HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

I'm using HFSLIP to slipstream WMP10 in Windows XP. I keep getting error about system restore is turned off.

The problem is similar as in this thread link. What am I doing wrong? Everything else (=hotfixes, switchless installers, regfiles etc.) goes well.

Is it possible it got something to do with a /DisallowSystemRestore WMP10 switch?

Thanks in advance.

@tommyp, I also found that hotfix KB898461 needed to be installed by WU even though it was in my hotfix folder. This is the new windows installer package so I guess it may require some other way of integration?

PG I get the same thing, I think its pretty much normal. Actually I'm surprised WU doesn't have a heart attack - not prepared to see HF's slipstreamed.

WU also wants to install its malware HF on mine. I'm not at all concerned about 2-3 HF's from WU when HFSLIP saves me 10-20 mins from the first WU's.

After using nLite my XP install takes exactly 16 mins !!! And my current PC is not all that fast.

@ Lupo WinXP = SYSOC.IN_

@Outatouch

Yes, I'm not complaining. 2 or 3 hotfixes is great compared to the 30 or more that would be needed without HFSLIP. I was confirming Electrician's findings on KB898461 because this may become more important in the future, so tommyp or fdv might like to investigate if they have time.

I am now hoping that I will not re-install XP for another year as my PC is running much smoother. Maybe SP3 will be out by then?

PG

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461 is not in the Rollup.

Rest assured, we will be taking care of this. One wonders why MS didn't do this in 1999.

More details in a few hours.

Anyone else have chronic insomnia?

@electrician - your accidental IE-free XP was wonderful to read about :D missing SYSOC creates an XP without a lot more, like for example COM would be missing. Such a config, would, believe it or not, be useable for most tasks.

Edited by fdv

Sorry for the delay.... the new version is up.

Things fixed... implemented fix for the new w2k rollup, rfliu2000's comment, wmp9/10 codec slipstreaming, improved dx9 slipstreaming, incorporated an HFExpert mode slipstream capability (be careful with this one), added the malicious software detection tool integration, fixed the KB898461, and some other things.

I haven't touched the issue with the point that Electician brings up with sysoc.inf. If he's missing that file in his xp, there is something wrong with his cd. According to all that I have read, every installation source has it and I'm not sure why he said what he did. Strange.

Have fun, good luck, and please use the new error reporting tool (if need be).

TP

Just tried the new version "HFSLIP_50921.cmd" and the new instructions on http://www.vorck.com .

I slipstreamed a german w2k - advanced server - booting inside vm 4.5. No more questions. I'm happy. And my computer is happy. And WU is also happy.

THANKS tommyp!

THANKS fdv!

PS: (had no other w2k here at work and vm 4.5 seems to be more stable on my laptop/notebook as 5.0).

perhaps someone should point out, that halmacpi.dll is only a problem for multi-cores ore multi-boards.

Edited by murvun

@Oleg_II, i am glad to report that you can use HelpExplorer.

http://www.kamasoftware.com/download.php

Download HelpExplorer and extract DINO_D67_v1.01_demo.

Find the BIN and GRC subdirectories and move them to C:\WINNT\

Create a shortcut for \BIN\helpexplorer.exe on your desktop.

It uses the Gecko rendering engine. The unfortunate thing is that if you associate files so that it opens when you double-click, it won't load the file. You have to load the program first, then the .CHM file. I'll see if that can't be dealt with.

fdv

Tried new set. Unfortunately OE still doesn't work. And there are two files in the set for it: msoe.inf and msoe50.inf - which should be used? I ran both, OE was installed but had the problems I described before.

And some file with hfslip-like name was missing in INF folder during installation. Sorry, I wrote it down but saved on desktop (Virtual PC on my testing system image), then restored my usual system image and lost it :( Will try it again later and let you know.

You wrote that some IE related hotfix maybe doesn't let OE to be installed correctly. And if I am not going to slipstream Rollup could it be the solution? Will try.

@Oleg_II - I have pulled support for Outlook completely now. You can delete the addreg section in MSOE.INF. Then, delete my MSOE50.IN_, then and rename MSOE.INF to be MSOE50.IN_. When you install again you'd have it. The trouble is, the hotfixes just mess with the registry keys and supporting it isn't quite possible for me how I have things set up with the files now. Do you still have my Outlook 6 standalone installer? If so, that's your best bet. That sucker was Limited Edition and I don't have it for download anymore, but IIRC it worked fine...

@All - Uh, hmm.. How to say this. If we move to a new forum, this will mean:

- that we will be tucked under the "other member projects" page, locked far away, and we run the risk of people not seeing us. Of course, we do have the first pinned post. Our hitrate is over 70,000 as I write this. We canput a link to a new forum, no problem.

However...

- TommyP and I are just hobbyists. We're a couple of regular guys just like you all (except for you gals like OS2Fan). TommyP works long hours managing the Zoo and I administrate a nursing home for senile COBOL programmers. We don't do this stuff full time, like the competition, which is still trying to figure out automatic folder creation and how to use fewer than 21 folders, etc. (When not busy scolding people for suggesting fixes). At the end of the day, TommyP smokes his fine cigars and composes sonnets, and I sip cognac and paint pictures of the landscape.

No, not really. But what I am getting at is that if we get our own forum, the demand for support will increase as well. What we don't want is to "do this so much" we don't have any time for anything else. What I need from you all is an indication that you'll bookmark a new forum, if we go that route (after all, it is up to the admins ultimately), and will lend a hand in the support and visit as often as you visit the Win NT/2K/2K3 forum.

Is there a consensus that a new forum is warranted from everyone? We've heard from two or three so far. And if so, have we got EVERYONE'S backing for visiting and support?

Also, Saturday is "tell a friend about HFSLIP" day ;) Be sure to spread the word, especially to admins who could use this fantastic tool. (But be sure to bring in people who aren't already MSFN members, let's get the word out about the forums too).

Edited by fdv