HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Is it possible there's been some mistake? I've downloaded that file (50808) yesterday already. I was using 50806 up and through the day before yesterday.

For what it's worth, I didn't notice any improvement... Sorry...

I'm now adding all hotfixes via a CMD file inside a 7-zipped switchless (placed inside the folder for switchless installers). That works.

Edited by Tomcat76

No luck. I've tried downloading it while on your site, have reloaded this thread's main page and your page via Ctrl-F5, and eventually cleared the cache (all of it). I'm still getting the package with "HFSLIP_50808.CMD" in it...

I'm usually on Opera but my main drive died so I'm now only using IE.

Let me try on a different computer...

Edit:

Well, that worked. Must be some weird cache problem...

Edited by Tomcat76

Two questions/remarks about the new instructions:

1) What about the MDAC update (Q832483)? Is it no longer required?

2) In step 4, subsection "Windows Update, LegitCheck" you ask to download the Windows Update agent (2) and extract the MSI from it (3). It doesn't contain an MSI as far as I can see...

Edit:

Hmm... Would it be possible that (3) applies to (4), the WGA utility? I have placed the WU Agent inside HF before and all went fine. The WGA utility does contain an MSI but you don't ask to extract it. So I guess you got (3) and (4) mixed up...

Edited by Tomcat76

Multilingual?

I just started up the program and got this error message (translated from Dutch):

"Cannot find the file HF\Windows 2000-KB891861-x86-ENU.EXE (or one of its components). Verify if the path and the file name are correct and if all required libraries are available."

I'm not surprised it can't find it when the file is Dutch... :)

Edited by Tomcat76

@saugatak - You are correct about that file, I will look into it... Unfortunately, the individual language files are _also_ installed in TXTSETUP and LAYOUT, etc, so they would have to all be commented out. I don't really want to go down that road since so many of my fileset users are international, but I will take a look further into language elimination.

@Tomcat76 - MDAC is no longer required... At this point there are a number of little things that are in the new instructions but that I did not bring to anyone's attention. For example, you are correct about accidentally switching 3 and 4 (thanks for pointing that out). Also, one new file, OEEXCEP.CAB, is needed for slipstreaming IE6 into Win2k. Little things like this... You guys that have been users since day one will get thrown off with these little changes, and I apologize for not documenting those :whistle:

@Tomcat76 - Thanks for the feedback. I found the error and sent the new hfslip to FDV for reposting. He'll post here once it's uploaded. Thanks again and sorry for inconvenience. :)

TP

I like the new instructions format :thumbup step by step and easy enough to follow.

Is there by chance a typo in step 2 for winXP slipstreaming SP2?

-----

Open a command prompt by going to Start/programs/accessories/command prompt

Type D:\SP\name of service pack.EXE -x

When asked which directory you want to expand to, accept its default.

Type D:\SP\i386\UPDATE\UPDATE.EXE -s:D:\

-----

I have D:\SP and D:\i386.

Iused:WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU as name of service pack.

when I typed D:\SP\i386\UPDATE\UPDATE.EXE -s:D:\ into the cmd prompt

it says, "The system cannot find the path specified."

Has this happened to anyone else or am I still learning how to read lol ?

Edited by Outatouch

Tonight's entertainment.

So I have access to email and I see HFSLIP's update. But I am on a public terminal and trying to use FTP... No problem... uh-oh, I'm on XP. I hate XP. Anyway. So I'm trying and trying but Windows Firewall has been set up to block port 21 and I am one admin of many but they also have content filtering software on this machine. So I figure I can engineer a way to upload the file to my server after I mess around with things, but ultimately, I can't -- now I know this isn't a blog, but you'll get a kick out of hearing the reason why I didn't get to unblock FTP and upload the new version tonight.

Just as I am trying to figure out how to unblock every gaddanged thing to FTP the update, a 911 call comes in.

Now, I work in IT and I'm a writer working in an industry related to finance. But I also work for two ambulance companies. So I respond for a suicidal male at the police department claiming to have taken a bunch of tranquilziers and a pint of alcohol. It's 2am, I am tired, but up to the challenge. I talk with him and after a search for sharp objects the police release him to us, and we get him in our ambulance. I'm thinking tranquilizers, so respiratory arrest or compromise is a possibility and maybe I want to intubate, and I definately want to establish an IV but he's jittery and just squirming, and unclicks the restraints on the cot. :wacko:

I convince him that's not in anyone's best interest... they're there for his safety. He's way too animated for me to do an IV and he's just too hyped up, so I'm thinking those weren't tranquilzers -- he lied. Thankfully, because I know how to de-escalate many drug abusers, he cooperates with me and settles down. We wheel him into the Emergency Room, they hear he took pills and announce that we're to take him to the psychiatric unit. Boom, the guy decides he's gonna bail. He hops off the cot. Oh, JOY.

With dozens of hospital patients in earshot, he unleashes a tirade of expletives and starts swinging. Probably coke, and I don't mean the drink... took four of us to get him down. <sighs> I'm beat and I just wanna go to bed :unsure:

So... the update will have to wait until I am home tomorrow at about 11am Eastern.

TommyP:

You'll want to use filecase.exe to uppercase all the filenames in at least i386, otherwise you will sometimes get "missing file" in the very first file copy stage. Also, your second file copy stage is very slow because of the way you repack the cabs. You have to use a very exact syntax to pack the cabs for a quick extraction. Copy the syntax from XPcreate. Great work overall!!

Sorry to say, but the new version doesn't fix the problem I'm having with "Computers near me" -- at least on the Dutch version of Windows 2000. I have to click away two script error dialogs, and that for every folder I'm trying to access on the network.

I'm now using my own executable, "hotfixes.exe", which installs all necessary hotfixes. I don't have the problem then.

(Incidentally, I still need the MDAC update according to WU.)

Is there maybe some kind of debugger I can use to check if something goes wrong during the slipstream process?

Edited by Tomcat76