HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@Tommy @ FDV

Used the aug-something hfslip on my Win2k sp4 (+Gurgelmyers URP)

and worked like a charm. CHA CHA freaken CHA CHA CHA!! :thumbup

THANKS!

It worked so well, I have build a 2nd slip folder (XP_SLIP) and downloaded the appropriate files. The build locks up at T-9 (OUCH) and a reboot resumes from T-39 minutes only to hard-lock up again at the T-9. :o

I just built a disk from the source folder and it worked.

Will try again tomorrow. After I tripple check with a clearer brain. :blink:

btw I thought I read somewhere on MSFN that a cmd window can be called up during gui? I can't find a shift/ctrl/alt/function key combo to do it.

Am I delerious? If the lockup occurs again I would ike to poke around to see what is up. Guess a post-mortem using bartPE could work too.

Thanks for the hard work guys! I must go sleep.... :zzz:

@Electrician - You don't need to use Gurgelmyers URP to slipstream using HFSLIP. As long as all the hotfixes are in the HF folder, you're all set. To get a CMD window during windows setup, I think it's either shift+F10 or CTRL+F10.

Hi, I've been trying to make an HFSLIP'ed CD today but have run into a problem.

It's a simple install with very few extra files other than the type 1 hotfixes, WMP10, and Sun Java switchless package from Ryan.

When WindowXP setup gets to T-39 I get a fatal error message

SXS:DLL syntax error in manifest or policy file

"D:\I386\asms\60\microsoft\windows\common\controls\controls.man"

Error installation failed on line 5

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Fatal error

Starnge, I thought, so I re-installed windows from an old disk and did some checking on the Web. There was some agreement that this type of error message is due to a corrupt source file. Line 5 of the above file refers to an SHA1 check of the comctl32.dll file as follows:

<file name="comctl32.dll" hash="11f2b96b396fe88375a76e566628ed81b608b782" hashalg="SHA1">

I selected the comctl32.dll on the HFSLIP install disk and tried to copy it to C: but an error message ocurred saying the file is corrupted.

Oh dear, I thought, I must have got a bad CD, I'll try again.

I re-ran the HFSLIP_50906.cmd, re-made the ISO file and burnt another CD. But I got the same message again.

I am using cdimagegui to make the iso and cdburn to burn the CD.

The comctl32.dll file in SOURCESS appears to be OK in that it can be copied manually.

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I have no idea how to proceed. I cannot believe that two CDs had errors in the same file.

I am using the -sao option with CDBURN - could this be causing the problem?

P.S. where should I put the GDITOOL hotfix?

PG

Edited by PeterGau

@Tommy

re: Gurglemyers - ya but I did it anyway and since it worked, mute point.

Had a chance to redo the build for XP, same problem at T-9.

Here it is, another late nite at work, but before I head out, I wanted to drop

this...

XP SP2, English, Not using fdv removal, am using winnt sif for serial #

can't do hfnetchk as it system is non runnable.

Not adding anything on this last attempt (removed tweakui and a small reg file

that I had used last time - just in case). Will attach zip with contents of fldr.

What am I not seeing? :wacko:

contents.zip

@Electrician. You may want to read this: http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html for what fixes are to be placed into the HF folder. At first glance, W2K hotfixes don't belong there (msxml3.msi, rootsupd.exe, scripten.exe). XP comes with msxml3, rootsupd isn't needed, and scripten is an IE6SP1, XP is IE6SP2. Also, be sure that your XP source is SP2.

@tommyp

Thanks for your offer to help.

Fair point, I had been working on this for about 10 hrs so was a little tired - needed a beer.

I have attached my HF directory listing.

Other info:

I used my Windows XP home genuine source disk. I slipstreamed SP2 into this first.

Language is English. Not using FDV IE removal fileset.

I have used basically the same fileset to make a succesful install but without integrating the hotfixes (used the .inf method) which is the OS I am currently using.

Hope this is sufficient info to give you some clues.

I need to find a utility to verify file integrity I think.

PG

HFDIR.txt

Hello

This is my first post on the hfslip thred i hope i post it right

I have some problem using hfslip i am trying to slipstream new hotfixes to a swedish windows2000 disk. Hfslip slipstreams all the hotfixes and wmp9,dx9 and ie6 with no errors. I have followed hfslips guide.

The cd boots fine but the problem is after install has copied all the files and repartion the drive and then restart the install tries to go in to the part detecting devices but it fails and restarts over and over again and dosent continue.

What can be the problem hotfixes taking out each other?

I attach a picture showing what i am trying to slipstream

post-54764-1126349209_thumb.jpg

Edited by rabidrodent

Hi,

I'm fairly sure that my problem lies with the ISO creation process.

