HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@triplex - my fileset is language neutral. try the sp5 fileset (even if you are using sp3 or sp4) anyway, you'll have better results. no one has ever reported this file missing. it's a modem driver file, and maybe you're the one person who has a computer that looks for it and the bug was just waiting to be found? anyway, as i say, try the sp5 fileset. it's been known to work with every language; if you are at wits' end, you could take out your modem, install the os, and add your modem back i guess. you will see it has its own section in the TXTSETUP and LAYOUT files, and i am not sure why microsoft did this.

1. There is no modem connected to PC (VMware).

2. If I get this error while in setup mode (file copy from cd to hdd), then there must

be something wrong with an .inf file, does it .....

3. I took a closer look at your files and I guess I found the bug in one of your .inf´s

It should be a simple typo mdmrpci.inf -> mdmrpciw.inf

4. Attached two pics to light up things.

5. Will debug and try again once more.

6. Used unmodified W2K SP4 with sp5files.zip

EDIT: Files debugged, at least for German version 2 bugs found:

- Typo? in LAYOUT.INF

- Typo? in TXTSETUP.SIF

Under [sourceDisksFiles.X86] rename mdmrpci.inf -> mdmrpciw.inf

Then setup (filecopy) from cd to hdd runs flawless.

Now lets see if setup part two works ...

EDIT2:

It installed just fine.

fdv_fileset_bug.zip

Edited by tripleX

@kreative19 - Please see the attached file for what to hfslip. Besides have non-essential stuff, you are trying to slipstream IE5 files in there. You can't do that. Please see the attached and you should be good. Also, please do NOT edit the top portion of the error_report.txt file, unless you don't need our help.

@Oleg_II - I didn't really check the file names you have listed, but if you visit WU and it says it needs it, then put the file in the HF folder. Also, please see the attached file for a good start of what's needed.

@all - If you are unsure or do not trust someone's recommended hotfix list, install a barebones non-hfslipped windows, visit WU and see what's needed. Once you get the hotfixes required, put them into the HF folder and run HFSLIP.

Edited by tommyp

It's interesting to compare the hotfixes used by the two "gurus" of HFSLIP. Couple of questions:

TommyP includes the following hotfixes that FDV omits:

1. Windows2000-KB890859-x86-ENU.EXE (FDV, this looks like it is necessary)

2. WindowsMedia9-KB885492-x86-ENU.exe (is this necessary if you are planning to rip out Windows Media Player?)

TommyP does not include the latest Windows Media Player Codecs while FDV does (WindowsMedia9-KB891122-x86-ENU.exe).

@saugatak -

1. Windows2000-KB890859-x86-ENU.EXE is necessary. hit "reload" on your browser and have a closer look at my list. :whistle::P

2. which media player hotfix?

WindowsMedia9-KB891122-x86-Global-ENU.exe - for Windows 2000

WindowsMedia-KB891122-x86-ENU.exe - for Windows XP

extract wmfdist or wmfdist95 and put it in HF.

if you aren't installing WMP, you can still use one of these, because they are codecs only (see "Media Player 9/10 Codecs (optional)" note in instructions.)

Edited by fdv

@saugatak -

1. Windows2000-KB890859-x86-ENU.EXE is necessary. have a closer look at my list.  :whistle:  :P

Check out STEP 4 on your web page for Win2k SP5 :whistle:

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html

Windows2000-KB890859-x86-ENU.EXE is not listed and there's no link to it.

2. which media player hotfix?

WindowsMedia9-KB891122-x86-Global-ENU.exe - for Windows 2000

WindowsMedia-KB891122-x86-ENU.exe - for Windows XP

if you aren't installing WMP, you can still use one of these, because they are codecs only (see "Media Player 9/10 Codecs (optional)" note in instructions.)

It makes sense that you'd want to include the codecs even if you don't install Windows Media Player.

What I couldn't figure out was why TommyP installed a hotfix for Windows Media Player, specifically "WindowsMedia9-KB885492-x86-ENU.exe" and did not install the updated codecs in "KB891122" (whichever version).

I was wondering if TommyP had some critical insight, or didn't care about the codecs, or got the codecs from somewhere else.

@FDV, have you figured out how to get Outlook back into your fileset? Or is it too much work with the curveball M$ has thrown on the latest fixes?

Also, aside from auto updating, did QuickBooks give you any other problems if IE was removed?

tommyp, fdv

Thank you very much. This information is very usefull for the novice. It was my mistake, I thought fdv gives the hotfixes recommended to all in the previous picture.

fdv

Are you going to update your set of files? May I ask you to indicate the version also as it is much convinient to watch for the new versions :)

Edited by Oleg_II

A few minor issues about fdv's fileset:

1. Hfslip is looking for delfiles.txt, while in your fileset there is only a file named delfiles. (without any extension)... So it's not being processed. My guess is that you just have to rename it...

2. As hfslip copies all the files from fdvfiles to sourcess, readme.txt and delfiles.txt are being copied as well... So I think it could be nice adding to delfiles.txt (after renaming it...) the files readme.txt and delfiles.txt, as I really can't think of a good reason for them to be present on the cd :) It should be ok to delete delfiles.txt via delfiles.txt, as the file being processed is in fdvfiles, and the file being deleted is in sourcess.

