl.msi (Windows Genuine Advantage) . Windows Update is explained in more detail here, XML file here.

4. Extract the file with winzip/winrar and put the MSI installer into the HF folder. If you just put it into the HF folder, the correct files will not extract."

but when I click on the link "LegitCheckControl.msi", an exe file with a very long name is downloaded and I don't see how I can extract a file from it as advised.

The second link in section 3 above "(Windows Genuine Advantage)" is currently not available from MS.

I am a newbie to this so any advice would be appreciated.

PG

@PeterGau -

a. Yes, my website replaces all other instructions.

b. The Windows Genuine Advantage is optional, actually. You can simply go ahead and slipstream and then when you visit Microsoft's site, you'll have to download the Windows Genuine Annoyance Validation Tool and run it. It's no biggie. That it's not available is just Microsoft's way of saying "thanks" to all of its cherished customers it loves so much.

You didn't hear it from me, but there are two registry values you can install that eliminate the need for this WGA, just Google around a bit for "17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700".

@fdv - thanks for your quick reply, I'll continue with my adventure into HFSLIP. I can forget about WGA as I'm not too fussed about having everything absolutely up to date. I'll look into your google suggestion.

Yeah, I'm not keen on Microsodt either, but I don't want to spend too much time on keeping my computer safe so it's easy to use MS autoupdate.

I noticed that the latest Sun linux distro comes on 6 CDs ....ouch, maybe MS is not so bad.

PG

@all USA/Louisiana folks - In order to file online Katrina damage claims with FEMA, you are required to only use IE. If you are IE free and use FF or Mozilla, you will need the User Agent Switcher. Spread the word as necessary. Yes, this leaves Mac and Unix users out in the dark... (And several public Internet access terminals were set up at the disaster site, and they boot Linux.) Thanks, FEMA!

@PeterGau - might want to try

Fedora Core instead.

Hi,

I ran HFSLIP this evening and everything seemed to go OK to create the SOURCESS folder.

I have another quick question. In Step 6 for Windows XP slipstreaming, FDV's instructions say:

Copy the root files from the Windows CD to D:\HFSLIP\SOURCE

Windows XP

WIN51

WIN51IP

Win51ip.sp2

My question is, should I not also copy over setup.exe? I would have thought that Windows would not install without this file. Sorry to seem dim but in a later screenshot in section 8 of the guide, there is no sign of setup.exe in the top level source directory so it's a little confusing.

I could copy this file into the SOURCESS folder before making the ISO etc.

Thanks for any advice on this, I don't want to make too many coasters.

PG