I really don't want to use Nero after I had to download it on dial-up after it failed with SP2. I do have my original install disk but would have to download the latest version again, now on broadand thankfully. Talk about bloatware ~90megs for full version and badly constructed/confusing website.

So I will try to use command line version of cdimage, not GUI version.

Can anyone suggest correct switches for this with HFSLIP files?

I have found many ideas for this on the web so will try to sift through.

dreaMMar's success gives me encouragement that this will be worth persisting with.

PG

Edited by PeterGau

@PeterGau - The issue you have with HFSLIP is because you renamed the files you downloaded from Microsoft. A typical type 1 HF has this name:

WindowsXP-KB885836-x86-ENU.exe (for English anyway). I sent you a PM to help you rename your files.

@rabidrodent - Obviously you didn't read the instructions on the first posting of this thread.

* The following do NOT belong in your HF folder.

dotnetfx.exe, js56nsv.exe, the two NDP files, Q818043, Q832843. In fact, you don't need any of those files.

*The following files are named incorrectly and not processed correctly:

WGA and the WUAgent20. Please refer to http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html on how to get the correct files and what to do with them.

* http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html also tells you how to work with the dotnet installation.

@dreaMMar - Thanks for the words of encouragement and thanks for posting. It's pretty cool that the program works halfway around the world. :)

Edited by tommyp

Hi!

Great stuff this script! Many thanks TommyP! I am creating a Windows 2003 Server (German) disk at the moment and I have some questions:

I want also slipstream some other updates which are:

WindowsServer2003-KB842773-x86-deu.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB891957-x86-DEU.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB901105-v3-x86-DEU.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB903081-x86-DEU.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB903235-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB903234-x86-DEU.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB894391-x86-enu.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB898060-v2-x86-enu.exe

WindowsServer2003-KB898715-x86-deu.exe

But unfortunately I get some errors (File not found) while the hotfixes are extracted (in the :hf procedure of your CMD-file). I have searched a bit in your code and discovered that this is because at the time when you create the "INF.TXT" file (in the :hf1extract procedure) there is no .INF file in the "TEMP/Update" directory anymore.

The code I refer to:

DIR TEMP\UPDATE\*.INF /B >INF.TXT

FOR /F %%I IN (INF.TXT) DO (

SET /A HFSLIP=!HFSLIP! + 1

COPY TEMP\UPDATE\%%I "WORK\INFS\!HFSLIP!.INF"

)

DEL /F /Q INF.TXT

RD /Q /S TEMP\UPDATE

And the output also shows "0 file(s) copied" when the above updates are extracted (after the "file not found" message). I have tried to fix it myself but it's too complex and unfortunately I don't have much experience with this topic.

By the way: I want to compliment you to your code. It must have been a great lot of work!! Respect!

I would be very grateful if you help me.

Many Thanks

Berki

@ Malonie

Having an error(s) on the first few tries (with anything) is not uncommon. It took me a few trial runs to get HFSLIP running perfectly for me. I tested each run on a virtual pc in order to troubleshoot any problems.

Sometimes when I can't find the problem I start again from scratch:

Take all hotfixes, files, etc out of the various folders

Possibly redownload HFSLIP

Start again at STEP ONE of the directions reading carefully and assuming nothing. (This will be where I most likely went wrong.)  If you find something in the directions you don't quite understand ask for clarification here in the forum/thread.

HANG IN THERE - YOU'LL GET IT !! - If I can get it to work anyone can  B)

@PeterGau: Hang in there you'll get it running for you. Its well worth the effort and you will get to learn a lot in the process.

ALSO I kept getting "unexpected 7-zip error" during instalation. I removed RyanVM's java pack from the HFSVPK Folder and the problem went away. His netfix(.NET) pack works fine.

@ToomyP: I noticed a post about KB890046 not slipstreaming corectly with a non englis version. Just thought I'd let you know I have the same experience (US english version).

@ tommyp: Many thanks to you and FDV for your work. This project has given me some idea of the complexities of Windows and the problems you must have battled with.

Thanks for your idea regarding file rename back to MS originals. I did this, re-ran HFSLIP and used some new options on cdimage and everything appears to be very OK. Hurray! A samll number of updates were needed from MS but nothing much.

You never know, I might try nlite next.

I will post my cdimage switches later, this might be useful for people who want to use this instead of Nero, Roxio etc.

There are some people who say that cdimage cannot be used to create a bootable XP install CD.

@outtatouch: thanks for your words of encouragement, it can be stressful when the install can fail at any moment and your PC is out of commission.

It's amazing how difficult MS have made this for all of us.

PG