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

@saugatak - A1) WindowsMedia9-KB885492-x86-ENU.exe isn't really needed, but I put it there anyway. It doesn't hurt to have it there, even if NOT using WMP. A2)I requested FDV to update his instruction set for slipstreaming the codecs, there was an err on the instructions. The user of HFSLIP is required to do manual processing of WindowsMedia9-KB891122-x86-Global-ENU.exe for HFSLIP to slipstream the wm9/wm10 codecs. My list has the fileset listed to slipstream the codecs correctly. BTW, HFSLIP is a hidden gem because it is capable of slipstreaming lots of other things now (I call it HFEXPERT), but you'll have to read the instruction set. I do not entertain questions on HFEXPERT stuff as all the information is there.

@pene - Please refer to step 20 of http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html for what to do with the delfiles file.

@all - Perhaps it's a good idea to include the error_report files on FDV's site. My concern is that someone with a non-english source will try to slisptream English hotfixes which will result in a failed installation. Also, I know I'll get the dreaded question on someone asking why they should slipstream codecs or WUA (or whatever else) when they don't want it.

@fdv

This is something i saw in the HFSLIP documentation, in the FAQ

Q. What about services? Which ones can I kill?

A1. Windows without services.

A2. Win2k is free of most of the ones that make using XP unbearable, so personally, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it.

Here is a useful third answer: there is an excellent resource at http://www.blkviper.com/ on the Win2k and WinXP services, both system and commonly added ones, along with which ones are safe to stop etc, as well as what they do.

W

@tommyp:

Thank you for your answer, and sorry for not noticing that...

Another thing that I'm not sure about: I see that placing LegitCheckControl.msi in HF gets the files LegitCheckControl.dll and GWFSPidGen.dll copied to System32.

What does this acheive? Just avoiding the need to install the activex control first time in IE? Should it work also when using setupp.ini from fdv's fileset that makes setup skip asking the serial number (or in that case it won't pass the validation process)?

Another issue - considering that the version of the files that you link to (in fdv's site) is 1.3.254 and the latest is 1.3.272, won't it ask anyway to update it to the new version?

A few additional questions, if you don't mind, about your error_report:

1. I noticed that you have the following IE6SP1 cabs in HFCABS: CRLUPD.CAB, IEEXINST.CAB, MPLAY2U.CAB, README.CAB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see them anywhere in the instructions... What do they add?

2. the_guy mentioned that IE-KB903235 is not necessary anymore, as it's included in KB896727 (and it seems that fdv removed it from the instruction list also), however you include it in your HF. Does it add anything or should it be ommited?

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

@fdv:

About the issue triplex was experiecing, it is not a typo. The english version contains both mdmrpci.inf and mdmrpciw.inf. The original inf files refer to mdmrpci.inf just as fdv's files, so renaming the lines that refer to mdmrpci.inf to mdmrpciw.inf could cause problems with the english version...

I guess the german version doesn't have the file mdmrpci.inf, and that causes the problem...

If you don't mind, I have a few questions about the filelist that you have in your HF dir. If you do mind, I respect your right to do whatever you wish to with your HF dir, and not explain anyone your reasons :)

1. WindowsUpdateAgent20 - Why do you include it when you rip IE out, (so you won't be able to use Windows Update anyway)? Does it update other components also?

2. KB894320 (Security Update for Windows 2000) - Why don't you include it, when it's listed in the general recommeded fixes list?

3. IE-KB903235 (Security Update for JView Profiler) - I understand why you include it, as it's an update meant for both IE 5.01 and 6.0. The question is, why did you omit it from the instructions when using 5.01 or ripping IE out?

Thanks,

Pene.

Edited by pene

saugatak - i meant 'hit reload,' as i was just in the process of adding that when you posted :D

TommyP installs codecs in a different way and so does not have a need for including the wmfdist in his own HF directory.

outlook - no, I won't be adding this back. I kept the installer for people to look at, but I realized that it's too much effort to get something to work when most everyone tells me they use Thunderbird anyway.

quickbooks - if you can tolerate the product, that is, it can be used with my fileset. other than updating i have not found any other issues.

Oleg_II - version numbers - sorry :blushing: i will do so. never really occurred to me.

pene - see TommyP's note about delfiles, the naming is on purpose, as for copying files over, HFSLIP grabs everything in the directory. skipping the files in question just adds a layer of complexity to HFSLIP to fix something that i thought was convenient (since it's a list of files deleted from the cd, that info is useful to me).

WindowsUpdateAgent - i have it because i play with implementing it now and again even when ripping ie out. i'll probably end up making an INF to install it, and call it AU.INF in my fileset so people can install it if they want it. later, though.

KB894320 - i added it to the picture, oops! good catch

KB903235 - the_guy says it's in the cumulative IE update now anyway, it was an oversight on my part

mdmrpci.inf - yeah, it's a file left out of the german version, so i will be fixing that, since my fileset has a lot of german users.

the_guy - 903235 delisted, thank you (but you say "both on his site," what other one did i miss??)

os2fan2 - ah! i knew it was viper something. thanks for the services url.

Edited by fdv

@fdv:

Thanks for your reply.

How can you implement Windows Update without IE? This sounds interesting... How can including WindowsUpdateAgent benefit me on an IE-less system?

Regarding your instructions, a few notes:

A direct link to the rootsupd thing, without the need to rename anything (same version):

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/rootsupd.exe

By the way, is the root certificates used only by IE? What I'm trying to realize is if it makes any sense to include it when removing IE...

Regarding XML4, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that point 1 there ".. download the MSICabExtract ..." is unnecessary and can be removed. It was relevant when there used to be a link to the msi installer of msxml and we needed to extract the exe from it, however now you give a direct link to the exe...

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene